WOTC Sets Tier List

The ex Era Tier list was a ton of fun for me so I wanted to continue it with another era. I was unsure whether or not to split up gen 1 or gen 2 but only ranking 7 or 8 sets doesnt seem as fun so I grouped them together.

PLEASE use ALL 6 of your tiers and ideally no more, I feel it keeps the results more accurate. F tier does not mean a bad set (unless you want it to), it just means the weakest set compared to the rest of sets in this era. And as with the ex era tier list, I will do an average tier list based on everyoneā€™s tier lists and a bunch of fun facts and tidbits about the results. Here is the ex tier list incase you missed it to see what Iā€™m talking about (Results post near the bottom).

With all that out of the way, here is my tier list:

Make your own tier list:

8 Likes

My picks have are heavily weighted on overall art, iconic cards, and strength of trainer cards as well. Some personal preference mixed in and a disdain for reprint sets :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

These tier lists are fun! Keep it going @wooltchi

2 Likes

3 Likes

iā€™m probably being too generous on some of these, but i wanted to try to use at least most of the tiers. from my perspective, the tcg didnā€™t really start getting ā€œgoodā€ until neo era and even then, it was a slow climb.

neo destinyā€™s light and dark mons are interesting and have a ton of great/unique feeling artworks like dark espeon and light jolteon. neo rev has quite a few good cards in it as well, but not as many. discovery has less. genesis has even less (and so on down the list for pre-e-reader).

skyridge is caried by celebi and golem tbh, otherwise itā€™d go with aquapolis and expedition as b which is to say theyā€™re ok sets. these are judged harsher bc they came after Vs which is far superior imo. while e-reader is an improvement over what came before it, the sets still arenā€™t as good as Vs or ex era for me. theyā€™re mostly too top heavy, with only a few cards that iā€™d even want to own.

no offense to what base set represents, but it is the least impressive set from the era considering it has the most limited art style. legendary collection and base2 are higher bc they feature cards from sets that have more diversity.

2 Likes

Most of the WOTC sets do not speak to me a ton, but there are still some great sets in here. The crystals and holo cards in Skyridge are incredible. Thereā€™s amazing continuity through the non-holos as well. An easy S tier set for me, if I could put it a tier above S I would. Base Set is in S mainly because it is so iconic. While Iā€™m not a huge fan of all of the artworks and objectively it is not as compelling as other sets, the nostalgia for the cards is off the charts. Canā€™t have the others without Base Set.

The Neo sets with shinings are great, the non-shining sets are pretty ok. Not a lot of great non-holos here either. Gym sets are cool but still middle of the road in my opinion.

Jungle is frankly boring to me. I think the only card I really like in the set is the Flareon holo. Legendary Collection and Base Set 2 are ctrl + c, ctrl +v of Base, but without any of the freshness and nostalgia. At least Legendary Collection adds something, but itā€™s not much.

5 Likes

I tried to rank it based on a combination of the art, set cohesion & inclusion of popular PokƩmon.

Aquapolis and Skyridge are the least nostalgic of the WoTC sets for me because of how difficult the packs were to find locally at the time, but the quality of the art & set identity across the board is another level from pretty much anything else the early years gave us.

Expedition ranked so high for the sheer number of popular PokĆ©mon included in the set, with almost all sporting amazing artworkā€¦it was just the cohesion missing from that one. TR has set identity in spades, with a spectrum of art quality; while Neo Rev has the best Shining (Gyarados) & most of the Gen 2 legends (with amazing extra holo variants). Neo Destiny probably doesnā€™t need any explanation.

Hear me out on Fossil being A-Tier though. This was the set that I feel had the first true inkling of set identity, with all of the fossil PokƩmon, legendary birds & Dragonite (and Mew in Japanese) feeding into that theme of ancient PokƩmon species. Besides those, the set also featured the first Gengar, so popular species selection was pretty stacked for Fossil!

Everything else is varying levels of good/great, with Legendary Collection only trumping BS2 due to those beautifully eye-searing reverse holos.

2 Likes

i love this Tier List trend, itā€™s truly stimulating.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Ok Wooltchi Iā€™m fully on board this ship now, captain.

Iā€™m going to be objective here. This is the og era, it deserves nothing but respect.

One of the most important ones to talk about is base. Iā€™ve been saying this for years on the forum, but every time someone criticizes the sugi stock art and the plainness of it just be reminded it was the first set. The OG. The first time pokemon would be featured. This was a necessity to have this even to the point that non sugi cards were still beautifully simple and not overly done. This was to give all of us a great first look at them, to be acquainted. Iā€™ve compared it to their first time roster shots. This does not take away from the set and itā€™s impact and quality. That said, we still have a ton of Kinebuchi masterpieces (diglett, gastly, magnemite, voltorb) including the insane trainer list that to this day ranks among the best trainers ever, and we have Arita coming out really strong with many jaw droppers that I still find to be unbeaten even from him (dragonair, abra, starters, machop, rattata). Imakuni made his presence known with one of the greatest cards of all time, Porygon. This set will forever deserve its place as iconic and beloved. When you compare its art objectively to its latter releases without considering it being the first and its intention and all the above additionally, you arenā€™t doing it right. Lastly, they have shadowless, a unique pillar, language exclusive, featured the best card palette to this day. Something that they never, ever should have discarded, akin to mtgā€™s alpha beta card quality.

Jungle and Fossil serve a similar purpose, being that they will continue to be the final introducers for the cards as a whole and for gen 1. Jungle is the intro for Himeno, and she brought to the table the idea to be introductory but also artistically masterful. The set is vividly colorful, would be the first to make a theme and introduce pokemon that way as a first time way of adding lore and environments to them that would be definitive and game changing.

I think we can all say the same thing for Fossil but by this time all but a few had been introduced and we were ready for evolution. It would just be a tad weaker, while still amazing. Now, granted, Kinebuchiā€™s Ditto is in this set, as well as Himenoā€™s Slowbro, easily some of the best artwork of all time, so considering the colossal stature of some of the singles, it still has to be ranked well even if it was the final chapter and so not as original or striking.

Rocket is god tier. An explosion of creativity, theme, dark concepts, unbelievable artworkā€¦ this is where Pokemon would take off and never come back down for many years, basically a decade. Rocket is responsible for so much potential realized. I still look at the art and drool, in disbelief over what Iā€™m seeing. They look evil, menacing, captivating. Itā€™s a tie in to the lovers of the games, itā€™s everything.

While Iā€™m personally a massive fan of Gym sets, and they will always be top tier for me nostalgically, they are indeed some of the more middle sets in the era. But they still get points for the themes and tie inā€™s to the trainers, and of course the really popping artworks when they are good. They also have some of the best holos in the era for both sets, and the reason why they still rank high is once again they feature some of the best trainer sets in all of pokemon. Nishida also does wonderful work to help prop up the more underwhelming sugi stock cards, which unlike base, do feel at most times to be the first time we really saw laziness in the tcg. But remember some of the sugiā€™s are incredible nevertheless (Erikaā€™s Ivysaur anybody??) so thatā€™s worth noting as well. Challenge has transparent walls and warp point, and heroes has recall, as well as the Kinebuchi og stadiums. Enough said.

Genesis had to serve a similar purpose to base but with gen 2. It shares some of that iconic vibrance, and was super exciting for everyone. With intros they tried to uphold this value, while they let artists new and old have creative license for the gen 1ā€™s. Neo Gen is awesome for this reason, though it is no longer are the original, and so for the first time the Sugi arrangements will feel a tad tiring even if they are appealing. Trainers for all these sets will maintain perfection. But right after Neo Gen we lose the abundance of stock sugi so the quality immediately ramps up.

Masago pours onto the scene in discovery and that alone sets this set up high. But all the artwork is feeling amazing. Itā€™s themed, itā€™s got S tier holos, and overall better than genesis. The same can be said of Revelation, which introduces shinings (the two best of all time of course), so itā€™s even higher. Also Masago Ho-Oh everyone (applause noise can be heard).

Destiny is already a perfect set without the shinings. That was just that extra gift they gave us to blow our minds. Thatā€™s right, S tier without the shinings, so even if youā€™re a shining hater you must consider S tier art abound and across. But the shinings are original, different, and unique to this day. Perfect set.

E series is the peak of pokemon. The 3 best sets of all time you could easily argue if this is based off artwork alone. Though the list involves more than just that, this still easily places them in S tier. While I love aquapolis the most, Iā€™d have to say Skyridge is equal in all categories, so really they are tied. You could easily interchange them.

Base 2 did nothing for the tcg. You could simply reprint its original sets more. Iā€™m sad it exists. As a kid finding nothing but base 2 packs on a retail shelf was as disappointing as getting socks for christmas.

LC is another reprint, but this time it gave a few holo exclusives and gave galaxy holo to a few cards never give that treatment. That is fun for collectors. But you know what is more fun? Those amazing reverse holos, a set in its own right. Without those, this set is D tier. But it has the above, so its considerably better, and very worth existing as a set.

There are no D tiers, it was all very good or better with only the fail that was base 2. Even Bā€™s are amazing sets. They are B+ and only fall in that category because as Iā€™ve prosed before, they stand next to giants.

5 Likes

the top sets are top sets for most, so I wont explain my thought process there.
For neo destiny though, I feel like this would have been an s tier set if it did not include the shinings. They are just very underwhelming compared to the rest of the set, apart from shining kabutops.

Base is only this high because of how iconic it is. Base is what started it all, which bumps it 2 spots. Neo discovery is a middle of the line set, not great such as the last neo sets. But there are some nice cards in there.

the gym sets have some nice cards, I really enjoy blaineā€™s moltres, that card is so majestic, but overall they do not have really nice arts.
Jungle and fossil are really alike, nothing great about them. Neo genesis is such a garbage set, I dont think there is a single nice artwork in neo genesis, even chinchou (a pokemon I really like) has bad art in this set.

Legendary collection and base 2 are not copy paste sets for me. The addition of cosmos holo for base 2 is what makes this set better than base for me. I dont really like the firework foil for legendary collection, so that makes legendary collection having nothing special for me.
I think my opinion for base and their reprints is less based on nostalgia, since I dont have any for this era.

2 Likes

Neo Genesis has no good arts ?

Slowking, Togepi, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile ???

1 Like

exactly, you just proved my point.

But jokes aside, yea I dont like those arts. Slowking is in the top 5 of the set though

Neo Revelation just gives me so much nostalgia and is also the reason why I still collect today. Also Red Gyarados.

I absolutely loved the Team Rocket set as it is when my card shop started importing Japanese packs and related materials. I also loved how dark and broody the theme was and found it a much more contrasting theme from previous sets. The Japanese holos were gorgeous.

Shoutout the two Gym series too as they had some wonderfullu varied arts and made me nostalgic of the video games.

Everything below I either had limited experience with or didnā€™t open packs of. I did open Jungle and Fossil packs but felt underwhelmed by a lot of the art with a couple of obvious exceptions like Scyther and Flareon.

Base Set 2 was such a let down for me as a kid since it didnā€™t really add anything to what we already saw. At least with the Legendary Collections, you can hope to get a fantastic rare.

3 Likes

S Tier

Skyridge is my favourite set of all time and as close as a Pokemon TCG set can get to perfection. You have fantastic artwork that is both creatively diverse and themed well, great selection of Pokemon and tons of chase cards both in the regular holos and Crystals. What really puts Skyridge over the top though is its attention to detail with environmental storytelling (which still manages to be quite cohesive despite being composed of two separate JP sets).

Base Set (specifically 1st Edition) needs no introduction. Without it there would be no Pokemon TCG, no E4, no r/pokeinvesting (I could live without this last one). Itā€™s such a defining, memorable set and despite many of us getting sick of all the reprints, it is always going to hold a timeless place in Pokemon history and many of our childhoods.

A Tier

These are all incredible sets with amazing theming, artwork and hits. The Neo era as a whole is extremely strong in terms of their ties to the original games, which also coincided with the background art gradually encompassing more recognizable locales from Johto. Destiny would be the strongest one for me, due to the unique ā€˜Darkā€™ Pokemon and Shinings followed by Revelation for its selection of Legendary Pokemon. Genesis does feature more ā€œstaticā€ artwork but still has plenty of iconic Pokemon from its generation such as the starters and Lugia.

Team Rocket was also notable for being the first set in the TCG to really experiment with a different direction to the artwork - that being the villain groupā€™s ā€˜darkā€™ Pokemon. At the time it was a completely new and exciting direction for Pokemon that we had never seen before, and it certainly stood out and made a lasting impression!

B Tier

Expedition is honestly kind of an underrated set. It has a better Pokemon selection than Aquapolis (Starters, pseudo-legends, Mew/Mewtwo etc.) but lacks key set cohesion that many sets around its era had, meaning thereā€™s no strong theme tying the diverse styles of artwork together. Itā€™s more or less a (very cool) hodgepodge of great Pokemon thrown together.

Aquapolis shares a lot of the same strengths as Skyridge but also some of the weakness that Expedition had. Its highs are absolutely incredible with a selection of Pokemon themed to the serene backdrop of a Venice-esque locale and a solid selection of chase cards between the regular holos and Crystals. However, the corresponding JP sets that it pulled from donā€™t mesh as well as Skyridgeā€™s, so the set ends up feeling rather disjointed in a similar way that Expedition did.

Jungle had an incredibly tough act to follow up from but still has a strong selection of Pokemon and artwork. The theming isnā€™t as prominent as latter sets but you could tell an effort was made to try and tie the Pokemon featured together in some way (most of them live in literal jungle/forest environments).

C Tier

Neo Discovery is by far the weakest Neo set in my mind. Outside of the debut of Umbreon and Espeon the Pokemon selection is either extremely weak or the art doesnā€™t do justice to the Pokemon being depicted (Houndoom, Tyranitar).

Fossil is similar to Jungle in its approach but the Pokemon selection isnā€™t nearly as enticing (Eevees > Legendary birds). Himenoā€™s Dragonite is absolutely gorgeous though and one of the most iconic cards of the first era of the TCG.

Gym Challenge is the better of the two Gym sets due to Pokemon selection, but you can tell it was a ā€˜fillerā€™ set until Neo due to the abundance of stock Sugimori art. There was an excuse in Base set but not really one here.

D Tier

I actually really like the ā€˜fireworksā€™ reverse holos and think theyā€™re an awesome way of honouring your favourite Gen 1 Pokemon. That said, thereā€™s no denying this was a reprint/filler set.

Gym Heroes is Gym Challenge with a much weaker Pokemon selection and the same 90% stock Sugimori art filler. Even kids on the playground knew it was lame back then.

F Tier

If you ever got a pack of Base Set 2 cards as a kid it probably meant your parents didnā€™t love you.

2 Likes

These tier lists have been a lot of fun, thanks. This one was very hard, amazing sets with loads of nostalgia.

1 Like

Eloquent as usual, it does my heart good to read this. It really did feel like soft packages, just like Topps felt like a hard package with someone elseā€™s name on it. :poop:

1 Like

Sorry, I donā€™t like the e-reader borders :man_shrugging:

1 Like

1 Like

I said what I said

1 Like

This was harder than the ex set tier list. Nostalgia and chase quality start at different places :joy: . While Iā€™m most nostalgic towards early gen 1 sets, the chase cards and art get much better by the neo and e series era. That being said, Iā€™m not super nostalgic for those sets, so I donā€™t rank them as highly compared to Fossil or Base Set.

3 Likes