Which cards are a nod to the Pokemon anime?

My friend and I were talking Pokemon cards and he told me of a butterfree card from burning shadows that’s sort of a nod to the butterfree episode from the anime. Are there any others you know of?

Additionally, which cards reference other TV shows, bands, etc?

3 Likes

Great question! Looking forward to the answers.

I guess the various Unown cards from the Neo era reflect their appearance in the Entei movie.

1 Like

I actually do not know what a “nod” means, but if I am correct then these come to mind.

I Choose You! Movie Promos:

Pokémon Sun & Moon Ash’s Pikachu:

Ash’s Pikachu Lv. X

Edit: Fell asleep last night doing this post. I will add that aside from cards being a “nod” to the show there is also cards with artwork relevant to the Pokémon storyline itself.

For example:

The Red & Green Gift set is practically a walkthrough the first game.

From choosing your starter in Professor Oak’s lab to catching Mewtwo.

I’m sure there’s a lot more that I’m missing but these are the ones that come to mind.

3 Likes

Not a nod to the anime but the same concept. This squirte from fire red leaf green is a nod to Nirvana’s album cover. Pretty great artwork!

Burning shadows charmander

8 Likes

It may came out first in the game, but vaguely I feel like the anime influenced the surfing pikachu more…

1 Like

I made an article about the whole Skyridge set and the artworks in that set referring to Pokémon 2000 TheMovie -guess that’s the kinda thing you are searching for :wink:

Hope you enjoy it!

2 Likes

3 Likes