Rank the WOTC sets by legacy

Don’t rank them by which is your favorite (otherwise this list would look very different for me), but by which ones you think have the most significant legacy.

My list:

1. Base Set - I’m just including 1st Edition/Shadowless/Unlimited all in one. This one is obvious. I don’t think you’ll find a kid who grew up in the '90s who didn’t own Base Set cards at some point. This is also the set that cross-collectors go after. And, most importantly, it was the first set in the hobby. Ironically enough, it probably had some of the weakest artwork, but there is no doubt Base Set tops the list.

2. Neo Destiny - Pokemon was on its way downhill at the time, but now it seems like people seek out complete Neo Destiny sets more than any other non-Base Set set. Beautiful artwork. Eight Shining cards. The first and only set to feature Light Pokemon. The last WOTC set (key word: WOTC) to feature Dark Pokemon. The last WOTC set to have the original card template. This one has it all.

3. Jungle - I think a legitimate argument can be made for Jungle getting the No. 2 spot. Rookie cards for the Eeveelutions and Snorlax, different-looking artwork and a continuation of the original 150 (why wasn’t Mew included in English Fossil again?) Pokemon. Carries an incredible nostalgia factor.

4. Fossil - Fossil always seemed like an extension of Jungle to me with the similar knockout artwork from Himeno. What gives Fossil a serious argument over Jungle, however, is that Dragonite was the most popular card from both sets. Outside of the 1st Edition Base Set holos, this is probably the most popular set card in the hobby. Also, significant rookie cards for Articuno, Moltres, Gengar, etc., and this set completed the original 150 (again, where the heck was Mew, English?)

5. Skyridge - No one cared about this set when it was released in 2003. I’m also pretty sure no one cared about it until the boom of 2016. But now, Skyridge is viewed very differently. The price of sealed product from this set has soared to insane levels, and it was the last WOTC set ever printed. Incredible artwork helps its case. Some would probably argue it should be higher on this list.

6. Neo Genesis - The introduction to the Gen. 2 Pokemon. I have always kind of considered this the “Base Set” of the Gold/Silver era, because a lot of the artwork is just Sugimori stock art plopped on to a bland background. To me, this set has, by far, the weakest artwork of the Neo era, particularly for the holos. Still, it was the first Gen. 2 set, and it has the Typhlosion 17 and rookie Lugia, which are easily two of the most sought-after set cards in the hobby.

7. Neo Revelation - Neo Destiny may have popularized Shining cards, but Neo Revelation introduced them, and I like the artworks for Shining Gyarados and Shining Magikarp significantly more than most of the Neo Destiny Shinings (save for Shining Raichu). This is probably one of my top-three favorite sets as a whole for Houndoom alone.

8. Team Rocket - Probably the most affordable WOTC set, right? There’s a reason for that: a lot of people weren’t/aren’t huge fans of it. I personally love it. It was the last WOTC set I collected as a kid before Pokemon cards fell out of favor with me, and it has some incredible artwork. Plus, it was the introduction to Dark Pokemon. However, there is no doubting that this is low on the totem pole of WOTC sets, which is probably because a.) it was the first set that didn’t have rookie cards, and b.) most of the holos featured species of unpopular Pokemon (Vileplume, Magneton, Slowbro, Arbok, Weezing, Hypno, etc.). Not even Dark Charizard could save it from that.

9. Neo Discovery - The red-headed stepchild of the Neo era, which is a shame because it’s actually probably my favorite Neo set. I actually think Neo Discovery may have had the best artwork in the history of the hobby. Not even just the holos; I’m talking about the non-holos. We are talking about phenomenal art here. Also had Espeon and Umbreon’s rookie cards. Still, because Neo Discovery wasn’t the first Neo set and didn’t have any Shining cards, it’s kind of caught in no-man’s land and is almost certainly the least desirable of the Neo sets from a collector’s standpoint.

10. Gym Challenge - To me, the Gym sets were actually the lowest point of the WOTC era from a creativity standpoint, and I know a lot of other people agree. I was never a fan of the whole “X’s Pokemon” thing. Dark Pokemon were even weird at first, but I feel like having a person’s name in front of the Pokemon took that to another level. But this set does have Blaine’s Charizard (which may very well be my least favorite WOTC Charizard card), Blaine’s Arcanine and Erika’s Venusaur, so that gives it some staying power.

11. Gym Heroes - This might be the only WOTC set where there isn’t a standout card. Is it Blaine’s Moltres? Sabrina’s Gengar? Erika’s Dragonair (which isn’t even a fully-evolved Pokemon)? This is just a really weak set, both from a collector’s point of view and from just looking at the species and artwork.

12. Aquapolis - It was tough deciding between Aquapolis and Expedition for this spot, but Aquapolis takes the cake because it introduced Crystal cards. This is actually probably my favorite eSeries set, as the artwork is simply beautiful. But yeah. It will never be Skyridge, because it wasn’t the last WOTC set, and a whole lot of people did not like the eSeries.

13. Expedition - The introduction to the eSeries. It’s probably the most polarizing set in the WOTC era for that reason, as it represented a drastic shift in card style and template. I personally love the artwork here, but for most people, Expedition is forgettable, which is why some of these cards are absurdly cheap.

14. Legendary Collection - Yeah, the reverse holos are cool and unique, but let’s be honest: this is basically Base Set 3, and I think most people would agree regardless of the exorbitant price of sealed product.

15. Base Set 2 - Need I say more?

4 Likes
  1. Base set
    2.-13. Irrelevant
  2. LC
  3. Base 2
  1. Base Set
    2.Jungle & Fossil
  2. e-series
  3. Everything else besides Base 2
  4. Base 2
1 Like

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for everything you said. I also agree on order for the most part. And when you talked about gym Hero’s what’s the best card. Good question on that I was a little bit thrown off at first with Erika’s Dragonair being one of the highest cards in the set. And as far as Expedition this should be slightly higher. Amazing artwork. And you sure was right about cheap price and it being over looked

It definitely has amazing artwork and I love the set, but most collectors just don’t care all that much about Expedition, which is probably the least popular eSeries set (and eSeries isn’t really all that popular to begin with).

1 Like

eSeries lacks the original WOTC card layout nostalgia

1 Like

Yep. It actually feels more like an extension of WOTC than a WOTC product itself.

I actually love it, but it’s always going to be toward the bottom of most collector’s lists. The only reason why Skyridge is so popular is because of the lore factor of it being the last WOTC set.

1 Like

ehhh I think the eseries is popular because they got really creative/showed a lot of freedom with the artwork

but yeah skyridge’s sealed pricing is definitely because of print run/being last wotc set

1 Like

Don’t forget that eSeries in English also lacked the 1st edition stamps

1 Like

True, out of all the wotc sets they’re unique since you only have one option in english. Honestly I like it because outside of base set, 1st edition stamps just seemed meh to me

1. Base
  2. Jungle
  3. Fossi
  4. Neo Genesis
  5. Team Rocket
  6. Black Star Promos!!!

Did any of the others really leave much of a legacy? Realistically, I remember the launch of these sets. The others not so much. While there might be an argument for both Gym sets, the other sets are kind of a blur for me. I feel like the Neo sets, the reprint sets, and the E-Series were things that we started collecting as adults as a way to catch up on what we feel like we missed out on.
One set not mentioned yet is the Black Star Promo set. While not distributed in booster packs, this set was extremely intriguing to me as a kid. I feel like it’s a set that many of us hold in high regard when thinking back to the WOTC days.

Neo Destiny absolutely, positively did, at the very least. I agree that most people probably didn’t collect the Neo sets as kids (I feel like most people stopped around Rocket or the Gym sets), but now that we are 20+ years in, there’s no denying the impact Neo Destiny has had on the hobby. A legitimate argument can be made that it is the most sought-after set outside of Base Set.

2 Likes

It’s still pretty niche, though. There are still a lot of people who don’t like the card template for the eSeries.

Ya for the most part almost all of us fell into that category. We collected up until Team Rocket or so then started go grow up and stopped collecting. I’m loving collecting what I didn’t have as a kid though. Also Neo Destiny is probably my favorite set. I love all the Holo’s and the Shinings and last set to have 1st editions as far as English. Also side note. Why didn’t E series have first edition? It was still WOTC and i know they stopped making first editions but why did they cut off while WOTC was still printing? And why does other languages still have first editions or had them longer in later sets? Sorry to get off topic I just never really got a full understanding

1 Like

Given how scarce the eSeries sets are as it is, 1st Edition stamps may have been a game-changer. Still not sure they ever would have established the same type of legacy as the peak WOTC sets, but it definitely would have made putting together complete sets even more of a challenge (and it’s already not that easy because some of that stuff is really hard to find in raw NM condition).

1 Like

All I know is Japanese got the 1st Edition stamps for the eSeries. Not sure exactly why that happened. I know WOTC already had one foot out the door at that point. I’m sure someone here knows more about the situation.

Thank you ya I’ve done a few searches but it just says what sets had it and doesn’t explain the why too much. And 1st edition on Aquapolis and Skyridge and even poor Expedition definitely would have been a game changer!!! And you said hard to find mint condition. It’s also hard to find even decent binder cards that aren’t creased or damaged of some of the cards. Gengar being one of them from Skyridge. Also 1st editionUmbreon from Neo Discovery was almost impossible to find not damaged. Took me about a solid month to finally find a good mint one! And 1st edition Shining Charizard also took a month plus. There were more Shining Charizards when I was searching but almost all were going for over 1k and was looking for best possible deal. I ended up finding a real good but not mint one for $700. I usually buy on a somewhat budget because selling isn’t ever in my plans unless it’s when I’m about dead and in which case the amount they sell for won’t matter as much to me

2 Likes

How dare OP put Neo Genesis so low. Blasphemy I tell ya.

2 Likes

If the e series sets actually had 1st edition print runs then I bet that unlimited e series cards would be more rare, just as is the case with many Japanese sets.

Neo Genesis should definitely be towards the top, way ahead of Neo destiny in my opinion. Back in the day it had the greatest impact, a positive one mind you, on the TCG gameplay of any of the original expansions. It also did an amazing job in introducing gen 2 pokemon, as well as dark and metal types. In my area people were extremely excited for this set and it made the TCG fun again, while at the time Neo Destiny came out, Pokemon was dead.

Considering people pay more for 1st Edition Japanese cards that are significantly more common than their unlimited counterparts, I’m sure a 1st Edition stamp would be more desirable than no 1st Edition stamp to a lot of collectors.

1 Like