What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

The latter statement was for context, but reading it back it sounds weird.

2 Likes

My unpopular opinion is that selling your empty WOTC booster boxes is a bad idea! Especially to a random eBay customer you don’t know. I imagine it would make the process of counterfeiting a booster box that much easier for the crook. I work in a print shop and we have a shrink wrap machine readily available. Whenever I am using the machine, I always think of this scenario.

I imagine that I will catch some heat for this one lol, but I have always thought this. It’s just my opinion!

A crook will be a crook either way regardless. They will always find a way. I definitely do not want to make life easier for them though!

I also can’t blame people for wanting to buy them. Some have amazing artwork and nostalgia. I totally get it, but I would never sell one myself because of my theory.

Great topic OP

12 Likes

Talking about this…this is a screen I took some days ago from ig…

6 Likes

Gym Heroes/Challenge Pokemon cards have one of the worst artworks of all sets. They literally just slap a Ken Sugimori stock art on a Windows background. If you like those so much, ex Wonder Keepers must be a no-brainer set for you.

4 Likes

why the 1st edition no rarity ERROR Pokemoncard Raichu sold for 1000usd in a PSA 8 xD

1 Like

Natural extension I think selling any old sealed product is a bad idea. Especially to a random eBay customer you don’t know. I imagine it would make the process of counterfeiting a booster box that much easier for the crook. All they need to do is open everything and grade the cards and then reseal the box as they now have the proper packing.

The only proper thing for everyone to do is opened their sealed product and burn all the packing materials… right?

1 Like

:star2::star2::star2::star2:

1 Like

You’re giving this unpopular opinion more popularity.

3 Likes

I find it funny how so many collectors want to “invest” in Pokemon product. The wealthiest people on earth didn’t make their fortunes from hoarding base set boxes and 1st edition zards. Enjoy the hobby, if you make some $ great, if not, you still get to enjoy the cards!

13 Likes

“Investing” and finding cards appealing are not mutually exclusive propositions.

I always use this example, but when I purchased a PSA 10 1st edition Charizard for $700 in 2009 I did it *both* because I wanted to own something that I found incredibly appealing and was like a trophy of my childhood *and* because I thought it had the potential to be a very good investment. (Little did I know how good of an investment, of course)

4 Likes

Most of us are your age and at one point I had a similar opinion as you.

For example I stopped collecting when skyridge released, I pulled a crystal celebi and thought the cards looked off because of their layout and overall design.

I got back into Pokémon when Black and White released and I think those were made for us that grew up with Red/Blue. There are only the 150 Gen 5 Pokémon in those games (at least until endgame), the game is mostly straight forward in its story, just like red/blue. And additionally most, if not all Pokémon are related to Gen 1. For example the so much hated garbage Pokémon is a reference to grimer/muk. I had more nostalgic feelings playing black than I had playing soulsilver.

1 Like

Interesting. I have to admit, Generation 4 was the last time I played all the way through a Pokemon game. So Generation 5 could be a great game, that’s what I’ve heard.

I just didn’t like the Pokemon designs themselves.

1 Like

You should give it a try, I like it more than dpp, xy and sm. And while I not like all of Gen 5 designs, there are some really cool ones. For example I think Hydreigon makes a better late game, dragon type non-legendary than dragonite. Never liked that dragonite got the 149 between all those legendaries, it just isn’t on par with mewtwo or the birds.

1 Like

Where would the hobby be if everybody felt the same like Storm Seige sucked or Rayquaza is the poor mans Charizard or the Ex series lacked any imagination which is why the hobby stalled. What if everybody was interested in only PSA 10 1st Ed Charizards and no other card mattered? How many collectors would we have? Instead of a million eBay Pokémon listings we’d have 120 AT MOST.
We need collectors to focus on Pikachu or Japanese/German/Portuguese cards or Pokémon pins because if they didn’t they’d all be going after the same cards.

Here’s an example. I love mint, vintage, empty boxes. Already 1st Base ones are up to 500.00. Now what if everybody loved them too. The demand would fireball the supply and it would cost me 2000.00 each to add to my collection. In the meantime, all the other product would wilt on the vine and we’d have a mass exodus from the hobby.

So go ahead and post to your hearts content. It’s healthy, in fact it’s CRUCIAL.

10 Likes

Created an account just for this tread. (Huge fan of this community by the way)

1. Error cards should not have the outrageous price tag that they have, no matter the card. Any other context would make absolutely no sense. “There were only 20 mustangs (Ferrari, Tesla, Nissan, pick your brand) that come with this defect so the asking price is three times the market value” “As you can see this type of Les Paul came with a few errors out of the factory, which makes it more valuable. You can never play it but still very rare.” Are kidding me?!

2. Showing off your huge collection on Instagram, eBay, etc. No need to announce to the world that your overcompensating for your micro package.

3. There is nothing tricky about the “card trick.” Plan and simple. “Check out my bread trick, take the last two pieces and carefully place them in the front” (long pause) “Where’s the trick?” “That’s it” “that’s it?” “lame” Exactly

4. Shadowless 1st edition Charizard is the most overrated card in the hobby. Every time one came into my possession I’ve either traded it or sold it.

5. The Pokémon Trading Card Game is no longer a children’s game since the people who grew up with it are no longer kids. Yes there are little rugrats getting into the hobby for the first time but the majority who grew up with them grew into losers. I know because those are my friends.

6. YouTubers getting free packages of cards. No one deserves free stuff, I don’t care who or what you’ve done. And this could apply outside the hobby. Maybe if I gave myself a nickname that sucks and talked to myself into a camera like a crazy person I could get free cards.

7. Gen 1 and gen 2 are the only true Pokémon to collect. Other generations that come after are pointless and a waste of time, this includes the video games too.

8. All illustration cards look terrible, excluding the Pikachu illustrator.

9. Having a Pop 1 of any card and asking for ridiculous prices.

10. Laughing at people who open a “heavy” pack and not pulling a holo. This is funny because it happened to me also.

11. Investing in Pokémon cards, booster boxes, etc. is a terrible investment. Have you not heard growth stock funds, silver, or water?

12. In a rated R battle to the death Mew would kick the shit out of Mewtwo. As long as no whiny kid tries to stop the bloodshed.

2 Likes

TALK ABOUT SOME SALTY SALT

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

YOU WANT IT ALL BUT YOU CANT HAVE IT

6 Likes

Purple face jynx is better than black face jynx

3 Likes

This is a topic I never go in depth about for the reason you stated. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Booster boxes and packs were meant to be opened not kept sealed

Charizard is the most overrated pokemon

The bubble on box and card prices will burst

2 Likes

Lv X cards have a bright future.

The Gold Star Charizard is criminally underrated.

Skyridge is not overrated.

6 Likes