What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

Pokémon is not a SPORT.

2 Likes

I instantly liked your comment because I feel absolutely indifferent about the whole signing craze… but then I read the second line. I love the Neo Destiny Shinings… so I removed the like again D:

1 Like

While I agree with you, I think it is due to the nature of our hobby. Most of us are no business men, we don’t sell our cards to make a living. We don’t even need to sell them in the first place. And when we sell we want to get the most out of it. What I think most collectors should need to learn is negotiating. It’d make our life a lot easier for buyers and sellers alike.

Edit. Plus there’re huge differences between collectors because the hobby is so widespread. So for someone a few bucks can be a huge deal and a big part of their disposable income, for others it’s merely worth debating. Same goes with different countries/cultures, age, family situation etc.

6 Likes

Worlds staff/top 32 cards are over hyped cards with limited organic demand.

5 Likes

This thread is triggering so many people, myself included.

I LOVE IT. BEST THREAD 2019!

15 Likes

the pokemon company doesnt give a damn about the secondary market.

ps eevee isnt as cute as ppl let on.

2 Likes

I hate when people say they don’t know any Pokemon apart from Gen 1 (& maybe 2) and doesn’t collect anything else than WOTC.

Gen 1 has some of the most boring Pokemon. There are some really good ones and there are lots of bad ones that I’ve never heard anyone saying to be their favorite Pokemon.

11 Likes

But but… :sob:

Just out of curiosity, what’s your favorite Gen? Or how would you even rank the Gens, I’m curious to see where Gen 1 ends up for you, haha

@tabuz

10 Likes

Gen 3 is my favorite but all gens have Pokemon that I like / dislike. For Gen 1 games I’ve only truly played Fire Red as I never had a GB / GBC as a kid. I like Fire Red a lot overall but I struggled to build a team because I barely have that many favorites from gen 1. And some of my favorites are split between versions, like Growlithe and Vulpix for example.

3 Likes

Agreed, plus Gen 5 is underrated.

1 Like

Love and hate this thread at the same time, lol. So many I disagree with, as well as so many I can totally relate to.

Here are some of my maybe not so popular opinions:

1. Gen 2 was the best gen, not just in terms of Pokémon, but in terms of anime especially

2. People hate too much on newly released Pokémon gens. If gen 7 would have been the first gen and gen 1 would have been released now, loads of people would hate on Pokémons like Voltorb/Electrode; Magnemite/Magneton; Jynx; etc.

3. Pikachu and Charizard are way too overrated, and the Pokémon company should just stop releasing cards for both of them for at least 1-3 years and release Pokémon with barely any cards like Mantyke; Bonsly; Happiny; Chingling; etc.

4. COLLECTOR-stamped Charizard will be sought-after in 10+ years.

5. Collecting (Master) sets is overrated in comparison to the full National Index

6. Non-English and non-Japanese cards are underrated. Most collectors can’t even tell the difference between some of the languages…

7. Most sellers from the US are too self-centered and think the US is the entire world; forgetting the market-potential if they just ship internationally to Europe; Australia; etc.

8. Opening WotC era booster packs just for nostalgia sake and hoping to pull a Holofoil is stupid… If you want to open packs, buy the cheaper new ones like XY Evolutions, and leave those rare ones for sealed collectors.

This will do for now.

Greetz,
Quuador

17 Likes

I completely agree with you about the negotiating part, and of course about the collectors’ pockets. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: the thing I said in my point “3” sadly happened with a quite known seller :sweat_smile:.
That’s why I said he was greedy.
Actually it was 0,80 cent but he rounded to 1€.

1 Like

Why does everyone like Charizard so much? A fire breathing dragon is a little overused in any kind of media, isn’t it? (And the art for most Charizard cards is boring too)

10 Likes

Simple: cards cost too much. And I don’t mean just the old ones.

2 Likes

This is quite the thread so forgive me if I repeat things previously said:

• WOTC cards are boring and unappealing. Some have nice artwork but artwork quality per card is nothing compared to the EX series (except Power Keepers).

• It’s too easy to pull modern ultra rare cards. When you get 6-8 per box it really takes away the excitement of pulling one. Back in EX-DPt era and even BW, your chase cards were 3 per box if you were lucky. Let’s go back to that.

• Nobody really cares about “investing” in Pokemon, we all just want a way to justify purchasing children’s trading cards.

8 Likes

Yes. The original ex’es had that Stadium/ Colosseum chairosucuro cg quality that is nostalgic in the right way. I would also add on that the modern era is where it’s at for art just as much as it’s allowed the life long timers to shine out more (Morii, Komiya, Ooyama) but not without the trade off following along with that original ex style over current RR/UR’s for I do miss Himeno’s handrawn manga style along with Ken’s watercolour washouts.

1 Like

Your favorite pokemon is from Gen 1. Every gen after 2 looks like something from DIGIMON.

1 Like

Ill go one further: All Pokemon cards have limited organic demand :open_mouth:

3 Likes

This should be a fairly unpopular opinion because as far as I know, in their release both cards are equally rare, but the full art fetches around double the price.

I also like the poncho promos better as non full arts, but those had different releases.

5 Likes

Holo swirls do not make a card any nicer and shouldn’t demand a premium.

13 Likes