What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

No. My number 1 favorite Pokemon is from Gen 3

2 Likes

I’m feeling regret about my previous post. It was pretty lame of me to criticize Generation 5 without playing the game just because I didn’t like the Pokemon designs.

And some of the newer cards are actually cool, I just personally only collect older cards because I’m old and I like old things like me.

6 Likes

Gen 2 of pokemon (games, tcg sets, creatures) is the best one by far

Some pokemon should be retconned and removed from the media universe (eg: swoobat, garbodor, palossand)

Overpaying terrible to mediocre cards because they are charizards is stupid

English promo are an acquired taste that can give some satisfactions due to some very obscure pieces

Troll and toad is amazing for binders collections and is the number one in the branch hands down

3 Likes

Vulpix and ninetales are Gen 1.

1 Like

I knew I would catch some heat lol. I get your point but…
The difference here is I doubt your average crook could afford a sealed WOTC box. I’m sure they probably could afford a empty one though! The reason most people become crooked is because they need money, that they don’t have…

Once again this is just my opinion. I respect your right to not agree!

1 Like

This is a very popular opinion, especially when it comes to the games.

2 Likes

Oh, I have another one: I do not like Sugimori stock art on cards.

I like different, unique art. Sugimori stock art plopped in the middle of a clip art looking background has always been boring to me, which is a big reason why most of the artwork in the Gym sets misses the mark for me (especially considering that the Gym sets, above all sets, are the ones that should have the most unique art because it is literally a trainer’s specific Pokemon).

EDIT: I see @chok beat me to it.

2 Likes

But didn’t you know, we aren’t allowed to put money into things we love! We are only supposed to put money into painfully mundane and boring things like stocks, silver and 401ks. That’s the rule.

2 Likes

Curious, what’s the difference between Sugimori “stock art” and Sugimori art?

Are you saying that many of the Gym Leaders / Gym Challenge cards are Sugimori art that was made in like 1996? (Because yeah, maybe some of it was.)

Would something like the Kangkashan Trophy card count as “stock art” to you?

I love Sugimori’s style and obviously his art set the entire tone for the Pokemon series, since his artwork is the original. But I do agree you could argue his art was overused in the early Pokemon sets, especially when some of his art was reused between sets. And I also agree that Pokemon sets are better served when there’s some diversity to the artists / artwork.

2 Likes

@hyruleguardian

The Trophy Kangaskhan has such an incredible holo pattern that it makes the stock art bearable. I’m mainly talking about non-holos. If the Trophy Kangaskhan didn’t have that holo pattern, then yes; I would consider it bland Sugimori stock art.

I also feel like it wouldn’t be as appealing if it weren’t a Trophy, but that’s just my opinion, of course.

2 Likes

I got ya.

Well in that case, I just have a wildly different opinion on Sugimori art.

It’s almost as if you posted an unpopular opinion. :unamused:

5 Likes

Paying more than $1 for some paper, tinfoil and ink is ridiculous.

5ban Graphics’ full art Pokémon look really good most of the time.
Edit:Oh, almost forgot. Holo swirls are meh.

2 Likes

Great point! Also, I didn’t realize the empty boxes were getting that expensive!

1 Like

Big spending members of this forum don’t like genuinely rare cards such as prototype Blastoise as their money can’t just buy one.

1 Like

why the public are letting the pokemon company to get away without printing a 1st edition Print thats actually limited for each Set Released!

2 Likes

Anyone can buy it.

rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_id=114&ipn=icep&toolid=20004&campid=5338532980&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FPokemon-Blastoise-Test-Print-Prototype-w-Magic-Card-Back-Pre-Base-Set%2F264445081272

6 Likes

Get out.

3 Likes

Actually, some could buy it but they also have a little sense so they wouldn’t overpay.
I have a square cut 1st Ed Base Mewtwo that until another one pops up, is the only one in the world. That’s pretty rare. I can put it up for 48,000.00 too. Does that mean it’s worth that? Of course not. I could put it up for 5k and it would have a chance to get snatched up by the high rollers.

2 Likes

Is this thing legit? I’ve never heard of that before

1 Like

Not sure how you missed it. :stuck_out_tongue:

www.elitefourum.com/t/pre-base-set-test-print-prototype-blastoise/23779/1

2 Likes