What was your first ever Rare/Holo Pokémon card?

I will never forget my first encounter. I clearly remember going to the mall with my parents when i was about 7. We we’re casually walking around when i saw a little promotional stand, before major retail stores sold Pokémon cards. So I walked up to the stand with my dad and saw all these Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise booster packs (Base Set) which left me in complete awe. I asked my dad if he can buy me one, he said sure pick one. So obviously I chose the Charizard pack. I opened it and was amazed by each and every card and then…BAM! Laying there before my hands was a bright and shiny, holographic 1st eition Zapdos! I told my dad to look with such exitement! And he said in spanish “wow looks real nice, dont loose it.” The next day i showed all my friends, I didnt like their reaction though I was able to sense some sort of jelousy, probably the first time i felt someone else envy.But none the less, we were kids and they ended up pulling Charizard’s and what not down the line. In conclusion that my friends was my first ever Holo card.

2 Likes

Sadly I cant remember! however my first graded holo was Rayquaza Gold Star!

1 Like

My first rare that I remember pulling was a Lass from Base Set. First common I distinctly remember was an Onix from the same pack :blush:

My first holo was a base Jpn Venusaur. Been my favorite ever since.

4 Likes

I honestly cannot remember, I really liked the base set diglett a lot though…

1 Like

How old were you? Do you still have it gary?

I remember owning the collectors guide as well. The charizard was but a dream to me, I used to stare at the Base Charizard Picture everyday hoping id pull one. Sadly I never pulled a Charizard :confused: There was a liquor store that my dad would go to on the weekends that had all 16 for sale, 1st edition. I remember Charizard was $100 but i never asked my dad to buy it knowing it was too farfetch’d…

1 Like

I have faint memories of my old Pokemon collecting (3rd-4th grade) and I remember I had a Tyranitar ex delta species, a Typhlosion ex (Unseen Forces), a terribly creased Blissey ex (It had 160 HP, so I was convinced it was the best card ever) and a Latias gold star that I traded away to a friend for some ex cards.

I don’t exactly remember the first ultra rare I got when I got back into collecting (probably something useless from Legendary Treasures), but the first card I ever bought off of eBay was Ho-Oh EX Full Art. Always liked that card. Would love to get a PSA graded copy at some point.

1 Like

Awesome memories huh fourthstar? I hope we can get more stories on here. I have faint memories of all the holos I ever pulled. I pulled: 1st ed Zapdos, unlimited blastoise, venusaur, and mewtwo. Reverse holo LC Haunter and Onix. Shining Steelix. And I saw a couple of movies, I remember when I opened my Ancient Mew I instantly treasured it.

My first holo/rare that I pulled was a Base set 1st ed Nidoking. I was 6 when I went to school and saw people talking about Pokemon and had cards and the sticker like Darkrai posted so one of the girld iirc in my class gave me a few of her crappy uncommons and energies which were my first ever cards but I clearly remember going home that day and started watching Pokemon and iv been hooked on ever since. I convinced my brother to take me to the shopping centre that very weekend were I bought a few of booster packs but the pull I clearly remember is that Nidoking which is one of my favourites ever since.

3 Likes

My first holo was Charizard base set (can’t remember if it was 1st Ed.). I remember being upset because I really wanted Venusaur being the evo of my favourite Pokémon.

3 Likes

Wow pretty cool a few people had the chance to open 1st edition base when they were young.

I don’t think Australia got much of those prints, but I remember I opened an unlimited charizard when I was 11.

3 Likes

The first holo I ever pulled was a Fossil Ditto. I loved it so much that I had it laminated to protect it.

.>

2 Likes

Yeah I had a thought it was unlimited. Grade 6, I was also 11. Man, good times to be a kid =)

1 Like

I hate Lass.
First holo was gyarados out of overgrowth deck.

2 Likes

My mom had brought me home 3 base set packs from Wal mart one of each artwork I got a blastoise and loved Pokemon ever since.

2 Likes

I believe I do cause we still have the first binder and it has all Jpn cards inside.
This was before English cards were released and there were reports in the media about a Japanese cartoon series causing seizures to some kids who watched it there. Based on that notoriety a vendor at the Frank and Sons Collectible show in Hacienda Heights California had Japanese packs for sale. That’s where we pulled that card:)

2 Likes

Hmm, I think the first unlimited Base set packs I ever purchased contained Chansey and Magneton, I had only learned few days before Pokemon tcg existing.

Friend of mine visited here with couple boosters in his pocket. First pull he got was Alakazam, both of us went nuts because we thought it was rarest of them all ( 1/102 ). :grin:

1 Like

mine was hitmonchan from the unlimited base set which i got from a few packs i bought from a newsagent. Then a few months down the line, i bought a base set booster box and managed to pull Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur from it :grin: Will never forget those days, wish i could do it again :blush:

1 Like

I can vaguely remember pulling an electabuzz