Most nostalgic sets for you?

What sets are most nostalgic to you and why?

Do you collect said sets/trying to complete them?

4 Likes

Despite not starting collecting during that era, e-Card era expansions are the most nostalgic for me … Especially Skyridge :us: /E4 Split Earth-E5 Mysterious Mountains :jp: … I don’t know why exactly. It might be because of their artwork which look full of life or for their connection with e-Reader :thinking:
Anyways … e-Card era is interesting and nostalgic for me …

5 Likes

Is it too obvious to say base set? Yes? Ok, I said it. Base set.

Other than that, I would say for me it is Aquapolis; I took a long break from the hobby and when I came back I fell back in love with the artwork and the e-reader card layout. Good condition copies are fairly easy to come by and seeing them all together is a joy!

6 Likes

Jungle.

I remember when it came out, I was flipping through my binder with the neighbor kid while visiting my grandma’s house. We were both comparing all of the Jungle cards we had already collected. It’s a memory I’ll never forget.

9 Likes

Base Set Diamond & Pearl, the Palkia and Dialga holos are so nostalgic to me even though the art isn’t great

3 Likes

Some beautiful artwork in the Jungle set.

1 Like

Team Rocket.

I had collected since the Base Set but it wasn’t until the Team Rocket set that I started to actually think more seriously about collecting. I also have fond memories of trading with my friend for his Dark Raichu (which I still have).

After this Base/Jungle/Fossil are a tied for second place in terms of nostalgia.

6 Likes

The HeartGold & SoulSilver sets as that’s where I started collecting. I have bought some packs of them in 2020 and then more of Unleashed specifically (as that was the set of my first card & booster pack) in 2021, but not with the intention to complete anything, just to have fun opening a few packs of them every once in a while.

1 Like

I have the most nostalgia for Base Set & Fossil, and then Jungle. The commons and uncommons transport me back immediately.

4 Likes

Neo genesis to expedition. The first sets I opened myself as a kid when I started collecting.

This is one of the most nostalgic cards ever for me.

2 Likes

I’d have to say Team Rocket, all of Neo and the early ex era from R&S to ex Deoxys. Most of what I collected was from the beginning until around 2006. Even though I started with base set, pretty much everything after base set I am more fond of for whatever reason haha. Also I started early with Japanese so old back JP holos I have a deep connection with.

2 Likes

All of Neo for me. I have the most memories of excitedly cracking booster boxes of this era during Christmas and birthdays and much of my remaining childhood collection consists of these sets!

1 Like

Definitely the old Gym sets, love the art in them.

3 Likes

8 Likes

EX Ruby and Sapphire would be mine, I bought so many packs back then! Following that would be Sandstorm, though technically I would count them together since it’s back to back.

Somehow even though base set to team rocket were part of my childhood, it just hits different when you buy packs yourself yknow?

2 Likes

Base, Jungle, Fossil, Neo Genesis, Neo Discovery, Expedition, all the early-mid ex sets.

3 Likes

Crystal Guardians, Dragon Frontiers, and Power Keepers. Especially the ladder 2. CG and DF were the current sets when I first really started to get cards and Dragon Frontiers today is my favorite set for a multitude of reasons. Power Keepers was then the first set that was newly released when I was in the game and that feeling of getting the new set for the first time was second to none,

2 Likes

For me it’s going to be early WOTC. Base through Neo. I’ve been slowly building binder sets of all of them. 1st Ed Base has proven to be the most challenging, but also fun.

2 Likes

i know it’s cliche, but base, jungle, and fossil for me. I just think back to seeing them at walmart all of the time every morning when my mom and i would go to walmart before school.

but no, i don’t collect them bc they’re not interesting or exciting for me

2 Likes

Base - Team Rocket.

More so the commons and uncommons, only had a few holos back in the day and never took them out so I spent most my time shuffling through stacks of non holo cards and they’re burned into my brain. Jungle Exeggutor is one of my favourites

2 Likes