Carddass Pocket Monsters (Pokemon) Anime Collection

Carddass Pocket Monsters (Pokemon) Anime Collection

Discussion and visual reference

A brief contextual history

On February 27, 1996 the first Pokémon games, Pokémon Red and Green Versions (and Blue on October 15,1996), were released onto the Nintendo Game Boy system in Japan.
The popular titles gave rise to a number of products being released in succession. Bandai, a manufacturer of toys and other products, obtained a licence and manufactured a set of collectible cards in 1996.

1. Carddass Pokémon Monsters Collection Series (1996)

[Green (part 1) and Red (part 2)]

At the time the franchise was unable to provide a great amount of source material to really draw from, and the artwork was in its absolute infancy. The franchise had nothing like the built out world and depth of characters that the franchise has evolved into today. The images appeared largely static and the pokemon came across as very similar to their basic sprite counterparts in the game.

In 1997 Bandai released their second major type of collectible Carddass Pokémon offering:

2. Pokémon Carddass Series (1997)

[part 3 and 4]

While the first series captured the game’s sprite like nature, these parts featured a more dynamic look at the pokemon and provided a real sense of action which really served to stimulate the imagination.
It was during that same year that Pokémon premiered in Japan (April 1, 1997), on TV Tokyo.

Suddenly the world of Pokémon had a co-ordinated heartbeat and people loved to immerse themselves completely in the Pokemon world and story.

The next natural progression for Bandai was to release a Carddass series that featured the anime itself, which provided numerous iconic moments and artwork that collectors would be drawn to. This turned out to be the:

3. Carddass Pocket Monsters Anime Collection Series (1998-1999)

These cards captured moments of the animated TV series and showcased a range of moments that were funny, cute, intense, sweet etc.

In total there are 8 parts which were released quarterly over the two years.

Timing context:
Pokémon first aired on TV in the USA on September 8, 1998.
The TCG was also introduced to North America on January 9, 1999
—The following year Bandai released:

4. Carddass Pocket Monsters Anime Collection Gold and Silver Series (2000)

In the year 2000, 3 additional parts were released to continue cataloguing moments from the anime.
These 3 parts are where the Carddass Anime Collection concludes.

It is worth mentioning, that while there are many more Carddass products, not all of them are traditional cards or sizes.

Table Summary

Year Part Total
1998 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート1 Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 1 (Carddas Pokémon Anime Collection Part 1) 45 cards
1998 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート2ミュウツーの逆襲 編 Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato Edition 2 Myuutsuu Hent-Gyew Anime Part 2 Myuutsuu Hent-GyewCollection 45 cards
1998 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート3グレン島の戦い編 Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 3 Guren-Touno tatakai-Hen (Carddas Pokémon Anime Collection Part 3 Issue Battle Island Cinnamon) 45 cards
1998 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート4ミュウツー登場 編 Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Pāto 4 Edition Myuutsuu Hentwo CardinalAnime Collection Part 4 Myuutsuu Hentwo-Moujou Anime Collection 45 cards
1999 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート5ポケモンリーグ突入 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Edition Paato 5 Poketto Tue Pokas Run Monsutaa Pokas Pokas-Riu PokasCollection 45 cards
1999 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート6オレンジ諸島 突入 編 Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 6 Orenji Shotou Totsun Islands RunPokémon Orange Edition 6 45 cards
1999 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート7ルギ ア 爆 誕 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Pāto 7 Rugia Edition Bakutan-HenAnime Collection Part 7 45 cards
1999 カードダスポケットモンスターアニメコレクションパート8オレンジ諸島 完結 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 8 Edition Orenji Shotou Henas KanketsuOrange Anime Collection 45 cards
2000 カ ー ド ダ ス ポ ケ ッ ト モ ン ス タ ー ア ニ メ コ レ ク シ ョ ン パ ー ト 1 金 ・ 銀 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 1 Kin ・ Gin-Hen(Carddas Gold • Silver Anime Collection) Version 1 45 cards
2000 カ ー ド ダ ス ポ ケ ッ ト モ ン ス タ ー ア ニ メ コ レ ク シ ョ ン パ ー ト 2 金 ・ 銀 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 2 Kin ・ Gin-Hen(Carddas Gold • Silver Anime Collection) Version 2 45 cards
2000 カ ー ド ダ ス ポ ケ ッ ト モ ン ス タ ー ア ニ メ コ レ ク シ ョ ン パ ー ト 3 金 ・ 銀 編Kaadodasu Poketto Monsutaa Anime Korekushon Paato 3 Kin ・ Gin-Hen(Carddas Gold • Silver Anime Collection) Version 3 45 cards

A big thanks to PokemonCentral for the table above.

Alright, I’ll go straight to the cards. These will serve as a visual reference and I will add more information at the end.

Cards 1-293

Click to show

EX Cards - 13 (1998)

Click to show

Movie Cards (1998-1999)

Click to show

Movie cards - Gold and Silver (2000)

Click to show

Gold and Silver (2000)

Click to show

F.A.Q

Are they stickers or cards?

Strictly speaking they are cards. There are sticker overlays on the hidden prism cards though. Those stickers have no non-prism counterpart in the set, meaning the image on the sticker is unique and only released in sticker form.

What are Hidden Prisms?

Some of the sets contain a Hidden Prism, which is essentially a secret rare. These cards are truly secret and hidden from view unless you know what to look for.

They appear normal, however, when their outer sticker is removed they reveal a previously concealed prism.

The boxes containing these secret prisms only house a maximum of 1 per box unlike the other prisms which often contain duplicates.

They are considered rare, and both the unpeeled and peeled versions have been desirable to collectors.

The following are hidden prisms:

Click to show

Can I see a box opening?

You can view a box opening for part 1 in this Japanese youtuber’s video.

Do they grade well?

They do and the PSA pop reports attest to this. However, much like everything else vintage within the Pokémon community, cards in clean and pristine condition are becoming harder to come by with many of the boxes rarely making an appearance on the international public market.

Where can I get them?

If you want graded cards then eBay is still your best bet. You can also get raw cards on eBay.
Additionally, you can search on both Yahoo Japan and mercari, but there isn’t the same turnover rate as the previous Carddass generations, these are not as readily accessible and complete parts don’t appear all that often.

Is there anything I should know before purchasing any of these cards?

Beware of counterfeits. Most of them aren’t too difficult to spot as counterfeiters tend to turn any card into a prism (holo), whether originally it is or not.

Most of the other indicators to check are: the copyright information isn’t missing or altered, the image ratio and placement is correct, the colouring is accurate and vivid and the overall image and text appear clear. I will probably go into greater detail at some point. But really, just knowing what the original prism (holo) pattern looks like, and knowing which ones are prisms will get you most of the way across the line.

Counterfeiters think that if they take a set of cards which were largely undocumented publicly, and then scan the images, and print them onto some shiny stock that makes them seem rare, then they can easily sell them off to uneducated/ignorant flippers and/or collectors.

Here is an example of some counterfeits.

But even grading companies such as PSA and Beckett have graded similar counterfeits.

Click to show

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/arcanine-krabby-magnemite/values/2591371!

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/golbat-kingler-seadra/values/2591366

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/cloyster-kingler/values/2524301

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/gary-oak-golem-nidoking/values/2591373

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/doduo-mankey-rattata/values/2591370

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1998-pokemon-japanese-bandai/ash-others/values/2805066

… and a bootleg, sure.
www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1998-pokemon-japanese-bandai/zapdos-prism/values/2035661

www.psacard.com/auctionprices/tcg-cards/1999-pokemon-japanese-bandai-carddass-vending-series-5/meowth-persian/values/2524230

These are just a handful of examples, so be a little careful.

Some quick notes in closing

My collection is in storage, so I collated images from various sources - auction listings, store listings, ebay listings etc for the images contained in the visual reference. That is why the quality ranges from decent to potato, and also why the colours vary greatly. It’s not meant to be a detailed gallery, just a basic visual reference to know what each cards is and whether it is a prism (holo) card or not.

…and yes - I aligned them all manually in photoshop and it took forever.
If I have made any mistakes or omissions, please be patient with me.

51 Likes

Love the post will check every single card posted haha. Creepy avatar tho xD

1 Like

Nice post! I have some of these from when I was a kid and never knew too much about them.

1 Like

Scrolling down has never looked so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

Awesome thread! These are some of my favorite cards, love all the snorlax ones. Great work!

1 Like

Correct.
They love turning non-holos into holos and cards into stickers. Here is another example:

and another:

2 Likes

Woah how helpful this was! It looks like that i’m only missing one card for my grimer and muk collection here, these kinds of lists give a much needed peace of mind when you want to know how close to completing something you are :grin:

1 Like

Also, according to what you wrote i might have bought a fake card, am i correct to assume that the number 64 with muk and professor oak in it shouldn’t have a holo version? I bought one some time ago and it’s still in mail so i can’t compare it to my non holo card

That’s correct. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Well, it’s only money but pity that it cuts the card out of my collection and i don’t like knowing i’ve supported fake card production :E

2 Likes

That is a lot of photos! Really great info. Thanks so much!

1 Like

It’s a real shame but don’t beat yourself up over it.

Great write up, nice to see you back on the forum!

1 Like

This fake looks incredibly similar, even the corners are cut the same. Aside from the ‘Made in Japan’ is the ink difference very obvious & does the card texture give it away?

I always feel so bad when someone is trying to sell me prism anime cards and I have to be the bearer of bad news and tell them it’s a fake :sob:
Great guide btw, more reason to share this thread with people interested in collecting this set.

2 Likes

@rainbowgx, @mrpandachum,Thanks for this post great information here. As someone looking to purchase the Set 3&4 Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise set I’ve pointed out many good fakes on ebay. Most notably looking at the two divets from the perforated paper. It would seem like the best way is to buy it individually as the groups have 2 cards that check out and 1 fake (charizard). Kinda discouraging but glad this information is out here!

Hi all,
My information is we can’t distinguish if it’s real or fake from if “MDAE IN JAPAN” text exist.
They are HK version (no MADE IN JAPAN text) but Licensed. In the 1998-1999, they are popular we can get them from offical vending machine with a coin.

Can anyone help me understand the “stands” that are shown in the “panel” section in the OP? They look like they have a card stuck to the front? They usually go for a decent amount of money on auction but I dont really get why. I don’t think the cards come with it… I have a Series 8 box with all the cards sealed in it so…

Hi hlshih. I see you have concerns about the consensus that some of the cards are not genuine. Primarily your concern is about legitimising the cards that omit the “made in japan” segment of the footer on some of the cards in circulation (as shown above), as you understand these to be reissues produced in Hong Kong (HK) and for the HK market.
I am not closed minded to the possibility, however, for as long as I can remember seeing these cards, many people, including me, have been under the impression that these are in fact not genuine cards and no information has been able to be found to support their authenticity (at least so far).
The concerns that lead to the presumption of their inauthenticity were formed around the following:
The cards are visibly different in many ways:

1. They appear to be cut on different machines,
  2. The colouring of the ink is noticeably different,
  3. The text has been omitted (“made in japan”);
    And they rarely are sold from Japan.

For a series plagued with counterfeits, it certainly isn’t obvious if they are in fact a licensed Hong Kong version. Which, if it turns out to be true is fantastic – but we will need proof.
But speaking of counterfeits this leads me to the next discussion point:
The footer has many variants appearing on known counterfeits. For example these aren’t the cards you have outlined in your concerns, and are 100% counterfeits.

Our first example has only a purported year on the footer (and is missing the copright information in the header). These counterfeits show there is an precedent towards making such modifications.

Our second example omits the entire footer, including the copyright information normally within the header.

You can see why there is cause for healthy concern when identifying these attributes, when a collector is looking to purchase authentic cards that match their expectations against known genuine products.

But I am honestly very curious about your origin comment and would like to know the truth and would require evidence to support it.
With this in mind I started searching for other cards that may corroborate or at least give some credibility to the proposed origin of these cards. What I found was some Yugioh cards had the same treatment with a removal of the “made in japan” segment of the footer in addition to other copyright information changes, and the seller also claimed they are Hong Kong versions.
A Japanese back produced by Bandai in Japan.

A purported Hong Kong Version with english backing.

This would seem to support your comment.
Some additional photos of how they were packaged.

Notice how the alleged Hong Kong version of the Yugioh card is visibly different to the original in the same three ways I outlined earlier. Also the box they came in was nondescript and contained no branding with cards segmented into identical bundles. Normally vending cards aren’t packaged this way and are typically randomised.
I did manage to find this website which has recorded the various Bandai Yugioh card backings, including this one, and have labelled it as an English back with the comment of having had “no known uses”. So far I am unable to find any documented evidence of these versions being licensed.

I would happily change my view to them being official if sufficient supporting evidence was provided that these were in fact licenced products.
Hopefully someone can provide the proof required, but until that happens I personally will continue to hold them under the umbrella of counterfeits (and trust me, I would be super excited by the revelation of a Hong Kong licensed version).

I hope this is a satisfactory response to address your concerns. Thank you for your comment.

6 Likes

Sadly I think a bunch of the repros without the MADE IN JAPAN text got graded by PSA and are currently being sold on eBay. I just bought a couple, the seller didn’t post photos of the backsides… so I didn’t know. Should I contact PSA? Do they care? What should I do if the seller seems legit but is selling a bunch of these?