What are your niche collecting goals/interests?

Artist collections are always a solid idea! They can be very diverse and it’s really cool to see an artists evolution throughout their career. I’m working through Masakazu Fukuda at the moment and it’s really nuts how different his HGSS era artworks are from every other era. I often get his works and MATCH’s confused when shuffling through commons at local shops.

If you haven’t already visited the artist thread on eFour, here it is.

5 Likes

I’ll definitely give it another look, I believe I was in this thread at some point before. I think my favourite artist would be Kagemaru Himeno which is what I’d probably focus on if I ever did it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, collecting Seviper is already pretty niche, but I also collect it in all languages, and even non-TCG and figures. I even have a cushion featuring Seviper. So I guess it’s niche of niche. :sweat_smile: :wink:

I also collect the first released card of each of the 14 TCG languages (soon 15!).

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I’ve got a roughly half-completed binder of her art. She illustrated a lot lol. The nice thing is that with exception to natta wake, Iris and the newer Player’s ceremony line, her cards are very affordable

4 Likes

I guess my major niche would be collecting pokemon center japan campaign releases when I like em or if theyre based around gen 2 or Dedenne. Its rare you see anyone go that far into all aspects of merch, but its super satisfying for me when i locate each and every item for em. Most are so hard to find too that im still missing a lot for certain ones, but below ill post some examples:

13 Likes

@squirtle1000
Are these all “self-pulled” cards too? I can’t imagine how many booster cases you’ve gone through.

@JoshsOddCollection
These are so cool! I love spotting animal cameos too… just never got around to collecting the arts.

@TCAGaming
I would be interested in seeing these “dirty” border WOTC cards in a video!

@Dizzle
Whoah. So much to take in here. Do you order these directly from Japan or do you purchase them on the secondary market via eBay, Mercari, Yahoo, etc.

1 Like

Pretty much from all of the above lol. The thing with merch is the older it is, the harder to find it becomes (especially in a new and unused condition). I used to think finding mint cards from 20 years ago was rough but once i got into this kind of collecting it really showed crazy difficulty, so you really need to keep your eyes everywhere and anywhere at all times.

3 Likes

Yeah, all the Evolutions cards I pulled myself. I estimate that I opened about 20 booster boxes worth of packs. Many of those were opened when packs were still $2.50 each. It would definitely not make any sense to open boxes at current prices. So, going forward, any cards I still need 10s in I’ll just buy already graded (with the exception of the truly bulk cards, that no one else bothers to grade).

1 Like

Please share more! I love that

Cosmos fossil Dragonite? English? Is this a thing?!

1 Like

Believe it or not, they do exist. But they are incredibly rare. Here are two examples (not my cards).

7 Likes

My wallet is so thankful that they didn’t have limited cosmos holo for the Jungle set.

3 Likes

Ooof mine too! Thankfully I can appreciate the Japanese Jungle set if I’m itching for some cosmos holofoil + Jungle artwork. :upside_down_face:

I think my deck collection is considered niche since I havent come across anyone who has an equivalent. I am trying to get a copy of every english retail released deck including box revision variants. I am about 90% done but 5 of the remaining 10 decks havent been seen in years :smiling_face_with_tear:. I’ll update this soonish but for now here was the collection over a year ago.

3 Likes

Wow, this is such a cool collection @lyleberr! How do you safely store and display it?

If only i could photograph it… Unlimited Tyranitar reverse holo prime, it exists but i havent met anyone who said theyve seen one. If anyone helps me find one i would be very generous!

2 Likes

Currently, LOTS of boxes. Soon, up on shelves. Its taking more space than I originally considered and caused me to rethink from a 80year old display cabinet/hutch with tiered stands now to wall shelves spaced to maximize display quantity. Hopefully I can get more time to work on it soon, at least the lighting will be more natural and thus easier to view.

1 Like

I imagine you’ll need a whole room soon just dedicated to this part of your collection! Are you doing anything to protect against UV damage from the sun? Those boxes could fade in color if exposed to direct sunlight.

Just the standard keep out of direct sun. There is minimal direct light in the room they will end up in, mostly diffused natural light and minimal lightbulb use. So not overly worried about them fading, also for me it will be worth it since its a personal collection and I’ll always just be happy to complete it even if portions of the box discolor a bit. The really good news is that the cards will be untouched and safe.

1 Like

I prefer my artist collections. I try to keep my actual collections limited to things that fit in cases or binder because I hate dusting. :grin:

2 Likes