Arita, Mitsuhiro (by @xileets )
Baba, Yukiko (by @brendantheclayboy )
Fukuda, Masakazu (by @pigeonsyndicate )
Himeno, Kagemaru (by @muk ) ← only up to ex era
Himeno, Kagemaru (by @pfm ) ← up-to-date as of 2023-12-13
Kanda, Shinji (by @muk )
Kimura, Naoyo (by @seelovittt )
Kimura, Naoyo (by @DJGary) ← up-to-date as of 2023-12-13
Kinebuchi, Keiji (by @brendantheclayboy )
Komiya, Tomokazu (by @muk )
Kusajima, Hajime (by @muk )
Kusube, Aya (by @muk )
Ito, Asako (by @pokefam )
Masago, Kimiya (by @muk )
so-taro (by @pokefam )
sowsow (by @pokefam )
Tanaka, Miki (by @CollectableCardboard )
Morii, Yuka (by @CollectableCardboard )

Alternative layouts for Komiya and sowsow (by @corncob2001 )

(I put the spreadsheets at the top of the OP for better visibility)

Hey everyone,

this thread is supposed to act as general resource and gathering place for all you fine artist collectors out there.

→ which is your illustrator of choice and why have you decided to collect his/her artworks? Share your collection or favorite arts here!

→ you have seen some lots/auctions on ebay, Mercari, YJ that could benefit a fellow artist collector? Share them here!

→ have some tips for buying singles or preferred storage/display methods (specific binders etc.)? Share them here!

→ have any related questions whatsoever? Here’s the place to ask!

→ last but not least: If you have already created a spreadsheet/checklist for “your” artist, please share it here! I know it can take several hours of work to create a good one, but if you could generously share it here, it will massively benefit future generations of artist collectors and might really help to promote this wonderful branch of Pokemon collecting! I’ll update this OP with all newly added spreadsheets.

It would be helpful if at least the set, set number and release date of the cards would be included. Other than that, there are no formal standards. Every input helps!

Excited to see what you guys have!
Happy collecting!

42 Likes

Let me start off with everyones favorite goofball, Tomokazu Komiya!
He’s really changed the game since he first entered during the Vending series era (1998), which are coincidentally also my favorite sets :wink:

There’s always either something funny happening in his illustrations or the Pokemon express some kind of relatable emotion. I think his childish style is also pretty accessible to most people.
Right now he seems to be in some kind of a psychedelic phase with tons of strong, crazy colours. But he’s still as distinguishable as ever.

Accoring to my first spreadsheet (see OP), there are a whopping 229 230 unique artworks made by him. I have about 50 so far, but luckily most of the old, obscure, most valuable promos are already checked off (aside from the 2000 New Year Jumbo, that one will haunt me for a while I guess). Not quite sure yet what binder I should use. Any recommendations?

Furthermore I’m a huge fan of Aya Kusube and Kimiya Masago, of which I will create and share a spreadsheet later down the road when I have time :blush:

28 Likes

I haven’t started any artist binders yet but I plan on doing some later. I would like to do one for Komiya for the same reasons you listed already. I actually started off disliking the art, but like a good moustache, it started to grow on me eventually. I really like his Delibird from one of the Neo sets, I forgot which one, maybe Revelation?

I want to collect Kawayoo’s cards too because I really enjoy the dynamic poses of the Pokemon he draws and the style of coloring.
This is the card that initially caught my attention and has become one of my favorite card arts! I don’t even like Heatmor as a Pokemon that much so that should tell you how much I like the art lol

6 Likes

Yeah man, Kawayoo is awesome! Great choice! And I know excatly what you mean with liking the artwork despite not even liking the Pokemon itself. That’s one of the best things about artist collecting IMO, it inevitably introduces you to new Pokemon and new sets and therefore expands your horizons.

2 Likes

I am in love with Shibuzoh, Mizue, Yukiko Baba, HYOGONOSUKE, Miki Kudo, sowsow and of course Komiya like the good smpratte disciple that I am.

7 Likes

I am the CEO of the Midori Harada appreciation society

6 Likes

I can participate in this one :grin:

I’ve said this to death, but my favorite artist is Mizue. She creates amazing commons, uncommons, and normal rares with very light, bright, and “fluffy” designs. It’s a pleasure flipping through all of the pages I have for her! The majority of her cards can be purchased for less than $5 or $10 making most of her set very accessible to pretty much everyone. She’s had 139 cards published since she first started on Pokemon in 2011 making her collection somewhat sizeable but definitely not overwhelming.
I posted the link to my recent collection thread post where I show all of her artworks in English, along with a lot of misc non TCG products.
www.elitefourum.com/t/nishs-collection-look-at-my-balls/22976/50

I also technically have a spreadsheet, but it’s literally just pokemon name and english set number so that I could search them on ebay easily, it’s not really worth sharing lmao

Lastly, here’s some of my favorite artworks from her in much better quality than my collection thread

8 Likes

I wanna do a yoshida or masago collection soon, but I have waaay too many collection goals active right now.

6 Likes

Very nice, Masago is always good and has a pretty managable output of only 17 artworks :blush:
Which Yoshida are you referring to? AFAIK there are at least 4 different illustrators with that name (Ayaka, Emi, Hironobu, Shin-ichi). Always wondered if some of them are related…

2 Likes

I have a binder with Komiya, sowsow and yuka mori. I like the claymation style of Yuka, even if sigs were ruined by @hyrulehistorian

2 Likes

@muk, the Farfetch’d from your image appears to be missing from your spreadsheet. I’m assuming this has to do with it not showing up in Bulbapedia’s Komiya list for whatever reason. You can find the release information on the individual card page.

5 Likes

Dang, you’re right! I’ll fix that when I have time. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hironobu yoshida, the poke dude himself.

3 Likes

Great thread, and particularly, thank you so much for that Komiya spreadsheet Muk!

I started one recently, but got waylaid about a third of the way in, so this is an absolute gift!

I’ve probably said, but I’m fully on the Komiya wagon also. I love the colour palates, and and when I got back into Pokémon I couldn’t quite believe how unique his cards were! I had originally stopped at Gym Challenge, and hadn’t found Vending at the time (as a child).

Have been slowly picking up the art, and I find it’s such a good way to keep invested in modern when I might not engage with a set otherwise. I also only collect in Japanese, as it allows me to focus on the art and card as an object in itself (another reason that list is perfect).

8 Likes

I really like Ooyama’s various cards. I wish he got more love outside of the older promos.

6 Likes

I’m a Komiya boy as well, but I plan on collecting his stuff casually. The New Year Jumbo will probably be replaced with a regular sized proxy since I have no interest in spending 1K on it haha

5 Likes

I did have an artist collection question actually…

If you already have cards in your binder sets for a particular artist, do you get a second copy for your artist binder or are you content with having a copy in your collection generally? Komiya and Vending as an example.

Even more into the weeds; if you have a played and a mint copy, which one goes in which binder?

Have been grappling with this one recently.

p.s. I second the comments on the New Years Present - I’m glad it’s a Jumbo in some ways as it allows me to mentally get over the fact it’s so expensive and likely not going to happen.

2 Likes

Komiya is such a great artist to collect! Like you said all of the artwork is easily accessible and fairly cheap apart from the scream promo and jumbo!

For my Komiya collection I am currently chasing each English variant as well as the Japanese equivalent promos!

One card you missed in your list was the English TMB Janine’s Beedrill :wink:
Other notable Komiya grails are Charmeleon, Clefairy, and Bulbasaur Unlimited E1, and the distributor Munchlax!!

I have one checked off my list so far!
One day I’ll have to share my collection here :relaxed:

4 Likes

I am also super into Hasuno so I hope he gets some new SR alternate art card in the future. He seems to get a bit of presence in each new set, so I am sure one is coming. His Espeon & Deoxys from Tag All Stars is one of my all time favourites.

2 Likes

Love this thread! Yet another Komiya collector here, I’m working on every English card (and Japanese exclusives), got pretty much all of the pricier ones now and sitting at around 160/229. Mostly missing a lot of the older commons/uncommons and Janine’s VS cards, but happy to wait until I find them for the right price!

One thing that makes me feel better (for now) is collecting ONLY regular sized cards, and just making sure I have one of each art, which means I’m not worried about PokeKyun Psyduck and the New Year promo :wink:

Making a wants list on CardMarket and using their Shopping Wizard really helped, I picked up a lot of bulk cards from just a couple of sellers which helped a lot with getting a lot crossed off the list quickly! (I think this feature is limited to just 20 cards now, which really sucks)

When I complete my Komiya collection, Kawayoo is definitely next on the list, his work alone in HGSS got me back into collecting for a while, just love his work!

9 Likes