What is your LEAST favorite card of your favorite pokemon?

I’m sure we all have that one (or several) cards of our favorite Pokemon that in a vacuum we would rate a 1/10 or 2/10, but since it’s our favorite Pokemon, it’s bumped up to a 4/10 or even 5/10. What is your least favorite card of your most beloved Pokemon? Maybe it’s the artwork? Bad incident/memory that is tied to the card? Whatever it is, post below and tell us why!

I’ll start off with my favorite Pokemon: Diglett & Dugtrio.

Diglett (Fates Collide): This one really hurts me. I love the back drop and the feel of card, it even has a Zubat in it! But the lighting on the nose, to me, makes it look like Diglett has fat lips (Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle anyone?). I hate that’s all I can see every time I look at the card. :dizzy_face:
https://den-cards.pokellector.com/188/Diglett.FCO.36.png

Dugtrio (Platinum): I think it’s the lack of depth on the Dugtrio compared to the background that irks me on this one. It just feels like much more effort was put into the backdrop than the pokemon itself (i.e. shading on the rubble around the Dugtrio vs. no shading on the Dugtrio).
https://cdn2.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/ad/DugtrioPlatinum24.jpg

6 Likes

Definitely this Starmie for me.

I prefer when Starmie is drawn with more equal proportions. This Starmie is in what I tend to think of as “Starman Position” where there is more emphasis on its lower limbs as legs and its upper limbs as arms. I particularly dislike this one because that’s the whole card. Starmie is standing there. And in the background, a bunch of other Starmie are freaking out in random positions and places with no real indication of what they’re doing. This card does nothing to me. Just a bunch of Starmie being weird on a beach. Bad card.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Starmie always sounded the coolest in the cartoon. Loved that they sounded so tough!

Any CGI art Typhlosions. DP era holo, ex unseen forces (ex version of course), EX Sandstorm ex, HGSS Prime (to a slight degree), and the cgi expedition variant (has grown on me slightly, but still bottom tier for me).

That whole polygon look might hold some nostalgia for playing things like Nintendo 64 back in the day, but man those things now just look dated beyond measure. Its like a piece of history that I can appreciate for what it was, but im so glad this isnt the case today with modern graphics.

6 Likes

Damn, this is your least favorite? I think this is awesome.

10 Likes

I hate the artwork for Mewtwo ex. Never clicked with me.

2 Likes

Angry caterpillar:

12 Likes

yuck

2 Likes

Call me a heathen but…I don’t like Umbreon’s rookie card

I know what the artist was going for, but this just isn’t Umbreon to me. I know it’s supposed to look more realistic, but the head shape just doesn’t work. Why this artwork (that doesn’t represent Umbreon but is more an artistic impression of it imo) was chosen for the rookie card, I don’t know. I certainly prefer the non-holo version in Neo Discovery and would have rather seen that one as the holo:

I probably dislike the rainbow rare Umbreon GX a bit more than the rookie card still, but choosing the rainbow rare would be cheating.

5 Likes

Too lumpy for me, haha :wink:

Shock. Hey, at least the Japanese version has a slightly better head shape for you…?

11 Likes

Blastoise and Mewtwo have pretty solid art overall, but here were my choices:

10 Likes

Lovely scenery on both these cards, but way too skinny.

Dusclops doesn’t do a very good job of impersonating Goldilocks on her way to the bears:

Nor does he make for a convincingly sexy Hulder:

3 Likes

Are they actually different? I’m going back and forth and they look exactly the same to me. Do you have a clearer comparison?

1 Like

The bottom left 2x2 corner here are my four least favorite Chanseys. The Himeno in particular is disappointing compared to her spectacular Your Name’s Chansey.

1 Like

www.elitefourum.com/t/lemme-just-ruin-this-great-artwork-for-you-real-quick/28798/1

Also, on topic:

There are WAY more terrible 'Saur artworks than good ones, though.

7 Likes

@qwachansey, I was expecting you to say this was your least favorite Chansey :wink:

9 Likes

@smpratte unfortunately after too many generations of inbreeding and incest, whatever that beastly thing is, it is certainly not the same species as Chansey.

13 Likes

@traderred,That’s definitely a Serperior dressed up as a Dragonair.

@jawsh98, I would have definitely considered that card to be pretty sweet at glance, but now that you listed it and I’ve had some time to examine it, gotta say that Lugia’s head contortion is really throwing me off. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

@c0ll3ct0r likes em THICCC. :sunglasses:

@muk,You think it has something to do with Venusaur having a disproportionate (or at least it feels like it) amount of CGI cards? Most of the ones that I can recall off the top of my head are CGI.

2 Likes