Why are trainers more expensive than Pokemon?

All these expensive SAR JP Trainers hit huge amounts, cough alolan friends $10k PSA 10 cough. So yea… This is a POKEMON card game, not a TRAINER card game… I understand trophies, but why are these trainers so expensive and why collect trainers when there is Weiss and Degen anime ccg everywhere

Waifu

to each their own I guess

3 Likes

You made a decision to call them trainers and not the other, more common word for this type of card. I think its because the answer is right there, clear as day, and we are afraid of the truth

2 Likes

Maybe the generic “trainers” is to also include cards like Alola Friends.

Wait, is that a waifu card too? …I’m doubting myself now.

1 Like

surely we won’t take the bait…right?

9 Likes

Alola friends has much less ominous vibes imo

1 Like

Alola Friends i don’t rly consider waifu lol… its ridiculous price for sure though… I think its so insane what is going on in Trainer market. like wtf is this

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

1 Like

Weiss Schwarz should take the popular hit TV anime “Pokémon” and print waifu characters such as Sabrina, Misty, Erika, Delia Ketchum, and Muk.

2 Likes

Real

Besides the whole waifu fad, its sort of the human type character with amazing art. Plus they are full art, taking up a larger surface area, and look super clean and vibrant. There are hundreds of pokemon but only a few trainers. My personal reason is because the art and i see more of the character then other full art pokemon cards

Ill take triple bait any day if it means talking shit on waifu collectors

1 Like

What does bait mean?

1 Like

I like your way of thinking

1 Like

Are there any copyright issues?

If not, they should just straight up make all the NSFW art online into cards and hopefully the thirsty waifu collectors leave lol.

I want to collect all the trainers, but won’t spend beyond a certain amount for them because it’s the Pokemon TCG.

Oh definitely there would be an issue with copyright and licensing. Bushiroad already has leverages on show titles they’ve licensed, but they wouldn’t be able to sway something as big as TPCj.

All the NSFW art is fan made so that’s another set of legality issues if those were to be printed, especially from an official company such as Bushiroad. In lieu of this, to kind of touch on OP’s original question, the push for waifu trainers stems in correlation from those NSFW/doujinshi works of Pokémon trainers. Hence why I think we see more female artworks selling at higher points than male artworks. (Exception being Guzma; poor misunderstood dude.) Take a look at someone as generic of a NPC like Hex Maniac.

Why is Hex Maniac popular? OOTL

Didn’t you already make this thread?

Just that one dialogue, I would say awoken something in some people and it became a trend? Before, the Hex Maniac was just a generic Ghost/Psychic/Dark-type NPC that nobody really cared until people just blew that one dialogue out of proportion and it just meme’d into what it is on Google Images today.