Favourite Set From Each Era?

I’ve only been back in the hobby since COVID and as I hunker down to start doing some set collecting, I am noticing there are so many great cards and sets to choose from! I am currently in a position that requires me to be pretty selective about what I buy, so I wanted to hear some opinions about people’s favourite sets!

WotC - I honestly can’t believe I’m saying this bc I used to think Gyms were kinda underwhelming, but probably Challenge from the Darkness. Basically, the English Gyms distributed the cards a bit differently, which I have to assume was because JP Challenge was off the fucking rails in terms of heavy hitters lmao.

ex - I thought this would be harder than it was, but I have to say TRR. That set as a whole is fantastic and the chase cards are :face_with_spiral_eyes: I didn’t open much as a kid, but clearly I was missing out. TRR is incredibly robust with ex hits (2 beasts, 3 birds, Snorlax + Mewtwo?!?! AND THEN GOLD STARS?!?), the dark Pokemon with dual types are amazing, the holos are insane and the C/U are beautiful too. the only real competition TRR has is Unseen Forces and Dragon imo, and even then, it’s not rly competition, it’s a comfortable second place.

DP - I don’t really have strong opinions on this, but probably Secret Wonders if I had to pick. Supreme Victors was cool too & I don’t really know enough about HGSS to say lol.

BW - This is the era where I originally stopped collecting and I haven’t gone back through it, so I have no idea. If I had to say, it’d probably be Legendary Treasures or one of the Plasma sets.

XY - Ancient Origins all day. This is the set that got me back into Pokemon originally. I pulled pretty well every single card out of that set from ripping packs; I still remember finally pulling the FA Lugia out of a three-pack blister on my bedroom floor, my friend and I lost it lol. 16 year old me was going off with that McDonald’s paycheck. I stopped buying cards after Steam Siege (I wish I was joking, this set literally ejected me from the hobby).

SM - This might seem like a cop-out, but it’s gotta be Hidden Fates. I’m not sure if I would be collecting where I am today if not for Hidden Fates. This set was the first time I’d really sunk my teeth into cards in years. I opened a booster box of Burning Shadows when it came out and that’s the only other SM set I’ve opened. I think all of the tag team sets are pretty solid-- Tag Allstars is a contender as well.

SWSH - This is difficult bc a lot of SwSh sets have been really solid. Darkness Ablaze is the set that pulled me in for good, which is apparently considered a pretty lame set lol. I personally think it’s great! My choice for SwSh block would have to be VMAX Climax. Eevee Heroes and Sky Stream are awesome as well and Star Birth looks sweet too, tho i haven’t opened any yet.

I’d love to read some favourite sets + favourite cards from those sets. Also, did a particular set catch your interest and bring you back into the hobby? If so, drop the story in this thread :blush:

2 Likes

WotC:
-Base Set (Charizard, Blastoise and Mewtwo).
-Team Rocket (Dark Charizard, Dark Blastoise and Dark Dragonite).
-Neo Destiny (Dark Crobat, Dark Scizor, Dark Feraligatr, Dark Houndoom, Shining Mewtwo & Shining Tyranitar).

eReader:
-Expedition (Mew, Mewtwo, Feraligatr, Blastoise, Fearow and Dragonite).
-Aquapolis (Tyranitar, Umbreon, Arcanine, Houndoom and Crystal Lugia).
-Skyridge (Gengar, Gyarados, Flareon, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Houndoom, Alakazam, Arcanine, all Crystal cards).

EX:
Oh man where do I begin. My favourite era with so many amazing sets. Here are some of my highlights:

-Team Rocket Returns (Mewtwo EX, Snorlax EX, legendary birds / beasts EX, the first Gold Stars, “Dark” versions of many popular Pokemon).
-Deoxys (Gold Star Rayquaza).
-Unseen Forces (Lugia EX, Feraligatr EX, Feraligatr holo (should’ve been a Gold Star), Celebi EX).
-Holon Phantoms (All 3 Gold Stars are fantastic, many of the regular rare Delta Species variants).
-POP2 (Celebi EX).
-POP5 (Gold Star Umbreon).

Japanese promo cards (so many great cards but hereunder some of my favourites):
-Game Boy Dragonite
-Grand Party
-Poncho Pikachu Charizard
-Skytree Rayquaza
-Nobunaga’s Rayquaza

I am not that into DP, HGSS, XY, SM and SWSH era so no point in listing those. I am sure other members can show some of the big hits.

Do let me know if you like my taste in shiny cardboard :blush:

1 Like

WOTC - Fossil. It’s the first set I remember having cards from
EX - Dragon. The set is awesome and just speaks for itself.
DP - Secret wonders. Don’t care much about this era
Plat - Supreme victors. Same as above, dont care much about this era
HGSS - Call of legends - the shiny legendaries are sick
BW - Next destinies. Played during this set and mewtwo was a bad ass in constructed.
XY - Evolutions. One of the best sets ever hands down.
S&M - Cosmic eclipse. The character secret rares are some of the best cards ever made IMO.
SWSH - Evolving Skies. The alt arts are incredible in this set.

3 Likes

WOTC - Base 2 or Neo Discovery
E series - Skyridge mostly because of the trainers
ex - Legend Maker
DP - I think Secret Wonders has the best DP trainers, but Great Encounters has the best pokemon
Plat - Supreme Victors
HGSS - Triumphant
BW - Dragon Vault (I’m counting it)
XY - I really like base XY lol
SM - Cosmic Eclipse #1 of course, and all the ultra beast sets are tied for second (Crimson Invasion, Celestial Storm, Lost Thunder, Forbidden Light, Ultra Prism)
SWSH - I love opening Battle Styles, but Chilling Reign has my queen full art Karen so it’s a toss up

3 Likes

You’ve reminded me of Pop Series ! I really enjoy the Ho-Oh ex from Pop3 (the holo one, I think maybe that version is a promo?), I think it’s a CoroCoro promo (Ichiban!) in Japanese. I have it in my childhood binder and I was very disappointed when I was unable to find a PSA 9 copy lol. For Japanese promo cards I dont even know, there’s too many good ones lol. One that stands out is Rocket’s Mewtwo GB.

1 Like

Pre neo: Rocket
Neo: Neo 4
E series: split earth
ex: clash of the blue sky or rocket gang
gen 4: don’t really care for this era at all
hgss: L2 or L3
BW: Megalo cannon
XY: phantom gate
SM: dream league
SWSH: eevee heroes

4 Likes

1st gen- Base

2nd gen - Neo Genesis

E-reader 2nd gen - Expedition, Aquapolis and Skyridge in that order

E-reader 3rd gen - EX Dragon

Mid EX - Hidden legends (Hoenn lovefest), Deoxys (Holos), Emerald (EX cards) and Unseen Forces (bulk)

EX Delta - Crystal Guardians (non holos) and Holon Phantoms (holos, gold stars and Crawdaunt EX)

4th gen - Stormfront, SL cards and Alph Lithographs

5th gen - Dark Explorers or Dragons Exalted (only care about the Secret Rare shiny cards)

6th gen - Flashfire or Ancient Origins if I have to choose

Ultra modern – (Almost care about Gold cards)

1 Like

English:

WOTC: Neo Destiny
e-Series: Skyridge
EX Series: EX Dragon Frontiers
DP/Platinum: Diamond & Pearl Base
HGSS: Call of Legends
BW: Dark Explorers
XY: Primal Clash
SM: Shining Legends
SWSH: Celebrations

Japanese:
Old Back: Neo 4
e-Reader: Split Earth
ADV: Undone Seal
PCG: Furthest Ends of Offense and Defense
DP: Space-Time Creation
DPt: Beat of the Frontier
HGSS: Clash at the Summit
BW: Dark Rush
XY: Tidal Storm & Gaia Volcano
SM: Tag Team GX All Stars
SWSH: Double Fighter

3 Likes

WOTC- Team Rocket
S&S- Evolving Skies
Everything else- I know nothing about these sets which is why I’m here :grin:

WotC: Skyridge, easy. Holding the cards feels like I’m holding a piece of history, even if the set isn’t the most “historic”. The artwork is unlike anything the TCG has ever offered. Houndoom, Gyarados, and Articuno come to mind but even Pokemon like Girafarig and Natu are done well imo. Of course there’s Gengar, Ursaring, Umbreon…you get the point. The whole set belongs in a museum!

ex: Legend Maker. The cards are simple and to the point - nothing over the top but nothing too crazy either. Its a very refined set, and the stamp symbol is top notch. IMO the only other stamps that compare are ex TRR and ex Holon Phantoms, but I digress. Legend Maker has some beautiful cards like Growlithe, Aron, Omanyte, even Magneton and Voltorb shine. Kabutops is a personal favorite as well, and of course the gold star Regi trio tops it all off!

DPPt: Stormfront and tbh, Legends Awakened. Stormfront did the starters right, and as a Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir fan, this set treats me good. Legends Awakened usually isn’t spoken about, but DP holos are fantastic and this set is full of holo legendaries…Gliscor, Deoxys, and Giratina all stand out to me - I pulled the latter two back in the day from random vending machine packs, so I’m especially nostalgic for them!

HGSS: Triumphant. Darkrai/Cresselia and Dialga/Palkia Legend cards, with Gengar, Mew, Celebi Prime?? To be honest, all HGSS sets are amazing with a good mix of holos, Primes and respectable Legends combos, but Triumphant is freshest in my memory.

BW: How do I say all of them? Almost all BW sets have strong themes throughout with no filler cards (save for Emerging Powers which was a filler set, and Legendary Treasures which was just supposed to be as epic as possible). If I had to pick favorites: Dark Explorers (the full art set is the best in the era imo with Dragons Exalted close behind) and Plasma Freeze, which puts a lot of effort into world-building and cohesive tones that almost rival that of Skyridge. Almost every card details Pokemon interacting with an iced-over Unova region. Mankey, Grimer, Voltorb, Chinchou, Krokorok, just to name a few. The EX selection could be better imo, but Deoxys, Latias and Latios full arts make up for it and all the secret rare shinies are fantastic.

XY: Surprisingly I don’t really have much to say here, I like Phantom Forces because I like ghost types, and the holos in the set look pretty clean.

SM: Cosmic Eclipse every day of the week. What a way to end an era, it was way ahead of its time with the full art character/Pokemon GX. This set really got me back into the hobby, I remember buying a bunch of packs from my former job back in 2019. The ultra rare selection is phenomenal (I love the Zekrom & Reshiram GXs), the holo cards look nice, alt arts and full arts are clean, and the trainer cards were done right too (Rosa, Guzma & Hala, Cynthia & Caitlyn are my favorites). Of course I can’t forget about character cards either! At the time it felt like the set had too much…and it still does feel that way. But that’s what makes the set so memorable and exciting to me.

SwSh: I’m undecided (but definitely not Vivid Voltage or Rebel Clash) :blush:

4 Likes

wotc: shinings/light/dark, runner-up: neo rev

ex: dark/ex/gold star mons are busted

dp: 1st gen starter holos are sick

bw: all plasma sets are good but this one has lugia, shiny blastoise and shiny charizard

xy: it has the gold mega weather trio secret rares

sun&moon: trainer gallery, rosa, statue ADP. set is massive and loaded

swsh: shining fates had the best opening experience imo. hits after hits

1 Like

OG WOTC: Team Rocket
Neo: Neo Destiny
e-reader: Skyridge
ex: Emerald
DPP: Majestic Dawn, Supreme Victors
BW: Dragon’s Exalted
XY: Primal Clash, Roaring Skies, Ancient Origins
SM: Celestial Storm, Cosmic Eclipse
SWSH: Evolving Skies (and Celebrations if it counts)

5 Likes

WOTC - Neo Destiny (light, dark and shining pokemon. perfection.)

EX - Holon Phantoms (idk, it doesn’t contain my favourite cards, but i just love the pack artwork)

DP - Stormfront (idk, don’t have much love for this era)

Plat - Platinum (secret rare Scyther)

HGSS - Undaunted (pack art, Scizor prime)

BW - Plasma Storm (secret rare Charizard and Blastoise)

XY - Evolutions (no other option here, imo)

S&M - Hidden Fates (best modern set, hands down)

SWSH - Evolving Skies (followed closely by VV, but alt arts beat out amazing rares)

1 Like

WOTC - Skyridge
EX - Sandstorm
DP/Plat/HGSS - HGSS Base
BW - Legendary Treasures
XY - Ancient Origins
S&M - Team Up
SWSH - Evolving Skies

1 Like

English:

WOTC: Neo Genesis
e-Series: Aquapolis
EX Series: TRR
DP/Platinum: Rising Rivals
BW: Legendary Treasures
XY: Evolutions
SM: Hidden Fates
SWSH: Evolving Skies

1 Like

Lots of difficult choices… easily could pick 3 or 4 sets for some of these. If I had to pick 1:

Gen 1: Base set
Neo: Discovery
EX: Delta Species
DPPt:Rising Rivals
BW: Legendary Trasures
SM: Unbroken Bonds
SwSh: Evolving Skies

As a side note, it feels so wrong leaving off sets like Jungle, Fossil, and Aquapolis while picking sets like Unbroken Bonds and Evolving Skies for this list.

Gen 1: Base set
Neo: Genesis
EX: Team Rocket Returns
DPPt: Supreme Victors
BW: Dragons Exalted
SM: Hidden Fates
SwSh: Celebrations

Gen 1 is pretty difficult to pick for tbh. I’d say Team Rocket is a close 2nd, then probably Fossil. Gym sets are really nice too…

OG WOTC: Team Rocket
Neo: Neo Discovery
E Series: Skyridge
EX: Team Rocket Returns
DP: Legends Awakened
Platinum: Arceus
HGSS: base
BW: Legendary Treasures
XY: Primal Clash
SM: Cosmic Eclipse
SWSH: Chilling Reign

I chose the English sets since if I did Japanese sets instead I would have probably end up looking at cards instead of answering lol

1 Like

English:

Early WotC: Neo Discovery
E-Series: Aquapolis
EX Series: Team Rocket Returns (Hidden Legends would be my favorite for competitive playability)
DPPt: Supreme Victors
BW: Dark Explorers
XY: Primal Clash (Ancient Origins is super close, though)
SM: Team Up
SWSH: Battle Styles (Bite me)

Japanese:

Base-Neo Era: Neo 4
E-Series: Town on No Map
ADV: ADV Expansion Pack
PCG: Holon Research Tower
DPPt: Dawn Dash/Beat of the Frontier
HGSS: Reviving Legends
BW: Dark Rush
XY: PokeKyun (Gaia Volcano is close, though)
SM: Double Blaze
SWSH: Peerless Fighters

1 Like

Original; Neo; Legendary Collection (12 sets): in the past I would have said Gym Challenge, but Neo Genesis has really grown on me over the past few years
e-Series (3 sets): Expedition Base Set (although all three are amazing)
EX (16 sets): EX Legend Maker, with EX Emerald as very close second
Diamond & Pearl (7 sets): Great Encounters
Platinum (4 sets): Platinum
HeartGold & SoulSilver; Call of Legends (5 sets): Undaunted
Black & White (12 sets): Legendary Treasures
XY; XY BREAK (15 sets): Double Crisis, my favorite set in general
Sun & Moon (16 sets): Cosmic Eclipse
Sword & Shield (12 sets, and counting): Chilling Reign

[Bonus] Japanese Vending Machine Series (3 sets): Vending Machine Series 2 (Red)

Greetz,
Quuador