Favorite TCG Illustrator

What is your favorite artist? For me I really enjoy Masakazu Fukuda’s work. I’m not sure if you can beat the gold star illustrations.

Also, the Charizard from Team Up is one of the best recent set artworks I’ve seen in a while.

7 Likes

kirisAki is the best out there, blows all of them out of the water imo.

1 Like

While I never say he’s my favorite, it happens very frequently that I’ll be drawn to certain cards (especially older ex era) and see that the artist is Ryo Ueda. He has crafted many of my all time favorite card arts.

3 Likes

Tomokazu Komiya is my favorit since hypno in breakpoint. (How do I add pictures? I still cant figure out how to do it from mobile after all these years)

After that I started looking up his work. And imo he has the most uniqe style in all of pokemon TCG. You see his art and you know right away thats its him

2 Likes

Mitsuhiro Arita

2 Likes

Tomokazu Komiya. :blush: Just look at this uncommon Salazzle i forgot to post in the art thread!

5 Likes

OOYAMA, Himeno, Kizuki

2 Likes

I thought a lot about this question in the past and here is my detailed answer:

Sugimori, Arita and also Himeno are God tier artists that defined the TCG. There is simply no point in putting them in any order or argue about their influence. One could argue that Kinebuchi should also be included here.

After that, personally, I like Kusube and Komiya the most for their unique distinct style that no other artist comes close to. Masago also has a special place in my heart. His name is rarely mentioned, although many of his cards are true icons.

Kimura, Fukuyama, Kusajima and Harada have some banger artworks too, but they are just a little too inconsistent for me to put them up there.

But in the end I just love the variety. There really is something for everyone in Pokemon.

2 Likes

Agree.

1 Like

Probably Himeno because of her long history with the tcg

1 Like

No one mentions the Queen of Kawaii, Atsuko? (Perhaps Kagemaru also vies for that throne.)

I must say Mitsuhiro or Naoyo—if not for their realism, if we could call it that, then for the coolness of their creatures.

And Ken can’t be ranked.

2 Likes

I like originality above all else so Kouichi Ooyama and Tomoaki Imakuni all the way!

Sugimori or bust

1 Like

I like Komiya because his artwork always prompts a reaction. whether it’s cute or wtf, you get to decide.

(wailmer looks like he forgot to do his homework and drew them in the car)

5 Likes

Sugimori, Arita, Fukuda

2 Likes

Ken Sugimori. Classic and amazing. I love many artists but his are the most nostalgic.

4 Likes

To me Arita is the best at putting a Pokemon in an environment. He makes you think about what the 'Mon is thinking, doing, feeling as well as what is going on around them.

7 Likes

Lots of great artists, but Komiya definitely is a standout for me.

1 Like

As an artist I really look up to TOKIYA and Kawayoo’s art style a lot. Their illustrations and posing of the pokemon for each card just pops!

Overall I’m a big fan of Mitsuhiro Arita’s art especially when they had him do all of those Tag team cards.

There’s just so many good illustrators with new ones coming in with the newer sets.

Honorable mentions to Yuka Morii and her pokemon sculptures. That alternate art of Snivy & Venusaur was just so amazing. Seeing the actual size of these sculpted pieces is also a surprise.

5 Likes

Ken Sugimori and Kimiya Masago.

3 Likes