What Is Your Favorite EX Nintendo Set? Poll

Hey Everyone,

Here is another poll, this time for your favorite Nintendo EX era set. I will do more in the future with different topics and some with multiple votes as well! :blush:

2 Likes

Delta Species! Could be any other set with the delta species cards inside, though (e.g. Dragon Frontiers, Ninetales delta species = life). I just really like the concept of alternative type Pokemon.

10 Likes

I first remember opening dragon frontiers and power keepers as a kid, but my favorite ex set has to be team rocket returns.

2 Likes

Delta Species got my vote, too! I’m not so much into ex Pokemon but Delta Species are really cool.

That being said, I actually like the fat e-reader holo border of the early ex’s a lot. Some of them have also really cool coherent artwork throughout the set to match their general theme like ex Sandstorm!

To me, this is the golden era of Pokémon. Best card interaction and gameplay by far, my favorite card design, best reverse holos, best ultra rares, and some absolutely incredible artwork. When I go through my sets, I feel the most awe looking at these even over WOTC.

My first ever sanctioned event was the Emerald prerelease, so there’s a lot of nostalgia there and it’s got my vote. I pulled a holographic Manectric and Blaziken, and a Raichu ex.

10 Likes

As much as I have lots of nostalgia for the WOTC-era some of the early ex sets also have a special place in my Pokémon loving heart. :heart_eyes: Stand outs would be FRLG, TRR, Delta Species and Dragon Frontiers. So much variation and amazing art in these sets. Also, the only prerelease I ever attended back in the day was for Delta Species at the local card shop in my hometown. Good times. :blush:

1 Like

Unseen Forces gang rise up!
Edit: oh my god 16 years and I JUST realized what the unseen forces symbol is- it’s lugia and ho-oh’s wings crossed together.

5 Likes

ex Dragon feels so underrated in my opinion. Those Charmander evolution line secret rares are so epic.

7 Likes

I will say, none

Have to go Dragon for all the great rooks alone

I’ve owned some beautiful arts that really pop in person, but this card is my absolute favorite artwork. I’ll have to take a quick vid of it later because when you shine the light on this card it looks so amazing

The cards in Magma vs Aqua are seriously breathtaking, and I think the ereader border on the exes are the best out of any exes created and look much better than the bottom borders on Ex Ruby & Sapphire

With that said, I accidentally clicked on delta species and can’t change my vote

7 Likes

Holon Phantoms deserves better than last - so i’ll change that

7 Likes

I voted EX Deoxys. Really good looking set with one of the best gold star trio and especially japanese booster/box artwork is outstanding.

1 Like

Probably an unpopular opinion, but my favorite is Ex Emerald! I love the art through the whole set and I know most of the cards are just reprints of Japanese Promo cards and deck cards and that there are no Gold Stars, but I don’t care about that. I also love the reverse holo pattern so much that I have a full reverse holo set of it.

Emerald also holds lots of nostalgia for me because it was the time when I truly started to buy more TCG packs. When I was young I would only get one random pack here and there, but during the time Emerald was out as a teen I would use every penny I had for Pokemon packs :grin:

And Ex Emerald Rayquaza is one of my top favorite cards of all the time.

5 Likes

This is a hard one! The ex era is my favorite era of all time. Especially the sets from ex Holon Phantoms until ex Power Keepers. I have to decide on ex Dragon Frontiers as the Ninetales in that set is one of my favorites. Also love all the delta species in the set. next to this it’s the set I loved the most as a kid.

2nd would be Power Keepers though (eventhough this is an unpopular opinion for most), love that set as well!

1 Like

I love the Ex Era, i’d vote all of them if i could. But since i only got one choice, im going for team rockets returns!

2 Likes

EX Legend Maker, with EX Emerald as a close second. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I have to say ex Dragon Frontiers :blush:Amazing artworks, great gameplay mechanics (true for all ex series and especially delta era), personal nostalgia,…I might even say it’s my favourite set :blush:

2 Likes

EX Dragon Frontiers is the greatest set Pokemon ever produced! Here are the reasons why:

1. Delta Species. It’s one of the best mechanics implemented for collectors in my opinion. Once they got the hang of it, they started making the Pokemon’s delta type similar to the colors of the Pokemon itself. This makes for an incredible cohesiveness between the Pokemon and the card, especially on the ex cards but even on common cards as well. As the artists knew what types the Pokemon would be, there’s even more cohesiveness as they’ll throw in some notes to that in the artwork. This Bagon does a really good job showing off what I’m talking about. And with Dragon Frontiers, there’s only two non-delta cards in the set!

1. The Ultimate Chase: Charizard Star. We all knew about it, we all dreamed of pulling it, it’s one of the greatest cards in the hobby and it’s very very rare. Depending on gold star rates, you’d be lucky to get one in about every fourth box. It’s what everyone thinks about when they see a pack of Dragon Frontiers and there’s no other card in the EX era with the hype and collector value as this card. You would have to go back to base set to find a card this hyped, and I don’t think there’s been a comparable one since.

1. No Disappointments. Most sets with amazing cards in them like Dragon Frontiers have, frankly, disappointment cards as well. Nobody wants to break a Flashfire box and pull Toxicroaks and Magnezones. Imagine cracking that heavy 1st ed Team Rocket pack and…Dark Weezing. Your Neo Destiny pack has a shining, but it’s…a Shining Noctowl. That’s not the case with Dragon Frontiers. The ex cards are as follows: Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Kingdra, Altaria, Gardevoir, and Tyranitar. The gold stars are Charizard and Mew. Even the holos are all amazing Pokemon with amazing artwork!

All in all, you can’t beat Dragon Frontiers.

11 Likes

My favorite era!

This is the most nostalgic card for me in the entire hobby. I remember pulling this card multiple times (both reverse and regular) and having them scattered all over my bed when I was a seven years old. When I first got back into the hobby, the EX Delta Species pack arts were the first thing I remembered and it blew my mind!
Definitely my favorite set of all time. The holographic rares are gorgeous, and they incorporate all of the eeveelutions at the time. I could just go on and on about this, but I’ll stop here. :grin: I love that the gold stars aren’t the only thing that people appreciate about this era, and that more and more people are talking about it!

4 Likes