What Grade do you think my Card will Receive? Thread

Do you think it could work if we made a mega-thread where people post photos of cards they are debating on grading, but want others opinions first?

I am debating on whether or not to grade this 1st edition Charizard. I kind of like the idea of a top-loader binder, which has me leaning towards not grading. But on the other hand, I am curious to see if this Charizard card actually has what it takes to be considered Near Mint. I do know it’s hard to judge from photos versus in person. I also know this card is obviously not getting a 10 or a 9.

QUESTION: In your opinion do you think scratches on the front are more critical in determining a grade than whitening on the back?

I think the back of my card is NM 8 material, but the front is EX-MT 6 or NM 7. Opinions? Any Input is greatly appreciated! :sunglasses:

Here are some photos:

FRONT 1FRONT 2FRONT 3FRONT 4

FRONT 5

FRONT 6

FRONT 7

FRONT 8BACK 1

BACK 2

SCAN_FRONT

SCAN_BACK

2 Likes

7-8

Issues
-Scratches to foil
-Silvering on the front
-Edge wear on the back.

Surface and edgewear hold pretty much the same importance.

Unless one needs advice on centering pictures only help some. Based on what I could see I’d say 7/8 but normally there’s a lot you can only see clearly with a loop.

Oh what a good idea for a thread.
I’d also like comments on this Lucario Full Art.

I WILL BE POSTING HERE A LOT c:
I can’t really give much judgment since I am not familiar with grading yet but maybe in the future I will contribute more feedback.

Link to my Lucario: imgur.com/a/Ok4gD

Centering on front and back is good. No surface scratches on holo at the front, which is good.

The back shows edgewear and some nicks in the corners, lowering it to a 8/9. There also appears to be a scratch or a crease at the bottom, which would make it a 6 maybe a 7? Hard to tell with only a few pictures.

It’s possible to get a 5 with a light crease but no 6s or 7s. Usually a PSA 4.

1 Like

PSA doesn’t use a loupe when grading though. do they?

It’s not a crease it’s a little scratch would it still be able to get a 8/9?

imgur.com/a/tN94T

A few more just trying to see if I chose these out properly. I feel like they’d be 8/9’s.

Edit: Oops I should have edited my post above sorry.

Thanks for the responses, if I do decide to grade I will make sure to post the results :blush:

1 Like

I personally would not grade any of those cards. I’d expect grades ranging from 6-8 on all of them, which would not be financially viable if you’re looking to increase the value of your cards through grading.

I have to repeat, pictures are of little use as a tool for pre-grading. In fact, it’s more likely to be counterproductive. I always tell newbies to closely examine cards that are already graded. You can learn a lot that way. I remember buying a bunch of cheaper graded coins to educate myself on coin grading. It really helped.

The plus side for a thread like this is you can have fun with it and there’s nothing wrong with that:)

4 Likes

Great point Gary. A high-quality scan can also help you quite a bit, but pictures don’t capture some of the finer details that PSA will look for. Examining cards that have already been graded helps a ton.

1 Like

People can tally up how accurate they are with their predictions and we can keep standings :wink:

2 Likes

I am not an expert of PSA cards but I think this topic can not work.
Indeed pictures or even HD scans can hardly show some micro-scratches on the non-holographic part of a card, which are visible under certain light incidences.
Even when I ask someone to examine carefully a card (to say if the card is really mint or not), that person rarely sees those micro-scratches, so to see them on a picture or a scan …

Just curious. Who told you that?

I need help with one of my cards that I will send.
What grade do you think it will get?

I think a 9

That might just get the 10 if the gloss is in full effect.

I don’t ever recall being told that, it’s just what I had believed. I do know that I saw a video before of the “grading process”, I think it was from PSA themselves, but I don’t remember seeing loupes used.

My question still stands though. Do they use them?

Could you elaborate on why you’d expect 6-8? That would help me a bit for the future haha