When's the last time you opened a wotc pack?

It was a couple years ago, and I opened some Fossil packs (unlimited, not 1st edition) to see if I could pull my beloved Dragonite again to bring back all the nostalgia. I bought like around 6-10 packs or so and I believe my 2nd to last pack was actually a holo Dragonite, so I was very ecstatic and felt that was a success. However, I haven’t had the inclination to buy wotc packs since with their rising price and the likelihood of not pulling something worthwhile.

That was a good nod to my childhood though as I now have a PSA 10 1st edition Dragonite from childhood (granted a weak 10, but 10 nonetheless) and this strong PSA 9 Dragonite that I know are 100% pulled by me, which makes them mean more to me.

It was spring of 2019 and I found two opened shadowless booster boxes, one long crimp and one short crimp. I purchased all the heavy packs from both for very under market value at the time. My goal was to open a Charizard. I recorded myself and opened all the long crimp packs and sure enough pulled the Charizard! It ended up grading a 9 and I ended up with a lot of other great holos.

I then tried to sell the short crimp packs here on e4 bc I had already achieved my goal of pulling a Charizard. A few ignorant people jumped and made assumptions that I was selling packs even though I had already opened the Charizard. They didn’t read that I had packs from two different boxes. If they had read the original post as well as watched the videos, they would have seen that I had shadowless packs from two different boxes, one long crimp and one short crimp which is very distinct in the difference.

Truth be told, I ended up getting pissed off at e4 members calling me dishonest even though it was very evident I was being very clear and decided to open up all the short crimp packs. I pulled a Charizard out of the first short crimp pack I was trying to sell. LOL. So thank you e4 members for calling me dishonest bc I ended up opening the rest of the short crimp packs and pulled the starters as well as multiple Mewtwos. Lesson to learn: Please know the background of the situation before calling someone dishonest.

Heavy shadowless packs are going for $1200 or more in today’s market but the experience was worth it. I’ll never forget opening two shadowless Charizards and I lucked out with both grading PSA 9s. It made me a little kid again to open those. Now my new goal is to pull off opening a 1st Edition Base Charizard.

Never opened one. I wish I did though. :blush:

1 Like
  1. I opened 42 fossil unlimited packs I picked up for $200. Pulled a solid 15/16 holos minty fresh. Traded them for some first Ed base cards.
2 Likes

I opened 5 or 6 base set 2 packs in 2017

1 Like

I opened one pack of skyridge , in 2003, as a kid when I was 5 years old. That was the last time, and will probably always be the last.

1 Like

About 1 month ago I opened a 1st edition jungle pack and pulled a Flareon holo, and about two months before that opened another and pulled the Jolteon holo. Literally my favourite two holos from the set. Those packs I brought back in 2015 I think for around 10-15 dollars each and had just been sat in my collection for five years. No regrets!

2 Likes

About 2 weeks ago I bought three unlimited Jungle boosters, one 1st edition fossil, and one unlimited Base set. All unweighted.

I opened the 3 heaviest and I’m glad I did.

Pulled a holo Nidoking, a holo Vileplume, and a 1st edition holo Gengar. They should all grade PSA 9s.

About 3 months ago I opened an unlimited Team Rocket booster box. Cards were pristine, no doubles, + I pulled Charizard and Dragonite. I was over the moon. The enjoyment of the experience totally outweighed any financial gain from keeping the box sealed.

4 Likes

Probably around 18months a go. In the summer of 2018 I was buying up Rocket and Jungle packs for 20 pounds each in the UK. And I pulled a few Holos! Certainly not the case now. I should’ve bought more. But alas I was new to the collecting game.

1 Like

2016, one unlimited base and pulled a devolution spray and two neo discovery packs with rares I dont recall.

Opened three jungle unlimited packs a year ago for my birthday, pulled three nonholos (probably weighed). Got Snorlax, vaporeon and kangaskan though.

In 2016-2017 I bought a Neo Genesis 1st and Gym Heroes 1st (from Troll and Toad of all places – seems that they don’t weigh their packs) for about $50 total and got Skarmory which graded 10 and made me about $175. Gym Heroes rare was something so incredibly stupid I thought the pack just didn’t have a rare: Misty’s Goldeen. I would rather have a rare trainer.

Overall not bad. I netted some cash that went back into collecting things I wanted and opening packs is always fun.

Late 2007. I went to a shop closing down for Mysterious Treasures packs hoping to pull some Time-Space Distortion. They ended up having some base set unlimited and 1st Edition German base set packs at $2 a piece and bought what they had.

Incredibly, they had 18 packs of Mysterious Treasures and I pulled 2 Time-Space Distortion. They were meant to be secret rares, so I was super happy.

1 Like

Just a couple days ago!

About 2 years ago I bought multiple heavy packs of Base, Jungle, and Fossil with the intention I am going to open them. I held off, but finally broke down and opened 1 base set pack and pulled the zard. Submitted it through Rusty and it got a 10. I figured that luck was never going to happen again so I put them all away with no plans to revisit opening. Fast forward about 7 months and I have opened 3-4 more. My wife and I are having a kid in August, and as we go to our appointments and get positive news of a healthy baby, I open a pack with her! The last one on Friday was a Fossil pack, and I pulled a Moltres! I have one more heavy base set pack that I plan to open once our child is born. Once they are gone, I’ll be sad, but I’ll have the memories!

2 Likes

Not sense I was a kid. 1999 or something like that. I use to get a few packs a week. 1st edition base and unlimited. Jungle first ed and unlimited. And fossil first ed and unlimited. Lost my binder over the years but my current collection has pretty much everything I use to plus a ton. Also I’d love to open old packs now. I’d love quite a few old booster boxes to open but these prices are not going to go down anytime soon and even buying 1 or 2 packs costs the same as buying the whole set in ungraded light played to near mint

1 Like

Last year. Jungle Unlimited. Pulled a non holo Vileplume to complete my Jungle set as a kid. Really lucky.

Prior to that it was probably the year 2000 or 2001 opening a Fossil pack.

I was about to say roughly 19 or 20 years ago as a kid, but I actually opened three Portuguese 1st edition Jungle pack in July 2017 in the hope to pull the final Pikachu to complete both all Jungle variations and all Portuguese Pikachu cards in my collection (which I did, in two of the three packs - in addition to a Holofoil Jolteon, my favorite card of the Jungle set :grin: ).

Greetz,
Quuador

LGS was selling 1st ed Team Rocket packs in 2018 for $25 each, I bought an art set and an extra to open. Pulled a non holo Dark Slowbro but it was a nice trip down memory lane.

About 4 years ago now. Got home from the pub after a few too many glass sandwiches, and I could swear my Tyranitar artwork Neo Destiny pack was feeling exceptionally heavy.

It was not.

4 Likes

Never have. Somehow I remember vividly as a kid, having had WOTC cards in my collection. Probably from friends/relatives.