What Is Your Favorite WOTC Set?

Apologies, the first thread didn’t include the E Series. Here is the full list!

I’ll try and do polls for every era, and some other topics down the road! :blush:

10 Likes

OG first Ed. for me! Best nostalgia trigger and collection value. I really want to pick something else… but had to stay true haha. Second would have to be Aquapolis.

4 Likes

I am not a huge fan of WOTC but my favorite set would definitely be Skyridge. I like the OG sets a lot and their classic Pokemon nostalgia value is high, but when I was getting back into the hobby I remember seeing cards like Crystal Ho-Oh and some of the holos like Umbreon and Crobat and being blown away by the artwork quality.

9 Likes

I feel like the three E-Series sets at the end of WOTC really appeal to all collectors more than others. Those crystal cards especially. They have the feel of newer cards with separation from traditional WOTC style, but are still considered classic WOTC to those older collectors! Love them.

6 Likes

I’m the first to vote for Base Set 2. As a kid I felt Base Set 2 bought the best bits of the other sets together.

I don’t have much of an experience of many of the sets after that. First edition and Shadowless weren’t really a thing in the UK (at least not that I experienced - my first 1st Edition card was a German Drowsee), so those hold little nostalgic value.

I’d say my top 3 would be Base 2, the WotC Black Star promo set and Jungle.

4 Likes

The Neo sets were the first sets to produce a shared excitement over the future of Pokemon between my sister and I. I still won’t forget all the leaks of all the cards, the promotions, the info that came from Japan at our card shops. Neo Revelation was my favorite of all with Neo Discovery being a close second. Amazing cards, the first Shiny Pokemon ever, and some top tier artwork.

7 Likes

To echo @azulryu here, Neo will always hold a very large special place in my heart due to the significance it placed in my life at the time of its release. I remember being a young kid, really loving pokemon a ton, but the first 3 sets were so overtaken by so many kids that I sort of took a backseat to things and felt less than a lot of the time being i was so young and didnt really have the means to buy any cards myself. But shortly after that, when the hype began to die out a bit and many of the bully-ish kids who collected began to steer away, thats when I felt a huge connection to the game and Pokemon as a whole. Neo released, and it felt like Pokemon was reborn to me, where I could claim a favorite for myself and actually have that emotional type of a bond with the hobby. Ive loved Cyndaquil ever since, and nearly all of Gen two now hits my favorites list, but those sets just really played such a huge role in my life to where Ill always consider the first (genesis) my favorite.

Aside from that, I really enjoy the poll and others resposes here because it gives some insight to what people really love. Expected was the base set 1st edition, but seeing Revelations hit those high numbers is also really cool to see. Would love to see some more polls like this down the road and hear more thoughts on what everyone favors best!

5 Likes

I went Neo Destiny :slight_smile: 2. Skyridge 3. Gym Challenge 4. Team Rocket but honestly I love all the wotc sets so much it’s hard to pick but those sets have some of my favorite cards. And 1st edition of those as well the unlimited is ultimately the same card but at the same time the card feels naked in the cold to me without the 1st edition stamp :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Team Rocket! It was the first set I completed after I got back into collecting.

4 Likes

Base Set no doubt

2 Likes

Anyone who knows me at-all knows that I’m OBSESSED with the Shadowless Base Set!!!

I actually prefer Shadowless Base over 1st Ed. Base - Shadowless Base just has a “cleaner, less cluttered” look compared to 1st Ed. Base. 1st Ed. Stamp just makes that mid-left area look too cluttered for me personally. However, if we’re talking ANY OTHER SET outside of Base Set; I actually prefer 1st Ed. over Unlimited - go figure… LOL

2 Likes

But which variant of Base Set?

Had to give vote to Neo Genesis, my “1st ed. Base set”. :blush:

3 Likes

I have my most vivid and best memories connected to Jungle and Fossil. In the retrospect I like the art and theme of Jungle a bit more, so that’s where my vote goes.

2 Likes

My man! That’s what I love to hear! Thats my true 1st edition base set as well (in my heart at least haha) :blush:

1 Like

I have the most nostalgia with Fossil. I remember the 1st Edition Fossil set had just released. Every Friday was trade night at my local comic book store. The comic book store had gotten 3 boxes of 1st edition fossil and we had to wait in line and were only allowed to buy 2 packs at a time. My mom let us get back into the line 5 times!

I did not pull my favorite card (Gengar) but my parents surprised me for Halloween that year with a lot more packs. I managed to pull Gengar and it has become my all time favorite card/set since.

8 Likes

I feel jimped as Base 2000 or Fossil 2000 isn’t here which are definitely my two favorite sets. Ended up going with just regular fossil as the 1999-2000 Holo Zapdos is what brought me back to the hobby

Mjisaacs

I voted for Neo Discovery out of sympathy, the overlooked middle sibling. The three holo cards by Kimiya Masago, Kabutops, Scizor and Umbreon are some of my favorite artworks, and this guy only did a few illustrations, which makes them kind of unique.

7 Likes

So close between 3 (Aquapolis, Skyridge, and Neo Discovery) for me, but I voted Aquapolis. I wouldn’t say it’s definitively my favourite but after looking through the sets again it does have the highest quantity of cards that I really like. I think it has the best ever Houndoom (join with Neo rev), Tyranitar and Steelix holos. The Umbreon, Espeon, Arcanine and Lugia are also beautiful.

1 Like

Anyone who knows me knows I will say Base Set (1st edition). My first ever introduction to Pokemon wasn’t through the video games or the anime but through the English base set cards. I remember the first time I saw them in early 1999, a kid in my 5th grade class brought some to school. I remember his holographic base set Raichu standing out for me. After that, Pokemon fever accelerated quickly.

For a period of several months, Base Set was the only thing around. And as much as I enjoyed Jungle and Fossil as well, my most nostalgic and whimsical memories will always be tied to that earliest period when it was just Base Set.

Incidentally, growing up *most* of my Base Set cards were Shadowless, but I had no 1st editions. But I did know about 1st editions because of the Internet and it was the stuff of legends for me. I imagined what it would be like to own a 1st edition Base Set Charizard. The only time I actually saw one as a kid was when one was being offered for sale at my local comic book store. I believe the asking price was $150, which of course seemed crazy.

I stopped collecting Pokemon cards as a kid during the English Team Rocket run, but I also had a bunch of Japanese Gym 1, Gym 2, and Neo Genesis cards as well. I have a specific memory of getting a Japanese Erika’s Vileplume and thinking it was a weird looking Venusaur. I also remember thinking the Japanese Lugia was awesome. But I never even saw what Neo Revelations, Discovery, Destiny, and the e-Series cards looked like until many years later.

Having said that, I think the Neo sets are great. The e-Series I don’t think I like quite as much, but they still have some very interesting artwork and I would appreciate these cards in a binder collection.

2 Likes