Favorite EX Expansion Set?

I have always been a WOTC collector so I never ventured too far past Skyridge, but I’ve been looking at different EX cards and really have enjoyed some of the artwork across different sets. I’m curious what EX set is your favorite and why?

Team RR is probably hands down the best for all the important reasons. Dragon is my favorite for the rookies, art, and the cards are relatively inexpensive and not terribly popular from what I can tell.

5 Likes

Not really one favorite in particular, but some of my favorite ex era sets (due to their artworks) are: EX Legend Maker; EX Emerald; EX Team Rocket Returns.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Here are my top 3:

• TRR: great artwork in more of a dark comic book style, stands out from most other pokemon sets IMO, first stamped reverse holos (set name stamped on all reverse holos, all reverse holos are actually holos), first gold stars, low print run and not great print quality make it a great chase set, great EX cards and lots of them
  • Dragon Frontiers and Delta Species are a tie for my #2 and #3. Both have cool and unique art, plus the delta species cards change the traditional types which is cool. The rare cards and reverse rares have shiny, blingy gold borders, both have great EX cards and gold stars.

Overall I think the EX series have a tremendous amount to offer and runners up are numerous but I really debated if Deoxys should be a top 3 given a lot of the same factors as TRR. I personally have collected a graded set of all of the gold stars and am wrapping up reverse binder sets of all 15 EX sets including the EX cards plus gold stars.

8 Likes

My favorites:

#1: EX Dragon Frontiers. This set is really the best of the EX era in my opinion, it’s got a significant amount of absolutely beautiful ex cards (Salamence, Dragonite, Flygon, Latis), and of course gold star Charizard and Mew. The transition of delta species towards a single type which matches the Pokemon’s color makes this set ridiculously cohesive and fun to open. I don’t think there’s anything that Pokemon could have done better here.

#2: EX Fire Red Leaf Green. It’s pretty much the base set of EX era, you’ve got the Kanto starters as ex, Kanto birds as ex, and tons of beautiful holo cards. Some of the ex are fairly underwhelming like Mr. Mime (two of them) and Electrode but for a set with the OG starters its gotta be a gamble to get them.

#3: EX Unseen Forces. Espeon, Umbreon, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Tyranitar, Celebi, and more as ex cards. It’s got the most ex out of any set but man they are all killer cards. Again, the holos are top notch and it’s hard to find a knock on this set outside of the ubiquitous gold star dogs. The only thing going against this set is the lack of ex pulls, with 13 set-based ex and a pull rate of 2-3 per box, you can get a really unfriendly box if you pull some of the less exciting ex cards. But that makes the big ones even more special!

11 Likes

Great to see dragon frontiers get some love!

My favorites:

1. EX TRR
  2. EX Dragon Frontiers
  3. EX Unseen Forces
3 Likes
  1. Team Rocket Returns
  2. Power Keepers
  3. Team Magma VS Team Aqua
2 Likes

Its gotta be

1. EX Sandstorm, loved the art and have a lot of fond memories begging my mom for a pack every now and then as a kid
  2. EX Dragon, similarly stellar art
  3. TRR for all the fun of the chase as other have mentioned
    *Edit,
    Team Magma vs Team Aqua is a very close 4th place for me. Love the weird 3D art style
3 Likes

My favorite is TRR. Love the artwork and overall one of my favorite sets

2 Likes

I’m a WOTC collector but i do like a few sets from EX era:

* Team Rocket Returns
* Fire Red & Leaf Green
* EX Dragon Frontiers

3 Likes

I’ve been spending far too much time just browsing sets online recently but I think my favourite set would be Unseen Forces or Dragon Frontiers. I’m very partial to the Umbreon/Espeon exs in particular in Unseen Forces but I genuinely love Gen 2 and there’s plenty in there for me. Dragon Frontiers is also excellent, delta species are well done in the set but they only knock is that I don’t particularly like the holofoil choice they made. Said it before but I always hoped they would bring something like delta species back to the TCG.

Special mention to Team Rocket Returns and Hidden Legends for the Snorlax/Mewtwo ex and Ninetales ex respectively. TRR is also excellent and unique in how it’s done but I’m not as big of a fan of it. The Snorlax/Mewtwo ex arts are super nice though and I’m a big fan. Particularly love the Ninetales ex from Hidden Legends, the artwork is just so cool and it shines through.

1 Like

#1 ex Dragon. For the Dragonite, latios & latias ex card art alone. Box & pack art also second to none.

#2 ex FRLG for the shattered crystal holo birds and ofc ex versions of the OG starters.

2 Likes

TRR and Dragon frontiers!

1 Like

Ex Emerald - the set has many of my favorite Pokemon and lots of art from my favorite artists Fukuda and Saitou. I love the reverse holo pattern too. I know many people don’t like Emerald because most of the cards are reprints of Japanese promos and the set doesn’t have Gold Stars, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Delta Species I would also rank very high - I love the Delta Species Pokemon variants and the holos and reverses look so nice.

Team Rocket Returns is great as well, I love the Dark Pokemon and the mixture of black and the Pokemon’s original type color combination. It just looks so nice and the art on those Dark cards is amazing.

Ex Dragon - early ex set with lots of holos, rares and ex cards that I love (Both Salamences, both Flygon, Latias ex, Dragonite ex, for example)

Overall ex -era is my favorite era by far and I’m trying collecting all of the sets.

2 Likes

My top #3

#1 EX Deoxys: Amazing pack art and box art, Latias and Rayquaza gold stars, nice exs, cool reverses. But I’m probably biased as Deoxys is my #2 favorite Pokemon.

EX TRR: Love the Rocket’s exs, dark pokemon, artwork, tyranitar pack art, and Gold Stars.

#3 EX Legend Maker: Love the artwork on the gold stars and the way the reverse holo pattern goes so well with many of the cards artwork.

1 Like

TRR because I love the artwork. I mean just look at the Dark Dragonite. Probably my favorite artwork of all-time:

3 Likes

Completely agree with you on Team Rocket Returns being the best, and of course this card is also my favorite from the set!

I’m also a big fan of EX Dragon, as I loved the design for the ex cards and am a big fan of dragons, namely Dragonite!

3 Likes