What's your favorite set?

Like the title says, I was curious about what people’s favorite sets are and why? :blush:
Me specifically, I just love the ex Crystal Guardians set. I have a fondness for the delta species, and crystal guardians in particular has a few striking cards. One of them being the beautiful charizard. The art just in general in this set I find beautiful, and the overal reverse holo pattern used in this set really makes them look quite special.
*shakes fist* I will have a reverse holo graded set of that electric charmander, charmeleon and charizard one day! Got copies in my binder but none really worth grading XD

3 Likes

My nostalgia comes from opening jungle packs as a kid. I love those first few sets but that ones my favorite.

1 Like

Base Set
#closethread

1 Like

Neo Destiny, well any of the neo sets love all the artwork from the neo’s…
But if i had to pick one it would be neo destiny love the shining cards :blush:

1 Like

Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge, Pokemon Vs series, Neo sets and order of appreciation: tie between destiny/discovery revelation close second genesis third Ex Rocket Returns, Magma Vs Aqua: Two Ambition’s.

Why? Artworks, Gym sets have some amazing panoramic cards with the mon off center aside from that the cards have prefixes and a gym badge/leader as extra decoration which looks incredibly appealing to me, VS being the unofficial 3rd Gym expansion with some sweet artwork.
Neo overall beautifully styled cards, Clean looking with a really mature art style example; Neo Rev dog trio, neo Discov Kabutops, and the elusive shining cards in destiny.
Rocket Return’s, lots of black, the coolest color, everyone knows it, add some silver to it (Ex cards) and boom you got a match made in heaven, add some really vibrant colors to finish it off with some menacing 3d-esque artwork with beautiful stylized backgrounds example; Suicune Scizor Entei Moltres and you absolutely can’t go wrong.

But i like most sets really, although Base Set kinda bores me aside from the zard.

2 Likes
  1. Base English of course.
  2. Pikachu World Collection.
4 Likes

Base set/fossil/jungle nostalgia

1 Like

Jungle/base/gym challenge/team rocket/fossil

1. Base Set.
  2. Neo Genesis (i like to call it Gold and Silver base set, so sugimori-esque)
2 Likes

Neo Genesis without a doubt. The overall artwork is so astonishing and most of the cards remind you of first steps taken in Gold/Silver/Crystal games ( Cleffa/Clefairy chilling in house looking like Day Care place, Miltank running in the fields of Moomoo Farm etc. ). Simply the most memorable set for me.

Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge and EX Deoxys are also great contenders for this title. :blush:

3 Likes

Are you me? These are my favorite three sets as well (although I’d order them reversed of that), with EX Legend Maker as a close fourth. :grin:

But since I’ve continued the Set of Fortnight series I realized there isn’t any bad set at all. There are SO MANY incredible and amazing artworks and sets.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I love ex-series sets the most, I think ex Emerald, Unseen Forces and Delta Species are taking the top spots for me :blush: All of those 3 sets have beautiful and unique cards with great artwork. Ex Team Rocket Returns is up there for me too.

For some reason, I like DP Majestic Dawn as well. I’m not sure what is it on it that attracts me that much but I have to say the set is full of pretty holo cards. The legendary birds + Dialga & Palkia especially :blush:

And of course you can’t beat old WOTC stuff for nostalgia reasons.

Edit: Someone mentioned Ex Dragon, that belongs to my favorite sets too! Can’t believe I forgot!

Ex Deoxys for sure.

3 Likes

EX Dragon Frontiers. Can’t beat a set almost entirely of Delta Species cards with ridiculously good artwork. I love the whole Delta Species TCG arc and Dragon Frontiers was the best set with them imo. Throw in the amazing gold star cards and I honestly don’t know what more you would want from a set.

1 Like

The Neo era for sure, especially Neo Genesis and Neo Revelations. This doesn’t mean I don’t love Team Rocket, Jungle and the Gym series but I feel like the Neo era added a lot of mystery for me. A lot of them came out when Pokemon was losing popularity (at least in Puerto Rico) so it wasn’t till years later that I saw the cards that I was missing from each set.

EDIT: we couldn’t just google every card back then lol

1 Like

Neo Revelation, Skyridge, and EX Dragon in that order

1 Like

Ex team rocket returns closely followed by vs set.

3 Likes

I only ordered Neo in terms of appreciation friend :wink:, VS is the set i probably spend most time on haha.

It’s a tie between base and fossil. Jungle is a close second.