Rank the WOTC sets by legacy

Poor Base 2, I actually quite like the set

I like that it reprinted the entire original base set (minus Machamp), as well as some Jungle cards, in the new “cosmos” holo, which would be the new standard for many, many sets to come.

This aspect for me alone puts it above “just a reprint” in terms of quality. It’s a bit like a 4k/60fps release on the PS4 of a classic, well loved PS3 game that ran in 720p/30fps. But at the end of the day, I guess being a reprint will definitely hold it back.

It could have also been better had it been a “best of” of the original 3 sets, and not skip Fossil. Including fan favorite likes the Eeveelutions and Snorlax from Jungle, Dragonite/Gengar/the birds/maybe others from Fossil, and leaving out some less exciting Pokemon of Base like Clefairy/Magneton/etc.

End of day, Base 2 has its own special place in my collection and I try to appreciate it for what it is.

2 Likes

Definitely agree that Pokemon was dead by the time Neo Destiny came out, but this thread isn’t necessarily about which sets made the most impact when they were first released; it’s about how they have impacted the hobby as a whole over the two-plus decades that the TCG has been around, and I would say Neo Destiny is definitely a more desirable set than Neo Genesis at this point.

Obviously everything here is entirely subjective, but I personally just don’t see the argument for Neo Genesis over Base Set (obviously), Neo Destiny, Jungle or Fossil.

But this is exactly why I created this thread. Should hopefully generate some great discussion.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen of Base 2 is that they have more impressive swirls and orbies than Base holos so I appreciate them for that.

1 Like

I just wish they used the opportunity to make base set 2 with alternative artworks evolutions makes more sense to me than base set 2… why did they do a reprint so soon. Theres probably a very good reason but still what a golden opportunity for another unique set

2 Likes