Opinions on modern sealed?

Hey guys, what is your opinion about modern sealed? Do you think it’s just a bubble or do they think they will do well long term. I usually buy 2 every set when they come out one to rip and one I likely to keep sealed just because my goal is to display them because I like too. Now that we are post Logan Paul hype era do thing modern sealed will do well or do you think it will become beanie babies and most likely pop figures which in 30 years you will find them in garage sales or on eBay for just best offer? Promise not blowing paycheck on sealed cases just curious your guys opinion been a hot topic recently in a few discord and YouTube lives.

1 Like

English modern sealed is pretty much the last thing I would ever invest in for multiple reasons:

a.) incredibly saturated;
b.) everyone else and their hamster are doing it;
c.) space issues;
d.) probably the worst customer base you can have

23 Likes

So buying booster boxes for my dog not a good idea? :joy:

1 Like

If you like them and you keep them for display, why asking if this is a bubble?
Don’t let other telling you what is cool and what is junk, just collect what you like! They’re neat items.

If you want to “”invest”” I really don’t know, is my understanding that japanese is better.

7 Likes

I collect because it makes me happy and it’s a display thing. I plan to bring my kids and grandkids to collect a con and other conventions. I am confident Pokémon will be around like how Disney is pikachu and Mickey will be relevant is 200 years. But I was just curious because I know there’s a ton of modern investors. Most I have ever done on the investor side was buy slabs but sealed was a personal collection thing not an investment. It’s been a topic recently so curious how people feel.

1 Like

If it’s only for a display like you’re saying here, then why do you care whether or not they are in a bubble?

EDIT: @decoypalmette beat me to it.

3 Likes

Just discussion honestly this is the stuff that pops in my head a lot and I listen to a lot of podcast. when I’m working so one of them was talking about modern sealed market. If you’re active on the e4 forum you’re in a deeper sect of the hobby and just like real collectors and hobbiest opinions. Plus makes my shift go by faster.

1 Like

Sealed modern investing is so boring, I’d rather just automate some s&p500 deposits and call it a day. Plus if you plan on putting any meaningful amount of money into sealed booster boxes you will very quickly need a lot of space, and they’ll probably be a pain to sell on & ship later on. I don’t doubt some of it will go up & do well price wise but all the factors outside of price just turn me off so much

1 Like

this ezpz

SwSh era is highest print run in existence and boxes are all over $100 now even the worst boxes. Modern sealed will definitely appreciate in value once they’re out of print, but literally everyone is holding onto that shit and bag holding. Literally back then stores wanted to dump their product and had hard times selling boxes and had to even sell at loss. The complete opposite is happening where stores do not have enough product, it is flying out of shelves, and into the hands of many basement dwellers. I personally only collect cards, I don’t care about sealed product whatsoever and the people who are expecting to 20x their money in 5-10 years are delusional!

2 Likes

Investing in modern sealed was a great idea…in 2005. It’s not a great idea in 2023 because, as Cerulean said, everyone’s doing it.

Anecdote-in-point: my parents often browse this weekly flea market near where they live. My dad is aware that some Pokemon boxes are in the 5-figures, and so he always texts me photos whenever he sees sealed product for sale there (just in case lol). To make a long story short, whenever he goes, I end up getting like 20 texts from him over the course of the morning with photos of what is invariably modern sealed product. This shit is everywhere. And it’s primarily being held by the same sort of low-capital speculators who bought into Beanie Babies and baseball cards in the 90s.

11 Likes

Also to add on to another note: At what price point is too much?

Collectibles are niche and not everyone into collectibles is a millionaire and can cop out thousand dollar cards or boxes here and there. I think there will be a time in Pokemon where product will hit their all time peak because the future average collector cannot attain such an item and whales today already have their acquisitions. I do not see Pokemon increasing significantly in the distant future, for the truly scarce cards which are items for the whales I do see the value potential. But in highly printed sets I don’t see such a come up because trends change and I don’t think it is an attainable hobby if every SwSh box magically becomes $500+ (300+ for BST) in 5-10 years and people do this for every era, we’ll eventually hit a point where the demand will drop because not everyone has the patience to hold and people will paper hand so fast and only time will tell.

1 Like

To play devils advocate:
a.) Problem softened due to demand
b.) Problem softened due to demand
c.) English booster boxes literally cant be any more condensed. I understand the hate for other sealed boxes/premium character boxes but you cant store 36 booster packs any better than an english booster box.
d.) Statement kind of built from nuance/hive mind imo, also considering how english modern does more volume than literally ANY other part of the tcg by far, the complaint to sale ratio doesnt average out to me.

1 Like

In regards to your last statement, have you sold any modern english online?

Nope just my inference from the outside

I like it as long as I can make money off it

I think that SWSH is different from any other series due to its saturation. I still believe that super long term, the price of sealed will naturally increase but probably at a much slower rate over another series like SM or XY. There could be outliers like Evolving Skies or whatever that I’m sure you’d find out if you’re dedicated to buying some sealed from literally every set released. In my opinion if I wanted to sit on something from SWSH I’d probably sit on the Alternate Art Vs or something, save the space, and wait and see if they go through a phase 5 years from now like how Tag Team Alternates are doing. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with holding on to SWSH modern sealed, at the end of the day you do you, but I don’t believe it’s the most efficient sealed product to hold.

I know it’s been suggested before but you could maybe make a spreadsheet with different products across the entire TCG you would personally buy right now (without spending actual money), set a dollar amount or something, and then track those items over the next few years. It would give you something extra to do for fun and keep track of down the line.

100% this! A similar story I remember from Worlds 2017, the players received burning shadows boxes. One of the overly confident players said it would be identical to dragon frontiers… Seriously. Fast forward 6 years, boxes have increased a bit to about 300ish, meanwhile the japanese boxes are triple that price.

The thing new speculators don’t realize is they are new. The same conversation has happened for decades. Why the previous era’s boxes have done so well is because less people were hoarding. The more people hoarding the slower the growth. Its why japanese sealed typically does better because there are more barriers to entry.

4 Likes

Probably could have just bought dragon frontiers for a little more in 2017 and hed be a lot happier now

2 Likes

Love hamsters :hamster:

1 Like

The way I look at it. If they go up in value, great, if not get some buddies together and have fun ripping them in a few years :man_shrugging:

14 Likes