Would you do this trade?

Hey guys hope everyone’s holidays are going well. I’m about to do the biggest trade I’ve done yet and was curious of the various opinions and thoughts on it. I feel comfortable with it and feel it’s a good move… but would like to hear any agreements or disagreements and any arguments attached.
So, I’m trading a 1st edition base PSA 9 Blastoise and $7,000 for a BGS 8 No rarity Charizard.

2 Likes

You’ve answered your own question, if you feel comfortable with it and you’d rather have the BGS 8 Zord than the Stoise and 7k, go for it!

4 Likes

My opinion here is use your best judgement and go based on you want. Know your values of each, know your reason for the trade, know what youd like down the road… Etc etc and from there youll find your answer.

That being said id just sell both cards because im not a fan of either, but again thats why my opinion doesnt matter here :blush:

2 Likes

Disclaimer: I’m not in a level to purchase either of those items yet

But I think its a decent trade. Pro: niche unique item that has risen in value recently, Con: I think Blastoise 1st edition (because of the stamp) makes a much larger difference for cross collectors and therefore long term price increases. If you just want to collect the Charizard and don’t care as much about growth, roll with it then.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses guys. I’m on the edge about the trade… I like the pop on the charizard a lot more… but just confused on where Blastoise is going in the future.

1 Like

I don’t dabble in high end cards like this, but by personal preference I’d rather have the No Rarity Zard. Also depends on the condition of course. The BGS 8 should be comparable to a PSA 8.

1 Like

@muk, it looks nice. Seller said multiple times as well that it looked better than his psa 8 one he sold. So I feel good about the grade…

2 Likes

Hello @baccene,

In terms of BGS 8’s, I would look very close to the actual condition of the card & are there subgrades on the card?

Regardless of my opinion on Charizard, there is no denying the security it offers. The no rarity Charizard is historical, as the first printed TCG of Charizard. There isn’t the same storyline associated with 1st edition Blastoise.

Personally, I believe Blastoise is overlooked/undervalued in general but that can be said for many cards imo.

I’d make the trade but I’d attempt to reduce cash with other cards if you have the full evolution + whatever else. If given the option to have $7,000 + 1ED Blastoise or No-Rarity Charizard … I’d go with Charizard.

vr

odds

2 Likes

I appreciate your post @odds, Here is the exact card → www.ebay.com/itm/Charizard-No-Rarity-Holo-BGS-8-1996-Base-Set-Japanese-First-Edition-Number-006-/184473837014?hash=item2af37f5dd6%3Ag%3AbNUAAOSwnl1feRBJ&nma=true&si=Bk2KIG5C8S%252B56UuhcBGEnqrBPss%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

the buyer didn’t pay for it so disregard the price on that one. But that’s the one.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t take into consideration of current market value/look up last sales of either card when making my assessment, I know roughly where they stand in terms of PSA 10.

In regards to the subgrades I’d much prefer 8 surface the 7.5 hurts the eye appeal. If you plan on crossing for PSA 8 it’s kind of null but if it didn’t cross I’d personally get it re-slabbed as a BGS 8 no subs.

I really think the PSA POP report says it all with the amount of Charizard’s and the proven demand, 191 to 1618 with only 32 higher than an 8 Blastoise has 98 higher than a 9

Just food for thought but I will add this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4VaYHGhnbg

vr

odds

1 Like

Aww, I thought that sold. That’s unfortunate the buyer didn’t pay. It seems like there’s a lot of that going on recently. However, this is in your favor and the trade sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes

1 Like

Imo no, no rarity is just hyped, well base set also is… Do whatever you feel happy wth

4 Likes

I second this

5 Likes

I would not if I were you. If I was him I’d do it in a heartbeat. Reason I say that is because most times trades just don’t make all that much sense for either party. IMO, you lose this trade (by quite a bit). But that’s just me.

I think no rarity in the lower grades just won’t grow like a 1st edition base starter. I also think there are far less ungraded copies of 1st edition base Blastoise compared to the no rarity Charizard. They’re both amazing cards, and at the end of the day it’s your deal. Best of luck!

1 Like

Just be aware BGS ≠ PSA, with a 7.5 surface it is more likely a PSA 6 than an 8. Would you be comfortable with the trade if it were PSA 6? However in saying that the market still has confidence in BGS grades so from a value point of view it seems like a good trade.

5 Likes

I would not do this trade, your card plus $7000 cash is putting too high a valuation on a BGS 8 NR Zard with those subgrades.

3 Likes

I feel pretty good about the trade then come here and check in and feel confused all over again… I think I’m going to request a video of the holo… because yeah, the 7.5 bothers me.

3 Likes

no

1 Like

I’m assuming the surface grade includes the front & back surfaces. The holo could be pristine but the back could be super dirty/scuffed up. I have a lot of Japanese cards in this type of condition and I have no idea why the holos are flawless but the back surfaces suck but the edges/corners are perfect. Definitely request a video of the holo before making that trade

1 Like

A BGS 7.5 is normally pretty rough. May be the reason they didn’t get it PSA graded.
Don’t love the long term prospects for no rarities anyway so I’d pass unless they’d go down to trade plus 2-3k in cash

5 Likes