Which card to say goodbye to?

The time has come to part with one my grails to fund other ventures. I’m finding it impossible to pull the trigger and wanted to see if others might might offer some advice.

I’ve narrowed down to either:

OR

Which one would you part with in terms of future value/investing? I’m leaning toward Matchprint as it’s nicher but also with only 2 copies I’m having a hard time with it. Chansey is not much better. I love these cards. They are equally cool and unique in their own right.

Do you have any stories of when you had to let go of something you knew you’d never get back?

2 Likes

Do you have to part with one of them? These both seem like cards that would be incredibly hard to reacquire in the future.

6 Likes

My advice is to not sell cards that would be difficult to purchase again in the future. Both of these are exceedingly rare cards. I would recommend that you sell other cards before these two.

10 Likes

I think the PSA 10 and official designation make the Chansey more desirable long term. But yeah agree with @Dyl here…don’t sell unless you absolutely have to!! Either way, good luck with your future ventures!!

2 Likes

Easy choice, sell the charmeleon - harder to pair up with other cards to give a “full set” or “theme” feeling and overall slightly less eye appealing.

3 Likes

Between the two, keep the Chansey. Something about the “custom” PSA slab gives me negative vibes

6 Likes

I would keep the Chansey, but it´s because I personally really like that card

1 Like

I’ve had to do this several times. My advice would be to not overthink it. Identify the keeper, sell the other, don’t dwell on it because it is going to suck no matter how you look at it.

Personally I’d keep the matchprint.

2 Likes

I’d rather keep the matchprint. I would try to not sell either ofc, but life happens

1 Like

List them both. See what offers you get. Compare how much you payed to how much you get back. Its not all about money but it’s good to have that knowledge aswell when considering your options.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! This is all great advice and very helpful. I’ll let you know what I do. I think I’m going to keep and wait on anything else until I save up enough money. We’re playing the long game after all and patience is key in Pokémon.

3 Likes

matchprints are very hard to come by, even though they are mostly pop 2, I don’t know if the other copy still exists anymore.

1 Like

Do we know who has the other one?

I don’t know where’s the other copy. :frowning:

My advice here is not selling them. It’s extremely hard that you’ll find another copy of them. Probably you’ll never find them again.

• New York Conference 2002 Chansey (Sample): About the Chansey, it was part of New York Conference 2002 along other 9 cards and it’s said that original POP of those was 50 and the fact you have it as PSA10 makes it rarer. A really good card that is an important part of TCG history.

Btw, if you are wondering about what’s the e-Viewer content in its short Dot Code, here you have:

• Expedition Base Set Charmeleon - Non Holo (Matchprint): This is also a rare card. Ignoring the “Custom case”, there’re not many Expedition Charmeleon that are Matchprints. It’s extremely hard to find them. I have seen once a Wartortle (Matchprint) from the same expansion. These type of cards are amazing.

To sum up, you should keep them … if you want money, try selling other cards. Believe me or not, selling extremely rare items that you only have 1 unit is something that you’ll regret in a certain point. More if you realize that probably you’ll never find another copy.

2 Likes