What Is Your Favorite EX Nintendo Set? Poll

Agreed! I love the phantom set.

EX Legend Maker. While I collected the cards as a kid, I took a short break until this set was advertised in a Boy Scouts magazine. I didnā€™t know what Organized Play was, (all I knew was that I was competitive), and asked my dad to take me to the Prerelease. I didnā€™t realize just how lucky I was when I pulled a Regirock Gold Star at the event. (I sold this card several years back, unfortunately. Fs in chat for your boy.)

The set is so well designed, from the pack art, to the React Energy theme throughout, to the cards themselves - whatā€™s not to love? I took the Gengar from this set and pioneered my first deck to a Nationals tournament with it back in 2006. All of the memories involved in going to that Prerelease and kickstarting the second ā€œphaseā€ of my PokĆ©mon career are some of my favorite. EX Legend Maker is a big reason why I continue to play the game competitively today.

Anyone got a cheap EX Legend Maker box for sale? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

1.) Holon Phantoms

2a.) EX Deoxys

2b.) EX Team Rocket Returns

2c.) Dragon Frontiers

The delta species cards are amazing. However just look at the sheer amount of amazing pokemon in Unseen Forces, beautiful holos, amazing artwork that is still some of these pokemonā€™s best artwork. This is also one of the sets that is comparable in size to the e-series sets like skyridge and aquapolis.

5 Likes

EX Dragon is the next skyridge. Fight me.

1 Like

Not even close. Iā€™d give Team Rocket Returns, Dragon Frontiers and Unseen Forces as the top 3 sets of the ex series.

1 Like

100% agreed. I absolutely love this suicune artwork, still searching for a 10. If anyone has a 10 up for sale, PM me please, thank you:)

1 Like

were talking about sets. Not which card has one of the most majestic artwork in all of pokemon. :sob:
Cheater

2 Likes

None of those have the same card layout. Iā€™m comparing E series cards.

For those who arenā€™t aware, the e-series doesnā€™t consist of 3 sets. It started with Expedition Base Set and ended with EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua.

1 Like

I agree - Unseen Forces is a beautiful set. Ryo Ueda does some of his best work here also, namely the Celebi ex and Espeon ex. Even though we still have computer-generated art today, Uedaā€™s art paired with the silver foil are on another level entirely.

3 Likes

Unseen cause of the dogs

2 Likes

haha. I never thought about it that way.

Fun fact. if you are shiny soft resetting for the shiny dogs donā€™t worry if they run away. If they are shiny in the initial encounter, then they will be shiny for the follow-on encounters if you saved after that shiny encounter.

I am with ya on that! Great set.

I voted for EX Dragon Frontiers ā€“ itā€™s the last set to ever feature Delta Species, and the concept of a secluded island with runaway delta Pokemon is a pretty cool concept to me. Itā€™s also the first set I ever attempted to collect as a kid. if Iā€™m not mistake, this is the only set to feature Delta species gold stars ā€“ there is something truly gorgeous about the color coordination between the type and palette of the Pokemon.

3 Likes

Crystal guardians is my oldest standing memory of Pokemon cards. This beauty was the first card I have memory of ever seeing. Power keepers is also so special to me. good times, good times :ā€™)

Whatā€™s funny about this ranking is that Unseen forces is the most expensive ex set, but not the most popular. Hell even top 3.

Most expensive? Iā€™m not sure about that. Deoxys has been much more painful for me, at least. The three gold stars alone, in NM condition, are a solid $5k. The rest of the set isnā€™t too bad, but Unseen Forces definitely was much less than that. The exs are expensive, but the holos and reverse holos are super cheap.

On a separate note, I find the early EX Series sets offer a lot more bang for your buck than the later ones. You can put together master sets of Ruby, Sandstorm, Dragon, TMTA, AND Hidden Legends for less than the price of a single NM gold star Rayquaza.

1 Like

I know the gold stars make a huge difference. I was mainly referencing Argentinaā€™s ex buy thread when talking about price.

Hate to go with the majority but you cant beat team rocket, such a nice themed set. Some of the best normal holos on average and definitely the best exā€™s. And the gold stars are pretty nice. Second for me would definitely be unseen forces though.

1 Like