2023 Worlds & Japan Vacation Thread

Bar Psy is such a great little gem! I came across it roaming Shinjuku.

I think the Keihin-Töhoku line will also get you close to the convention center from the Akihabara and/or Tokyo JR stations, which makes pretty much any major spot on the main (Yamanote) loop very workable. I’d definitely recommend looking at AirBnbs close to major stops along that.

4 Likes

hey so the buttons im working on - its 1 batch for both NC regionals and worlds japan. So anyone on this thread if you want a button/badge and are coming to worlds pm me if I dont have your name already.

:heart:
I could literally just be in Japan strolling around and have one of my best birthdays. But with an actual night out with yall… we will have a blast :muscle::smile:
Feel free to text Admiral about it to join in. We will have a great e4 night

2 Likes

It’s looking pretty likely I’m actually gonna be going, if I have confirmation I’ll let you know and definitely tag along sounds fun!

I can’t drink alcohol but would love to meet y’all and hang out.

2 Likes

I’m quite new here, but super keen to meet everyone in person :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Long time E4 lurker here. I hope to meet everyone I can at worlds!! Worlds at Japan might be a once In a lifetime experience.

12 Likes

I booked my hotel a few weeks ago and have no idea if i got a good deal or not but seems resonable. Ive never been to Japan so I am quite nervous :sweat_smile: ill be there for a week! Looking and watching flights for now. Is there a recomended price on a flight roundtrip non stop I should watch for? One adult.

I’m coming from asia so I might not be able to help you on which flights.

I can however recommend you to get a flight to haneda instead of narita. The reason is, if you fly to narita it is far outside the city (1 hour by train give or take) flying to haneda could save you on travel time and train fare. as the express from narita to the city is between 3000-6000 yen (if I have not mistaken)

also haneda is between tokyo and yokohama (ish) so if you are going straight to yokohama its way closer.

a downside is some flights are more expensive going to haneda vs narita

1 Like

Just check google flights (and check different cities near you). Google flights is pretty good and easy with finding the best deals

1 Like

You know we have no idea where you live right?

2 Likes

I’ll be staying in a hostel near the convention center since it was one of the cheapest options. Has anyone had any experience staying at a hostel/is there anything I should know before staying in one? This hostel offers to hold your stuff which I heard is good.

Near the convention center? What’s the area name?

It’s about 3km away, it’s in Ogicho(?) Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for haha

Mmm just be wary because you will be pretty close to the rough part of town called Kotobukicho which is famous for cheap hostels and hotels but is basically a welfare area for homeless people and day labourers. It’s not seedy for bars and stuff like Kabukicho in Tokyo but it’s basically poverty central and considered a slum. Most people who live in Yokohama would probably be pretty worried about staying or even going near there. :joy::joy:

1 Like

Damn that’s kinda terrifying, might have to start looking at other options. I’m sure we’d look pretty out of place running around the slums with our pikachu plushies lmao

If you are just booking the cheapest possible hostel option you have to expect some level of slum

5 Likes

Yeah the area is a bit deceiving because it’s very close to Chinatown which is a major tourist destination, Motomachi shopping street which has high-end shops, and Yamate, the most expensive residential area in Yokohama. While I wouldn’t say its extremely dangerous, it is very very poor by modern Japan standards, there are lots of down and out people, and yakuza also operate their businesses around there. So it’s not a very welcoming place for outsiders depending on your tolerance for that kind of thing.

If you are willing to be 3km away from the convention center then you can perhaps look towards Yokohama Station area because that is also easily walking distance to Pacifico.

If you have any questions feel free to DM.

1 Like

From my experience, it’s absolutely fine. Unless you’re obnoxiosuly rowdy or something you’re not going to get in to any trouble whatsover.

I don’t know why anyone would pay to come all the way to Yokohama to stay literally one street across from the 3rd largest slum in Japan (Kotobukicho). Yeah, it isn’t like obscenely dangerous, but I used to do some work around there and knew families who live there still and it is basically the end of the line for a lot people around there. The location isn’t exciting, it isn’t clean and it isn’t even particularly convenient even if it is cheap. Not my money though, but I would just pay some extra and stay somewhere nicer.

2 Likes

Flight tickets have been purchased! Aug 2-Aug 20 :raised_hands:t4:

6 Likes