What are your favorite/most memorable pulls?

Hi guys, I thought it would be a fun topic to talk about our personal favorite pulls. From booster boxes, packs etc. I’d love to hear all of the stories. Mine was when I was opening Ex team magma vs team Aqua packs and I pulled out a minty fresh Suicune ex. It remains to this day my favorite card in my collection.

7 Likes

My first booster pack was a Jungle unlimited, and I pulled an error holo Jolteon from it. Pretty special :heart_eyes:

Otherwise, pulling a holo flareon from another Jungle pack was pretty awesome too.

5 Likes

My favorite moment has to be the time when I pulled a holo Zapdos from a Base Set pack when I was about 7.

Another memorable moment was when I pulled a Secret Rare Silver Dialga twice from only 7 booster packs :grin:

5 Likes

Dark Tyranitar from my only Neo Rev destiny (lmao) booster

5 Likes

Nice topic @umbreon!

One of my more memorable pulls was ironically when I was not collecting. I bought 2 neo destiny packs on a whim in 2002-2003 and pulled a Shining Noctowl. I was such a noob I didn’t realize that “shining” cards were rarer than holo’s.

4 Likes

When I first started Collecting I bought a Skyridge booster box for like 500 bucks… I cracked open a pack and boom! There it was, a reverse holo crystal charizard and a crystal Crobat in one pack!!! WTF that was awesome :grin:

6 Likes

A couple come to mind.

The first, when I was around 6 (the year 2000) and I bought a base set unlimited pack. I opened it in the car park while waiting for my mum to put the shopping in the car, and pulled a Charizard. I remember clearly being so excited, but I also remember that I had this really stupid habit of ‘scratching’ the holo (almost like I was testing if it was really there lol). I still have the card, but it’s in pretty bad shape.

The other being a Charizard gold star that I pulled from a one of three dragon frontiers packs I had. I was so shocked! I remember I just cursed but in my normal voice.

Good times.

3 Likes

That’s an amazing pull. Cards before their release is godly. Haha. Giving you a hard time bud. At least destiny landed you a great card. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow these are so fun to read everyone. Please keep them coming.

Shining Charizard from one Neo Destiny pack, sadly I was a kid and thought it was fake due the 3 star rarity and didn’t take good care of it :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

I remember buying my first booster box after getting back into things. It was Next Destinies and I pulled a Full Art Mewtwo EX, which paid for most of the box.

For Dark Explorers, I went to a Prerelease and pulled a Darkrai EX. Won the Prerelease and pulled a second one in my prize packs. Also got an Entei EX Full Art (mad pullz) in the prize packs and traded it to the store for a couple more boosters. Pulled a Full Art Darkrai EX. I then split a case with two friends. I got one box, a friend got two boxes, and a third got three boxes. My box had a Darkrai EX Full Art. I was on top of the world.

I sold the Darkrai collectively for a few hundred dollars and that was when I stopped opening product. I know how statistics work. Haha. I haven’t opened a booster box for myself since. Only open a booster pack or two a year.

1 Like

I have two!

1. I was about 11 or 12 and was pulling a 1st ed Neo Genesis Lugia. I was so excited I called my mom to her job and made her assistant bring her to the phone because “it was an emergency” lol.
  2. I was at Toys R Us (I grew up in Puerto Rico) and Pokemon was becoming less and less popular. While at the register, they had the small 4 pocket binders on clearance and some Neo Destiny boosters. With $10 dollars in my pocket I grabbed an album and a booster pack. Only one because this was “the new stuff” no one liked. When I got home and I opened it I got Shinning Tyranitar. In the age of dial-up internet it never occurred to me to search about it. All I knew was that it was weird, it had three stars of rarity and the number of the card was 113/105 which also didn’t make sense. It took me years to realize about the other ones and how rare they were. I also thinkthese two memories contributed to my appeal of the Neo era.
6 Likes
  1. I was 6 years old and my Mum and I were at the shops and She bought 2 Base Set booster packs, 1 for myself and one for my 8 year old Brother. I opened my pack straight away and got a Beedrill, so I asked my mum could I open the other pack and give the opened one to my Brother and say that’s how it came, She said yes lmao, so I opened my Brothers pack and got a Zapdos!!
    The next day my Mum, my 8 year old Brother and myself were at the same shops together and we got 1 more pack each, He pulled another Beedrill and I pulled another Zapdos, what are the chances, so I say you can have this Zapdos to him, He thought I was the nicest guy, until a few years later I revealed the stunt I pulled lol

2. It was around 2002 when Neo Revelations booster packs were for sale in the shops, my Mum got me one pack, and in my head I said please god let me get a Ho-oh, so I opened the pack and pulled a non holo Ho-oh, I was convinced god helped me for a while

3. I went to the local markets on a Sunday in 2005 to find the local card guy was selling Base Set booster packs for $8 each, I buy 3 packs and pull a Blastoise and a Charizard

4. Back in 2012 when I started collecting again, I bought a 1st edition Neo Destiny booster box from the Philippines, surprisingly it was legit and I opened it to receive 3 shinings in the form of Noctowl, Tyranitar and Steelix

4 Likes

I kne I’ve mentioned this before but…in 2002 I had a collector comic and card shop near Columbus, Ohio. I opened a 1st Base Box and pulled 3 Charizards. Doesn’t get any better than that eh? Oh yes it does. All three graded a 10 lol. Back then they were worth about 600.00 each in PSA 10 but still, it is an amazing memory.

5 Likes

Haha never even thought that had happened. A box of history right there. :blush:

1 Like

my favouriteerest pullington had to be…

WHen me and the sestra went and got a booster pack each like usual, and I pulled a nidoking, and she pulled nothing… WHat was strange though… she wouldnt say what that rare was (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Hourerbz later on a bitter, and blood mist night… SHE REVEALED SHE PULLED THE **** CHARIZARD … IT WAS THEN, THAT I KNEW I WAS GOING TO KILL HER AND TAKE IT.

However, that didnt happen… Instead in a blind fit of rage, i ripped up the energy cards from my nidoking pack and threw them over the back yard vicinity, which i was upset about doing.

When she quit opening packs she sold me her entire holos from base, jungle, and fossil ect… and I completed all my sets for like 15 bucks.

I FINALLY CLAIMED THE CHEERIZARD!!! and her blastoise to i think…

Im pretty sure the other best opening was when i pulled a venusaur and alakazam as a kidling also… Venusaur was one of my firrst holow pullingtons i thanke… probably the first!.. I guess this is why i have a strong feelerb for the lettuce and call him venubae… It’s only fitting that my first no raritan psa 10 i bought was venubae, and the 1st no raritan ungraded i bought was venubae. My sestra calls me bean most of time, but some time she calls me beanusaur ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Thing is, i might have traded for the alakazam at this big w convention they had. It was huge!! Like a big pokemon trading convention thing… I remeber people brining really rare stuff there, that was like… OMG ITS AN IVORY PIKACHU… AND PROMO MEW! HOW! Thing was… Everyone was trying to trade there base set mint or whatever condition holos for friggin movie promos…me and sestra went to the movies fair few times, so we cashed in on dem trades for holoingtons at the event :ninja:

2 Likes

As a kid I haven’t opened any booster boxes, but I did open booster packs once in a while. My two most memorable pulls as a kid were probably the Crystal Type Kingdra from the Aquapolis set, and a holo Jolteon from the Jungle set. The second one isn’t all that valuable or special, but I love the artwork and it’s still one of my favorite cards in my collection. It’s also the oldest holo that I pulled myself and still have after all these years.

Another memorable pull was earlier this year. I bought a Korean CP6 booster box just to get the Korean Base Artwork Pikachu common, but in the second to last pack I also pulled the Pikachu EX Secret Rare. Since that was the only Secret Rare I pulled from the box, I was very happy it was the Pikachu, so I didn’t had to look for it on eBay. :blush:

Another pull worth mentioning perhaps was a holo Chansey in my very first (Base Set) pack, which I opened when I was 7 years old. But a few days later I traded it away for a non-Holo Vulpix, Pidgey and Pidgeotto, since I preferred more cards over holos at the time. :laughing: More on that here in the “Your first Pokémon Experimence” thread.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I only got into opening TCG packs more around the time when Ex Emerald was new. My local stores didn’t sell Pokemon packs for a long time and when I saw those Ex Emerald packs I had to buy a few. Every time when we went to a market with my mom and if I had money I would pick one up. One day I pulled a Raichu ex and that was the first ex card that I ever got. I was so amazed by the sparkle of it and those ex cards still are my favorite type of card today. Unfortunately I don’t have that Raichu anymore but I feel like buying one just to remember that moment :blush: Actually every time I pulled an ex it felt special because I usually didn’t have the best of luck with packs buying from local stores.

Also back in the DP / Platinum era, I was on the local toy store and had bought a blister pack of cards. Then the cashier said to me there is a small basket of sale items and there are some Pokemon packs in there if I wanted to check it out. I bought all of the packs that were for sale as they were like 2 € per pack or something. They were all Platinum packs and I had great pulls from them. I remember I got a shiny Lotad, shiny Vulpix and Hitmonchan secret rare. Of course I was happy with the pulls as I got the packs cheap.

From more recent memory I had an amazing Charizard Red & Blue Collection box, I had 1 or 2 EX cards on every pack. I actually had 2 of those boxes, the figurine one and the jumbo card one. The great pulls were from the figurine one, meanwhile I got nothing from the jumbo one. That’s what you get with Generations :grin:

Oh and one not-so-happy pack opening memory of mine is when I bought a tin and one of the packs in it was a Power Keepers booster. I opened it and it didn’t have a rare card at all D: the booster only had 8 cards in it and of course it was the rare that was missing. I was super disappointed but I still remember it today because it was so strange and that has never happened to me afterwards. I still have the reverse holo I pulled from the pack which was a Glalie

2 Likes

Favorite pull was probably when I opened up some EX Hidden Legends booster packs and pulled a Kyogre ex. It was the first old ex card I had ever pulled and when I got it graded it scored a 10 which was fantastic.

2 Likes

I bought a 1st Edition Gym Heroes Booster Pack that was advertised as being weighed a year or so ago because I needed the Erika artwork to complete my WotC Pack Art set and didn’t really care for the cards inside. Needless to say, I was very surprised when I opened it and pulled a 1st Edition Misty Holo. The Misty theme deck was one of the few products I was able to get as a kid back in the day, so I viewed the pull as a fated long time coming kind of thing. It was destiny.

:blush:

3 Likes