Who is your favorite pokemon and why?

would be cool to see your favorite artwork of it too :wink:

2 Likes

Latias/Latios. Favorite card art of them is either the original Alto Mare’s ones or the gift box exs:

If we’re including art not featured on cards, then my favorite is probably the English EX Dragon box art.

12 Likes

Gyarados, why? I love sea creatures, specially extinct reptiles, it has an amazing story behind it’s design, it’s a water type capable of breathing fire, lightning, ice and fking hyper beams, it’s op as fuck and it’s not family friendly as 99,999% of the rest of the pokecraps. So tired of all those happy cute shits. Face a Gyarados and prepare to be fucked up. Anger and rage combined with pure power.

Edit: Fav art it has many but as a vintage sucker I will have to go for the rookie Base set

6 Likes

Seviper. I always liked snakes, and although Ekans, Arbok, and Onix were great snake Pokémon as well, Seviper’s design was on a whole other level. It’s been my favorite Pokémon since, and always will be.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Bidoof - It started off as a joke with my friends in our Pokemon Club back in college but then I actually started to genuinely like it. I think that may have also been around the time when memes about Bidoof being the strongest Pokemon started circulating around the internet. There’s just something about it’s dumb face that brings me genuine joy.

Alakazam is a close second though.

Such serenity, such bliss. Wow

11 Likes

Someone on the Discord was trash talking Bidoof this morning.

3 Likes

Slowbro. He’s a visionary, a genius, a seer. And most people don’t know it, and therein lies the allure. He has everyone underestimating his intelligence. He’s achieved Nirvana, transcended, so is always in his staring meditation and trance. It’s also amazing that he is water and psychic, the best typing combo.

I really have 3 favorite equally (including vending due to art style), but over time these 2 amaze me the most. His rookie, a perfect Himeno work that shows this reasoning of why I love him, and arguably one of Komiya’s best works ever, that just seems to show the divinity and inner peace of the Bro.

16 Likes

One of the most popular topics on the forum. Here’s a selection of similar threads from the past year and a half. Enjoy :blush:

www.elitefourum.com/t/5-favorite-pokemon-cards/30407/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/why-is-your-favorite-pokemon-your-favorite/30371/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/what-is-your-absolute-favorite-pokemon-card-of-all-time/28425/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/whats-your-favorite-pokemon-of-each-type/28525/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/what-are-your-least-favorite-pokemon/27587/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/who-is-your-favorite-pokemon/27447/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/what-is-your-favorite-pokemon-for-each-generation/26818/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/favorite-pokemon-card-arts-popular-and-unpopular/32560/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/what-are-your-three-favorite-arts-of-all-time/32102/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/favorite-6-of-each-gen/31303/1

3 Likes

i like your approach!
My favorite is mew, also because it not being “family friendly”. I like the elusively mysterious nature of it and it’s adaptivity

1 Like

i enjoyed your passionate description lol :grin:

@effectspore, of course someone with the username Godcomplex is going to be upset when they see what an actual god looks like :wink:

2 Likes

you just made me admire slowbro in a way i never have before!

2 Likes

It’s very difficult to pick one favorite Pokémon. There are over a thousand to choose from. Saying any one creature out of so many is my definitive favorite just doesn’t feel possible. I have a sort of soft list that serves as my Top 10 though, in no particular order.

1. Starmie - A classic Pokémon that has always been good, even with the nerfs Psychic has seen over the years. A highly usable Pokémon with a lot of powerful moves and powerful stats to back it up. It’s design is versatile in the sense that it works as much as a shape or a symbol as it does a Pokémon.

1. Meowth - Our first feline. I was not a big fan of the anime and don’t really connect with anime Meowth specifically, but I like the basic idea of conniving cats being more clever than we give them credit for. I love the idea of a greedy little cat creature like that.

1. Krookodile - A Gen V Pokémon that looks like a Game Boy Pokémon. Its understated design and threatening posture, mixed with its cool typing and fun abilities, has just always made Krookodile fun to use and I like the personality it has as a sort of delinquent crocodile monster.

1. Frosmoth - A beautiful Pokémon that I think captures the delicacy of real world moths in a way other bug type Pokémon never have. It also evolves from Snom, one of our cutest bugs. I think this one speaks for itself a bit.

1. Trevenant - I really like ghost Pokémon in general, but this is one of my favorites. The personification of a “haunted forest”, Trevenant feels like a fantasy enemy that wouldn’t be out of place in any other fantasy world. It has a lot of draining attacks that make it fun to use in game since it can heal itself offensively.

1. Electabuzz - My original white whale from when I was a kid. They only lived in one place in game and were hard to find. Electabuzz has had some movepool issues in the wake of the physical/special split, but I think it’s one of the all-time Pokémon designs. I also like Electivire a lot, which capitalizes a lot more on the family’s moveset full of physical attacks, but unfortunately wasn’t given the stats to back it up.

1. Steelix - In my head Steelix will always be the “sequel Pokémon” and is, to me, the face of what was possible for the future of the series. Taking a Pokémon everyone knew and giving it a new evolution and a sick new type you’d never seen before perfectly represents what was always exciting to me about new generations of Pokémon. Game Freak moved away from cross-generation evolutions after Gen 4 but they’re sort of back in the form of regional variants with their own evolutions. I am sure nothing will capture the feeling I had when I first saw Steelix, though.

1. Alolan Vulpix - Like regular Vulpix but cuter. Speaks for itself.

1. Exploud - This is a Pokémon that grew on me over time. I like that this is a bonafide monster with no specific animalian origin. It has a huge movepool and is fun to use in-game because of how many options you have. Its state aren’t amazing, but it can hit ghosts with its powerful Boomburst. I like that it hits like a truck.

1. The Nidoran family - These are perfect Pokémon. Sexually dimorphic, unique typing, one of the most varied movesets of any Pokémon family ever, good stats and lots of versatility. They’re big, scary, monstrous kaiju. I couldn’t ask for more.
6 Likes

Dusclops is my favorite. He’s the only one I’m able to confidently put at number 1. Loved the design since the first time I saw it. I’ve raised at least 4-5 of them to level 100 when playing through the games. I used him in the Colosseum and XD gale of Darkness post game. Used him with eviolite on trick room teams in BW OU, BW UU and XY OU showdown and online.

So unique. Terrible HP and offences, but with Shuckle levels of defense after Eviolite. The first (and close to only) truly defensive ghost type. I don’t hate Dusknoir (well, almost) but he has nothing on Dusclops.

Here are my favorite cards of him in descending order:

10 Likes

Back in the early 2000s I used to participate in the official Nintendo “Nsider” forums with the exact username I use today. It was giant with sub forums for each IP. I was originally browsed the Animal Crossing boards, a bit of the Smash bros, the off-topic “Power On” etc. Eventually I stuck almost exclusively with the Pokemon board and was relatively active there. Back then my #1 Pokemon was Wingull, and Flying type was (and still is) my favourite.

In 2007, Nsider was “indefinitely” shut down and many spin-off communities were made. I went with a group of Pokemon people to a small community; haven’t talked to any of them in a while but we were close for years. We would often communicate through MSN messenger but there was a period of time where it was on it’s way out to be replaced with [trash] Skype and so we experimented with alternative chat systems. One was Xat (you can see it here, it’s basically identical to what it used to be) and it was basically a proto-Discord. (I swear this is going somewhere). When you join a Xat room it automatically assigns you a silly username. I believe mine was something like “SnuggyBunny” and I stuck with it for a bit. The bunny thing became what I guess you could call a meme and I just embraced it. Eventually, rabbits just became my favourite animal because of the association and I even got a pet bunny because of it.
Because it was around 2007-2008ish, Buneary/Lopunny were “the rabbit” Pokemon and since this community I participated in was primarily Pokemon-based it just ended up being my favourite. I’ve just carried that and the rabbit thing to today. I think in online communities like this, it helps to have some identity or easy association for people to make. But maybe I could have chose a better “identity” since people just assume it’s a creepy furry thing but I’m pretty used to it at this point and it doesn’t bother me.

P.S. Here’s a card

13 Likes

Interesting background and surprising choice of
Pokemon!
And I remember those MSN days, best social platform ever;)

1 Like

Golduck because my lucky number is 55. When i was a kid i looked up number 55 in pokemon and there he was. Love at first sight.

8 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster, huh, that’s actually really interesting and good to know. I’ve always assumed you’re just a creepy furry :blush:

5 Likes

@muk, damn I was too late

Rhydon, because its design is badass.

I’ve told this story here before, and I’ll tell it again: during my first ever playthrough of Pokemon Red when I was eight years old, I liked Rhydon so much that I used my Master Ball on one in the Unknown Dungeon. In hindsight, I probably should have just used an Ultra Ball and taken the next ladder down to use my Master Ball on Mewtwo, but that just goes to show how obsessed I was with Rhydon at the time.

Also, fun fact: Rhydon is the first Pokemon that was ever designed.

As for Rhyperior? That unnecessary abomination does not even exist in my world.

How Jungle Rhydon wasn’t a holo (or at least a rare) boggles my mind. Rhydon was an incredibly powerful Pokemon back in that day. Making its rookie card a mere uncommon was such a disservice to the big guy.

12 Likes