What are your favorite/most memorable pulls?

if this wasn’t a Pokemon forum i’d be saying WTF at the thread title.

5 Likes

“Mine had to be that 1st ed Lass I pulled, a real gem mint 10. I’ll never forget her”

All joking aside I think mine has to be base set Charizard. After about 2 years I finally got it in a pack. It was really gem mint. Sadly I sold it after about 7 years. Wish I hadn’t.
And I opened a lot of base packs back in the day. Never Opened a Blastoise or Venusaur either. So was definitely a surprise when I did.

3 Likes

Was it only base set 1st edition boxes that allow you to pull so many multiples of one holo card?

I’m yet to open a box that has 2 holos of the same card let alone 3 and i have opened many wotc era boxes.

1 Like

I have two.

My first was my very first booster pack when Pokemon just started. As a lover of dragons, I was psyched that my first rare ever was a Dragonair from Base set. A kid on the bus told me Diamond was more rare than Star. Being the gullible child I was in 5th grade, I traded it for his Magmar. A friend was able to get him to trade it back after finding out the same day. Still have it. :blush:

The other was what started my Gyarados Collection. I already had 4 other types of Gyarados cards and when Shining Gyarados was announced to be in the next set, I was stoked. Then I read how rare it was amd figured I would never get it. One day my mom let me buy three packs and I had forgotten about my desire for the card. First two packs were pretty good and so I turned to the third one and pulled the Shining Gyarados in all its glory. Screamed from excitement. After that, I was dedicated to collecting Gyarados cards.

And that’s why I put my “Original 5” in slates since they’re my most prized Gyarados cards. :blush:

7 Likes

Back in 2002, when the Neo Destiny expansion was released. I would stop by the local card shop on the way back from school on every Friday to purchase a single booster pack from the money I saved from my weekly allowance. It was one of those sweet moment every week that I would look forward to. I distinctly recall purchasing 4 booster packs on my birthday week with the extra allowance my mum gave me. To me that was month’s haul in a single week! Lo and behold I pulled a Shining Steelix out of a pack. I didn’t realize how rare it was back then.

Unfortunately I traded it away for a Sceptile EX which I woefully regret to this day. Looking at eBay listings on a Shining Steelix just makes me feel guilty for trading it away.

1 Like

This thread is what it is all about. I have told this story before on the forum in similar conversations.

My Blastoise sticks out as my most memorable pull of all time. About 18 years later and I still remember it quite well. The only of the starter trio holos that I pack pulled in my youth. Had to trade to get Venusaur and got Charizard from Santa. I guess that “pull” would be right up there as well, but that came from a Santa wrapped present on Christmas, clearly my Mom bought it off eBay as she knew I was bummed I never had the opportunity to pack pull one.

More fun pulls of recent would definitely include all the various charizard pulls I have been lucky enough to make. Since I never got one out of a pack in my youth, pulling that charizard from my 1st base set box was awesome back in 2014. Since then I have pulled a handful more of them, one even grading a 10. (that I sold last year for ~$350 D’OH) I have been lucky enough to open multiple German 1st edition, a Chinese, an Italian, a French, and Spanish 1st edition boxes most of which I have gotten a charizard in, at least one of each language. Crystal lugia was quite a fun card to open as well as crystal charizard. I pulled a few gold stars last year from my ex box openings and those were always a rush as well.

3 Likes

pulling a base set charizard in 1999 as a kid!

I remember i was phasing out of pokemon at the time… and my mum bought me a booster pack at harvey norman… on special!! and yeah, wow, a charizard. omg!! ^.^ still have it at home…

2 Likes

Believe it or not, my favorite pull of all time was a mint Full Art M Gyarados EX from Breakpoint and a mint SR Here Comes Team Rocket from Evolutions (that somehow had all CP6 cards in the English pack except for the SR) with my mom lol. As some of you know, ive recently started collecting Magikarp and Gyarados, with some much appreciated help from some of the more veteran collectors on here. Breakpoint was an amazing set for me, as it was centered around my guy, the red Gyarados.

My ma always asks me what i want for Christmas, and i wanted to do something cool with her, as she knows im an avid pokemon collector. So, i asked if we could buy a few packs to open and play some Pokemon GO together (shes literally almost lvl 40). She, being the amazing mother she is, bought me BOXES of Breakpoint, Evolutions, CP6, even 1st ed Fossils.

She gave me a few to open throughout my visit, but since I had to leave before Christmas day, as I only have a few days of military leave, we set a day to have a Pokemon extravaganza. I was just telling her how bad the English sets were innately damaged and off-centered and how I hoped to God that if we do pull our Full Arts, they be mint. Wouldnt you believe it, we pulled both the cards we (I) desperately wanted in some of the best condition ive seen to date, in the most hilarious of circumstances. Her and I playing Pokemon GO, both freaking out; such a precious and gay moment. It was a moment I appreciate more than anything and really illustrated how a hobby like this can bring people together, especially in a season like that. Now i just pray to pull that damn standard Full Art Gyarados soon lol

3 Likes

These are all awesome! But I especially love hearing about the lengths moms (and dads, although I think I’ve mostly read about moms, it seems :thinking:) getting into Pokémon. @megacon and @pokemonsyndicate 's moms should probably make their own e4 accounts.:joy:

1 Like

I know haha. Shes amazing, and you gotta appreciate parents that back up your hobbies lol

1 Like

I was around maybe 7 or 8 years old, and was at my best friend’s birthday party. There were party totes bags for all the kids, and the each had a Pack of Base Set. My family wasn’t really wealthy, so to me being able to open a Booster pack of my own was a treat. I remember flipping through the cards one by one and to my astonishment, I got my favorite card, Arcanine. It wasn’t a holo, or even a rare, but it was my favorite card in the set, and I always remember how happy I was that day to pull it.

7 Likes

Want an amazing party bag idea. On another note, this hit me in the feels man.

1 Like

2 Likes

just bought a 20th anniversary box and in the 4th pack I got a Charizard EX, and the 5th pack got a Dragonite EX full art with a Charizard. feelsgoodman

2 Likes

Probably the most memorable pull was when I was young and bought a base set 2 pack. I remember saving up my allowance for 2 weeks and walking 2 miles to the nearest 7-eleven and purchasing a booster pack with my sister. I remember that day like it was yesterday. The sun was starting to set and it was a cool summer breeze. In all honesty, I don’t know if my mom even realized that I had left with my sister to go downtown. But I will never forget opening that pack and finding a Holo Mewtwo. It was probably one of my most prized cards. I actually still have it to this day and it looks as mint as the day I pulled it because as soon as I got home I ran upstairs and pull it in a clear sleeve a kid at school gave me. Haha, I never traded it and I never will. Its crazy to think that was almost 17 years ago…

6 Likes

As a kid - Zapdos and Pidgeot holos from Base and Jungle. Where I lived, Pidgeot was the rarest holo after Charizard, no idea why.

Not pull but best trade was when I swapped the other 15 holos for the the Charizard (Unlimited - we didn’t get the 1st Edition in UK) I still have that Charizard, and when I got back into collecting, I actually graded it and it got a 9. How in the hell it survived all these years amazes me. I’ll never sell that one.

As an adult…

• Chinese unlimited Charizard from a bunch of loose packs. I bought 6 or so loose packs…and he was in the last one. Awesome. I actually took a photo mid pull - I believe it’s in my guide on this forum.

• Two 1st edition Chinese Charizards from loose packs and a sealed box I opened.

5 Likes

My fav pull will always be the first booster pack I ever opened original base set blaistoise remember it like it was yesterday , stupidly swapped it for a gyrados and a hitmonchan the next day

2 Likes