Battle Region speculation thread

Hello y’all

I couldn’t see/find a Battle Region thread already, so please accept my apologies Mods if there is one

So we know that Character Rares are continuing in Battle Region, next Japanese set. Obviously, as the NUMBER ONE Cameo collector, I am super excited by this!

Excitement of a new Garchomp/Cynthia and Misty/Starmie character rares aside, I wanted so shamelessly speculate…

These are the cards we know already… Now, we know that the full art’s have a non full art in the set as well. For example, starmie character rare and non character rare.

BUT, my attention was drawn to…

Whilst there is nothing particularly wrong with Miltank, it struck me as a strange choice. Miltank has been printed 11 times, not including a few build/boxes. Equally, in every set, it has been a common/uncommon. I note that in Battle Region, it will be the first time that she’s being printed as a rare. Even in Neo Genesis, her debut showing was as an uncommon. Now obviously, rares in the new world order are bulk, but still I thought interesting that she’s making her first showing as a rare.

I HUMBLY SPECULATE THAT SHE’S IN THE SET BECAUSE A CHARACTER RARE MILTANK IS COMING.

I have no idea who Zach is, but it was the only image that I could find. But any pokemon player recognises this gameplay state… There is only one Miltank of note… The level 20 terror, feared Nuzlocke ender and ace of Goldenrod City.

Is coming!

11 Likes

Nice job noticing about Miltank. I could definately see a Miltank & Whitney card :blush:

It’s always disappointing when a pokemon doesn’t ever get a single decent chase card. I was really excited to see octillery get a cool character rare. Really hope miltank and many other overshadowed og pokemon gets a nice character rare.

5 Likes

Whole set has been revealed.

For secret rares, my speculation is below:

68 Vileplume CHR with Erika
69 Chandelure CHR with Shauntal (confirmed)
70 Wyrdeer CHR with Azeru (confirmed)
71 Kleavor CHR with Lian (confirmed)
72 Miltank CHR with Whitney
73 Virizion V FA
74 Starmie V FA
75 Hisuian Typhlosion V FA
76 Hisuian Decidueye V FA
77 Hisuian Samurott V FA
78 Garchomp V FA
79 Cyllene FA
80 Roxanne FA
81 Kamado FA
82 Virizion V CSR
83 Starmie V CSR with Misty (confirmed)
84 Garchomp V CSR with Cynthia (confirmed)

It doesn’t make much sense - the large gap and lack of cards between Kleavor CHR and Starmie V CSR. My assumptions were that CHR cards were holos leaving only Vileplume available before Chandelure and either Absol or Miltank after Kleavor. Technically there are a few other holos - Pyroar, Keldeo, Gallade & Diancie but none are possible.

I am guessing that full arts will be shifted in between CHR and CSR so if Miltank is in, then that leaves a possible CSR for Virizion - seeing that the other 2 non-VSTAR Vs are getting CSRs.

However, I did miss any alternate arts, so either the Hisuian starters are getting VSTAR alternate arts or you can disregard the list lol. Not sure how VSTAR alternate arts will work anyway given that the 1/4 copypasta star has to be shoehorned in. Terrible design.

Move the SR Supporters to 85, 86 and 87, and you’ll have space for 3 Hisuian starter special art Vs

68 Vileplume CHR with Erika
73 Virizion V FA
74 Starmie V FA
75 Hisuian Typhlosion V FA
76 Hisuian Typhlosion V SA
77 Hisuian Decidueye V FA
78 Hisuian Decidueye V SA
79 Hisuian Samurott V FA
80 Hisuian Samurott V SA
81 Garchomp V FA
82 Virizion V CSR
85 Cyllene FA
86 Roxanne FA
87 Kamado FA
88 HR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR
89 HR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
90 HR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR
91 HR Cyllene
92 HR Roxanne
93 HR Kamado
94 UR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR
95 UR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
96 UR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR
97 UR Turbo Stall / Cancelling Lure / Honey (Item)
98 UR Jubilife Village (Stadium)

This is based on the assumption that S9 Star Birth sets the tone of what sets will look like this year - key points are:

• every V in the set gets an SR V
  • every V-STAR in the set gets an HR V-STAR
  • every SR Supporter gets an HR Supporter
  • some of the Pokémon V are selected to also get a special art V
  • the set mascot (Arceus) certainly gets a special art V and UR gold V-STAR. For S9a Battle Region, the mascots are the Hisuian starters
3 Likes

Thanks for the input! I think Virizion V CSR should be changed to Virizion AA because going by the ‘rules’, they’ve upped it to 4 alternate arts per set. Don’t think Virizion is associated with any trainer anyway to get a CSR.
edit: Don’t think it will establish a new rule, but if CHRs and CSRs become a permanent fixture, then it’s like every V in the set will get an alternate art lol. Either a ‘traditional’ alt art or a CSR. They really need to increase guaranteed JP set secret rares to 2 if that is the case. It’s already getting dodgy that they first dropped the guarantee last year (was it with the Duraludon/Rayquaza sets?) before it seemingly returned when the secret rares continue to increase.

They’re not CR’s but we have these two lovely sneaky cameo’s as well!

I’m in two minds about whether they’d do another Erika’s Vileplume. They did echo Cosmic Eclipse with Vmax Climax by doing Acerola/Mimikyu’s - but I’d say that’s an exception rather than the rule. I’d obviously be thrilled if they did,

1 Like

@koala, I think that list is extremely likely. Excellent set list analysis as always.

I’m not sure how I feel about the gold VSTAR, I much preferred the gold Shinies instead. But I suppose the Sparkling cards will fill that role as a homage to the DPPt era SH cards.

i wrote out my prediction and then realized it was basically the same as yours except i dont think virizion will get a CSR, but a SA instead.

i also dont think we will get any gold vstars in this set, but instead it’ll be reserved for dialga and palkia vstar next set

for the item, i think it’ll be cancelling lure because it’s the only one that is actually good.

Looks like Japan revealed Roxanne FA which *looks* like 081

www.pokeguardian.com/sets/set-lists/japanese-sets/851131_s9a-battle-region-all-sr-chr-csr-ur-cards

Roxanne was leaked as #81/67 and Hisuian Samurott (Gold) as #91. Also a picture of Jubilife Village but without a number.

Unless there’s a wacky order, there is no space for the Hisuian starters’ V’s alternate arts. Weird if Virizion will be the only one.
Potentially the alternate arts could be VSTARs instead, which would mean RRs for VSTARs are gone as well as RR trainers (finally) or if one of these remain, then that sucks.
Imagine keeping rainbow rare trainers or rainbow rare Pokemon or even Gold Pokemon instead of alternate arts. Awful if true.

68 Vileplume CHR with Erika69 Chandelure CHR with Shauntal (confirmed)
73 Virizion V FA
74 Starmie V FA Virzion V AA
75 Hisuian Typhlosion V FA Starmie V FA
76 Hisuian Typhlosion V SA Hisuian Typhlosion V FA
77 Hisuian Decidueye V FA Hisuian Decidueye V FA
78 Hisuian Decidueye V SA Hisuian Samurott V FA
79 Hisuian Samurott V FA Garchomp FA
80 Hisuian Samurott V SA Cyllene FA
81 Garchomp V FA Roxanne FA (confirmed)
82 Virizion V CSR Kamado FA
85 Cyllene FA HR Hisuian Typhlosion VSTAR
86 Roxanne FA HR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
87 Kamado FA HR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR
88 HR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR HR Roxanne
89 HR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR UR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR
90 HR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR UR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
91 HR Cyllene UR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR (confirmed)
92 HR Roxanne UR Trainer
93 HR Kamado UR Jubilife Village
94 UR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR
95 UR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
96 UR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR
97 UR Turbo Stall / Cancelling Lure / Honey (Item)
98 UR Jubilife Village (Stadium)

What if 088/067 is a UR shiny? We still don’t have a gold card based on pre-release holos from Fusion Strike (or even Brilliant Stars)

It could actually be that neither Typhlosion or Decidueye get gold cards and all the rainbows are in.

So they really just cut alt arts…who makes these decisions…getting rid of the most desired cards and still propping up trash CGI recolours.
Also, I thought CHR/CSR cards were meant to be made for competitive cards? Octillery, Houndoom etc. Don’t play the game so I wouldn’t know, but from watching ptcgradio it doesn’t sound like Starmie or Garchomp are all that good. Apparently Chandelure is crap, so yeah, not sure why they get immediate CHR/CSR (beyond the fact that Misty and Cynthia are super popular) whilst Fusion Arts and Star Birth cards remain untouched.

Seems like the set’s configuration is a right mess. They also touted “Sparkling” Pokemon which ended up being 3 cards.

Starting to picture it more like this now:

68 Vileplume CHR
72 Virizion V FA
73 Virizion V SA
74 Hisuian Typhlosion V FA
75 Hisuian Typhlosion V SA
76 Hisuian Decidueye V FA
77 Hisuian Decidueye V SA
78 Hisuian Samurott V FA
79 Hisuian Samurott V SA
80 Cyllene FA
81 Roxanne FA (confirmed)
82 Kamado FA
85 HR Hisuian Typhlosion VSTAR
86 HR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
87 HR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR
88 UR shiny Pokémon (Fusion Strike/Brilliant Stars pre-release)
89 UR Hisuian Typhlosion V-STAR
90 UR Hisuian Decidueye V-STAR
91 UR Hisuian Samurott V-STAR (confirmed)
92 UR Turbo Stall / Cancelling Lure / Honey (Item)
93 UR Jubilife Village (Stadium)

VMAX Climax CSRs don’t have an SR counterpart so it would be hard to imagine Starmie V and Garchomp V having it too. CSR is another type of SR so it still falls in line with the concept that every V gets an SR

Also, several past sets each have 4 special arts:
Star Birth - 4 V
Fusion Arts - 3 V, 1 VMAX
Blue Sky Stream / Skyscraping Perfection - 3 V, 1 VMAX
Jet-Black Poltergeist / Silver Lance - 3 V, 1 VMAX
so it’s possible Virizion V could have a special art alongside the Hisuian starters (it’d be strange to cut out special arts in a set that’s including a small pool of CHR/CSRs)

How many VMAX Climax CSRs were new cards though? It was just Morpeko V Union and Mimikyu VMAX.

Neither of which qualify for a FA anyway.

Hope you’re right but not making FA Vs is not something they’ve done before.

leaks are coming out. looks like no special arts of the starters unfortunately

now we have

68 roserade chr
69 chandelure chr
70 wyrdeer chr
71 kleavor chr
72 mightyena chr
73 hoothoot chr
74 virizion v fa
75 starmie v fa
76 h typhlosion v fa
77 (likely h decidueye v fa)
78 (likely h samurott v fa)
79 (likely garchomp v fa)
80 cyllene fa
81 roxanne fa
82 kamado fa
83 starmie v csr
84 garchomp v csr
85 (likely rainbow h typhlosion)
86 (likely rainbow h decidueye)
87 (likely rainbow h samurott)
88 (likely rainbow cyllene)
89 (likely rainbow roxanne)
90 (likely rainbow kamado)
91 (likely gold typhlosion)
92 (likely gold decidueye)
93 gold samurott vstar
94 (likely gold item card, i’m still guessing the cologne)
95 jubilife village (number isn’t confirmed)

Wait Hoothoot has a CHR? Source? Wtf…

Miltank got a holo as a tease. And they dropped alt arts for what exactly? Gold?

Do you have a source link?

Also:

Me right now…

Though, I reserve the right to decideHoot Hoot CHR is amazing

I’ll post pictures when I get home from work in an hour or two