What's your most Recent Purchase? [Archive]

:blush:

12 Likes

Generally not the biggest fans of these topps first movie cards, but these made me go ā€œWow!ā€ Excellent collection additions.

2 Likes

Congrats @quuador, its awesome you found one.

1 Like

Cool collection! Is the PSA 4 (last image) a childhood card? I feel like this one has a story or sentimental value behind it.

2 Likes

Thank you. :blush: And yep, that is the card that was given to me at the cinemas when I was a kid. I hadnā€™t seen the first movie in theaters (although I did see it on TV later on), but me, my parents, and little brother did go to the second movie in cinemas, where we received four Moltres cards (two for me, of which I traded one for a Zapdos; and two for my little brother, who traded one for an Articuno). When I first saw the Moltres (I think I was 8 at the time) it quickly became my favorite artwork of all PokĆ©mon TCG cards, which still holds true today.
When someone on Efour told me this Moltres artwork is Holofoil in the Japanese PokƩmon Web set I immediately bought both a raw and PSA-10 graded copy, and that was basically the start of my small sub-collection you see in the link. :grin: I graded the card I received as a child last year for nostalgia sake, and am actually surprised it came back as a PSA-4, since I was expecting a 2 with a small chance at a 3.

Right now Iā€™m just looking for a sealed Japanese 1st edition PokĆ©mon Web booster pack with the Moltres (and possibly a quad-10 CGC-10 one day), and then Iā€™ll consider this collection complete. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Waiting a couple of years for a sealed box in good condition was worth it:

10 Likes

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. That holo version is sick. Did you eventually trade him for that Articuno? :grin: Is your brother still collecting today?
I donā€™t think that my experience with Pokemon cards would have been nearly as enjoyable without my brother (then and now).

The hunt for Japanese promos continuesā€¦

17 Likes

I indeed did. I traded my Neo Revelations Raikou for his Articuno promo. That way I had all three promo legendary birds, and he had all three Neo Revelations legendary dogs/cats.

But no, he isnā€™t collecting anymore. He gave me his collection in 2019. The only thing he currently ā€˜collectsā€™ are books from Japanese writers and manga. Learning Japanese is currently his biggest hobby.

Greetz,
Quuador

@kpod stunning pics dude! First and foremost congrats on the Mew! Buying those minty sealed Japanese promos just feels so good, especially when theyā€™re big hitters like that!

Mostly curious about your corocoro promos though, are they in gradable condition? I find them SO hard to come by even in near mint.

My brother and I did something similar with Base and Jungle/Fossil. Guess we decided we both couldnā€™t collect it all.

At first, I wondered to myself ā€œI wonder how many times he countedā€. Then I saw how organized you are. And I was likeā€¦ohhhhhhh, youā€™re the Pikachu guy! So awesome. This feels like one of those ā€œlive vicariously through someone elseā€ situations. I look forward to watching you get closer to catching em all in 2021.

1 Like

Luigi box just arrived yesterday. Itā€™s for my brother. Heā€™s so stoked that heā€™s hunting down a Mario box. Now, Iā€™m trying to decide if I should find another Luigi box for me to open. Things quickly escalated from discovering a whole new world of Japanese exclusives to that overwhelming feeling of ā€œI gotta have itā€

1 Like

Thanks! Might crack the Mew out if the L/R centering is withing the 60/40 parameters. Yes most CoroCoro cards are all gradable between 8-10 grades. My personal goal is to grade a complete PSA 10, and PSA 9 set on my own.

1 Like

@kpod, Iā€™m drooling. OH MY GAWWWWD. One of the best pickups Iā€™ve seen here lately. Iā€™m currently buying upgrades of many of those myself!

1 Like

Wow, Iā€™m actually really impressed that you managed to get ahold of so many of them in such good condition. Most of them have a PSA 10 pop well below 10, so a complete gem mint corocoro set would be an insane accomplishment.
Good luck on the grades and definitely keep us updated!

4 Likes

Just purchased a Darkness Ablaze box for $189 at a local card shop - my first ever booster box, Iā€™ve wanted to open one since I was a kid :blush:

I also ordered a few things from Troll&Toad since it was pretty cheapā€¦ A few holos and promos I was looking for, and one of those 20 holo mystery things because I like surprises :laughing:

ā€¦Oh, and definitely not notable, but I finally picked up some toploaders for my good cards. It feels nice, Iā€™m still so new to collecting so it makes me feel like Iā€™m a ā€œrealā€ collector lol

8 Likes

16 Likes

The 2 Mythical Gold Star Pokemon, Celebi being the most recent acquisition. Finding a PSA 10 Japanese Mew was nigh impossible, quality control messed up hard when that card was in printā€¦

19 Likes

That Celebi :heart_eyes: How much was it if you donā€™t mind me asking?

@kingboo64, that Celebi was a steal compared to other current Gold Stars for sale, about $660. The seller didnā€™t mention the key words ā€œGold Starā€ in the auction header, so it kinda flew under the radar.

1 Like