2023 Worlds & Japan Vacation Thread

Hi folks I am still in the planning stages of attending Japan worlds and looking for roommates if possible. Here are my plans:
• Stay in Tokyo or a mix of other locations between 8/1 - 8/15 and stay at APA hotel or a similar lodging for the weekend of worlds in Yokohama. I am flexible with things to do or sightseeing as a group or solo. Goal is just to have fun.
• Split the hotel room(s) or airbnb for the whole 2 weeks or 1 week (ideally the whole stay) but I am open to suggestions. My goal here is to cut costs of the trip.

That’s really about it so feel free to DM me either on forums here or in discord to hash it out. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

5 Likes

For any Americans who need a passport/passport renewal, applications are taking up to 17 weeks to get back to you. That is July 27th, not much wiggle room. So basically get on that if you need to.

6 Likes

Word of advice for everyone is if your passport is expiring get it renewed or apply o one ASAP. dont wait too long. also do some exchange of money too so you dont get hit with a bad exchange rate over there. the Yen is decent right now so its worth to do some exchange.

got my flight and hotel booked for worlds 8/10-8.23 will be going into tokyo after worlds announcement for next year.

5 Likes

I am thinking about a community hashtag for Instagram (or Twitter).

We might want to add a hashtag to stuff connected to it, so we can look up the hashtag and have a flashback to all the things e4 members did and see, at worlds and in Japan on general.

As an example #e4Japan2023.
Something that has no posts under it, but fits in nicely with the theme.
I would also take recommendations. We could vote on it if people are interested and dont agree on one.

5 Likes

The cownsil has spoken, praise #jEp4n

1 Like

I thought your name was admiral, not the council

4 Likes

A PSA about Japan Heat & Humidity, dehydration and low electrolyte levels

Summer in Japan will be insanely humid and hot, additionally you will probably be more physically active than ever before on vacation (walking). Therefore you will sweat out more than you probably ever did in a day.
Therefore I see dehydration and low electrolyte levels as the two big game breakers for everyones trip.

I would highly recommend anyone to buy electrolyte tablets or sustain good levels with electrolyte drinks. Same with dehydration, please drink enough.
Both are so easy to avoid but if you dont you might end up with a bad time, since water and electrolytes both affect nearly everything in your body.

Areas affected are plenty mental and physical areas: Tiredness, bad mood, dizziness, fatigue and many more as early symptoms. These are the early symptoms which can easily ruin a trip, if you eat and drink just like you would at home you might very well end with these Symptoms.
(Worse symptoms are plenty, such as loosing consciousness, heart and brain problems and plenty more.)

About me: I was never in Japan but read into heat and humidity. I am an Kickboxing athlete who needs to sweat out for competitions and know about the dangers of dehydration and low electrolyte levels. I am in shitty mood, tired and physically & mentally very weak whenever I need to reduce my weight with sweating. My body can loose up to 2Liter/KG of Water during physical activity, in an hour. And I bet walking alone in Japan heat and humidity can drain you up to a liter per hour, or maybe even more (its all individually to everyone). And you do the math about how much drinking you need to do to stay safe per day :wink: spoiler, 2.5 Liters will not be enough.

8 Likes

This is good advice. You definitely don’t want heatstroke. I’ve seen loads of people come down with it and it’s really common in Japan in summer and almost always requires an ambulance. My advice is to drink Pocari Sweat! It’s like an IV drip in the form of an electrolyte drink. It’s also really good if you get traveller’s sickness and cant digest food, but is is also a good drink on its own.

2 Likes

Yes. Pocari sweat is an isotonic drink that contains (just like many other sports drinks) minerals etc your body looses from sweating.
The really bad cases like heat stroke are very serious … but everyone should also look out for the light symptoms, for enjoying the trip.
You might just be in bad mood, tired and fatigued the whole trip and dont know why… While its sth that can be easily avoided, with drinking and getting in the electrolytes etc back into your system after sweating so much out. Reaching the point of ruining your trip due to fatigue and bad mood will come wayyyy before loosing consiousness etc.
Drinking A LOT, eating good portions (for energy and vitamins, electrolytes etc) and supplementing electrolytes with isometric drinks like pocari sweat or electrolyte tablets.

1 Like

How long is way before ? Because I have seen multiple people get heatstroke and pass out in Japan within a couple hours of being outside. Asian summers are no joke. It almost happened to me Taiwan once.

the threshold for suffering big health issues isnt high, its low actually. But the threshold for the first symptoms like fatigue, which can ruin your trip, are insanely low, so low that you probably dont have an idea why you feel these symptoms.
Thats how I meant it :smiley:
I bet people could go through the trip, being fatigued and tired for 10 days straight, and not get that its due to electrolytes or dehydration.

A post was split to a new topic: Spectator Pass Lottery is Live- Pokemon World’s 2023 Yokohama

We’ve got one Worlds hotel spot up for grabs in the Yokohama Square Hotel.

Price for four nights (Thur 10th - Mon 14th) is 43.605 yen (~278€) total, probably close to what you pay per night in similar hotels by now.

Many Efour ppl will be staying in this hotel & it was booked out hours after Worlds dates were announced.

You’ll be rooming with @goigoi in a 2 person non smoking room. If someone’s interested, maybe also in upgrading their room to this one while saving some money, DM me!

Edit: A roommate has been found!

7 Likes

Hello, If anyone is interested I will be staying at the Kahala Hotel resort in Yokohama (August 10th - August 14th). This is around a 10 minute walk(according to google maps) to the Pacifico Yokohama. If interested, you would be rooming with me in the Prestige Corner with a king size bed with a requested additional bed. You would only pay for the additional bed if it costs anything at all. The only downside is that the room is small. Please DM me if interested.

I may update this post with more info if needed

Hello!

I just got a last minute flight to worlds! I’m taking sometime looking through all the threads but any additional help would be great!

are we doing custom E4 badges?
is their any specific plans for E4 meet up or gathering!?
Any specific requirements in order to enter Japan ?

I’m very excited for this opportunity and to meet everyone! =

1 Like
2 Likes

POV: You arrive at Minatomirai station and suddenly get a weird headache…

Question is, will every major station get their own town theme?

3 Likes

Curious to know what people’s itineraries are for Japan/Worlds. Here is mine…

Osaka: 8/2 - 8/6
Kyoto: 8/6 - 8/9
Yokohama: 8/9 - 8/14
Tokyo: 8/14 - 8/20

2 Likes

I will be in Tokyo the whole trip, as I didn’t plan for enough time to thoroughly enjoy places like Osaka and Kyoto.

I will be landing in Tokyo, in the evening of Thursday August 10th.
Staying in Yokohama until Monday August 14th
Staying in Tokyo until Friday August 18th

I am happy to have very few plans for the 14th-18th so hopefully I can really have my own adventure :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Quick Questions! has there been any times set up for a efour meet up or hall possible reserved for us? I know at world in DC 2019 we did that. Additonal once we’re at the event, will people use the discord to talk and meet up? I’d love to meet some new collectors and catch up!