Did you ever pull the card you wanted when you were younger?

I never did get charizard but I did get a venusaur out of a base set as a kid.

How about you? What was your best pull when you got into Pokémon?

I wanted the Neo Destiny Dark Typhlosion so pulling it out of the Dark Theme Deck was easy :grinning:

5 Likes

I want to say I opened maybe 4 packs growing up and one was base set charizard sitting in the parking lot at Zany Brainy.

I don’t have a great memory but that I remember :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first ever pack was a base Charizard. I don’t remember what happened to it now, but at the time I felt destined for greatness. My cousin of the same age pulled a Blastoise shortly after, which was quite fitting because at the time I had chosen Pokemon Red while he went Blue.

Seems as you guys had some better luck than I did. Awesome memories!

The best Card I have ever pulled was a Venusaur from a Base Set Pack but I remember a very cool Story from CHildhood: My best friend at that time and I bought 2 Neo Genesis Booster Packs (one for each of us) and I pulled only a Trainer Card but he pulled out the beautiful Lugia. Both of us where so so happy this day!

1 Like

I wanted the goldstar charizard went hunting for ex dragonfrontiers packs on my bike as a kid, eventually pulled it at 11 years old. its still with me as a psa 4 will never sell it. the card that kickstarted me backinto the hobby!

4 Likes

I pulled a Charizard and wanted a Venusaur so opposite of op, it got bully traded away haha.

To balance my luck I once got a pack of base set from toys r us which - I swear - contained only energy. 11 energy cards.
I doubt people were resealing in 1999/2000.

1 Like

My little sister and I both pulled the cards that we wanted on the day of the Base Set’s release in 1999! I pulled Charizard, and she pulled Mewtwo. First packs ever! We still have them to this very day (I was nine then, and I’m thirty-three now)! :sparkles:

1 Like

My parents bought me very very few booster pack, I can remember every single good pull:

-legendary reverse holo Sandshrew
-salamence delta species
-unseen forces scizor ex
-cyber end dragon in yugioh

To be honest I chose packs randomly and kid brain wanted just something cool to put in the binder lol. But pull rates seemed so bad that I was forbidden by mom to buy them :frowning:

It reminds me of when I bought the Celebi Forest Guardian theme deck. For some reason my baby brain was convinced that Metagross was the boss card. Lol everything was screaming GRASS but you can’t stop a kid’s dream I guess.

3 Likes

no bc i grew up poor and only had a chance to open a few packs in my childhood. i think i only pulled a couple holos

3 Likes

My first ever pack was a Base Set 2 booster pack and I pulled a Charizard. I’ll never forget it! Hard to believe 20+ years later I’d get a CGC 9.5 for the going price of a PSA 8 at the time, lol:

2 Likes

My best pull ever as a kid was a 1st Edition Dark Blastoise Holo. I still remember the day i pulled the card and how hard everyone was trying to trade for it :sweat_smile:

My dream pull at that time was a 1st Edition Spanish Charizard, never happened.

1 Like

Never pulled a dark charizard holo. :frowning:

Base set Gyrados, from Overgrowth Deck… Don’t recall pulling a single holo from a booster pack, mainly because there was so few. 10 year old me did not have much discretionary capital.

3 Likes

To be honest I never really knew the differences between packs so I didn’t know what was possible from each pack I managed to get my hands on.
I remember getting one pack of Neo Revelation for Christmas from my parents one year and it had a Suicune on the front so I wanted to pull that… and lo and behold I did! That was a great memory.
The other card I remember pulling (and still have) was a Shining Noctowl, but I didn’t even know about the other shinings except for Steelix which my brother pulled. (we must have been insanely lucky as I doubt we opened more than a few packs each)

5 Likes

Yes, I pulled a Charizard and Venusaur in 1999, both 1. Edition. I still have them, and will never sell. I never pulled a blastoise though.

3 Likes

I didn’t get too many packs of Pokemon cards but I believe I pulled a few holos as a kid. I vaguely remember pulling a base set Blastoise, the card I remember vividly is a holo Kangaskhan from Jungle because it got creased during a potential trade. I was the only little weirdo who put all his cards in a binder, everyone else just kept stacks with rubber bands!

2 Likes

I pulled a Venusaur base and then Charizard in a single pack my mom got me at Toys R Us. I wanted Blastoise though :frowning:

Edit

Me and PokemonProfessor living the same life lol

3 Likes

As a kid, I did not really know all the Pokémon cards that existed so I was just happy with the cards I pulled. I remember pulling Fossil Gengar, Magneton and Jungle Vaporeon holos. I still have them in my collection.

1 Like