What are your 2023 collection goals?

Ok, lets see how I did on my 2022 goals and set some new ones for 2023!

I did pretty well on the goals I set, but didn’t meet all of them. I did not add many PSA 9/10 English ex to my collection this year, I am only at 54% complete so I missed out on that goal. Grading did open up and I did wonderfully on my PSA 10 Japanese BW EX and Lv. X set goals. I haven’t been able to find a mint Heatran or Virizion EX SR, but beyond that I have every other card either in PSA 9, 10, or in mint gradable condition. Thanks to PSA opening up and getting through orders quickly this year, I was able to get 70% of the BW EX SR set in PSA 10. I also got to 78% of the Lv. X set in PSA 10, I really only have 2-3 more cards that I don’t have in PSA 9 or mint ungraded condition for that set as well. So I effectively met my goal, but not in mint gradable condition, but PSA 10! For the Japanese UR set, my PSA returns were excellent and I’m now at 50% of all UR cards in PSA 10.

Beyond that, PSA opening up was awesome and I graded all the cards I wanted to and more!

I also managed to meet 2/3 of my stretch goals. I obtained four English BW EX PSA 10s (Genesect, Entei, Raikou, and Dialga). I’m especially happy with the Entei and Raikou as these are very rare and expensive cards! I was able to get the BW-P Lottery Rayquaza and Giratina EX Full Arts, and both graded PSA 7 which I was very satisfied with. It’s been a dream to get these cards so I’m incredibly happy to finally get them.

For my side goals, I’m at 47% of the Japanese delta species regular holos in PSA 10, and I’m slowly working on building up my XY Full Art, modern Special Art, and E-Series collections. I surprisingly bought a lot of E-Series this year and did very well at PSA with them, but I’m not sure if this is something I’ll keep working on or if I’ll just sell them to fund other goals.

Now, for my 2023 goals!!

I’m going to set myself a big goal and say that I want to complete both the PSA 10 Japanese set-based BW EX SR set the PSA 10 set-based Lv. X set. I think these are both doable with some work.

I also want to get to 65% on the English PSA 9/10 ex set. Definitely think this will be the main goal after I get Japanese DPt/BW done.

As for stretch goals, similar to last year, I want to add another 2-3 English BW EX PSA 10s to the collection and try for a PSA 10 Plasma Gale Charizard.

Looking forward to another exciting year of collecting! I think sometimes the most fun acquisitions are the ones you never saw coming, and I’m sure I’ll have several of those in 2023!

13 Likes

I cant seem to find my old collection goals post, but if I remember it was getting all eseries bgs 9 no subs, and getting an EX box.

This year I did pretty well on those goals, the eseries goal has been adjusted a little bit to deal with grading costs and the upcoming label swaps from BGS. It would be financially irresponsible to just throw the same low popularity eseries card at BGS for stupid grading costs and impossible resells so I somewhat modified this goal to be just the 12x best/my favorite eseries holo from each card color type to make a nice display because my case holds 12x cards per row.

I am happy I did this because it allowed me to build 14/16 of a 1st ed base holo set with the saved money and time which I cherish a lot.

As for the box I was able to meet that goal as well, and I am finally diversified enough imo into sealed, singles, slabs, modern and vintage so I am happy.

My main goals are actually close to done and I am just missing 2x eseries holo BGS 9s and 2x base 1st ed BGS 8.5s so I have been wondering what to do next. Not fully decided but for next year I would like to expand my sealed vintage collection by maybe 1 more box in the low-mid value range. We will see what happens I guess.

I’d like to stay engaged with collecting for the entire year! From March to July my schedule really picks up and I almost entirely stop actively collecting. I’m hoping to be able to continue collecting, albeit in some limited capacity, over that period in 2023

3 Likes

Im not sure how to quote my post from another thread, but thats ok lol.

I think I did pretty well on my general goals this year. My intention was to keep things broad and open this year so i could really try to hone in on which area of collecting makes me the happiest and overall, i think its really helped focus my purchases this year. I feel like ive learned a lot about myself and what i value as a collector. Lotta crazy big things! Just did my first ever event and got my cards signed by Arita!! Did my first PSA submissions, first time using a proxy buying from Japan, first time using PWCC; a lot of firsts this year!! Despite my very broad goals, i managed to make decent progress on just about everything I was interested in!

• made solid progress on my PSA 8 Shadowless set
  • got a couple no symbol jungle holos in varying grades for great prices all around, including a PSA 9 Snorlax!
  • got to enjoy a lot of modern product, as well as start some japanese binders and make decent progress on them
  • purchased a decent chunk of PSA 10 vintage Japanese holos, as well as modern promos like Player’s Ceremony
  • grabbed some obscure JP prize promos like Palace Book 2014 & some early tropical worlds cards

Im very happy with where im at right now in collecting in general, as well as the actual collection. I also made my first sales!

For 2023, im thinking i wanna keep moving in the direction ive been going. I also have some big purchases in mind for this year (big for me), and want to continue selling some cards to make that happen because i really managed to raise my price ceiling recently with profits from cards and thats really opened the door to more amazing cards i never thought id be able to afford (and it feels awesome!) So yea thats where im at. Cheers to another amazing year collecting!!

5 Likes

Cant find my last years answers but Ive made some progress on my deck collection. I think it sounds like 2023 will the year of collection consolidation for most people. I will be part of that but more organization, kinda surprising when Im coming across 3 sightseers when I thought I only had 1. Also lots of extra deck duplicates need to be sold, lots of random cheap graded cards should probably be moved as well.

As far as what to still collect, modern English decks are easy to grab and there havent been any major packaging variations so my focus is on the remaining 10 deck boxes I need and 26 more I need sealed (hopefully without breaking the bank). Beyond that, maybe catch up on a couple of the modern sets and push for getting some shadowless holos that I like the look of like Venusaur and Nidoking.

2 Likes

This past year, I really got back into collecting after quite a break, and I’d like to keep up that same energy and love of the hobby in 2023. Much like a lot of others here, I’d like to consolidate parts of my collection that aren’t part of my main goals, but more specific goals for the coming year include:

• 96%+ completion for English Piplup line. Due to Tropical Winds and the SDCC stamp, 96% is what I consider “complete” for English at the moment, barring any new releases for this upcoming year. I’m currently at 93%.

• At least one of each Piplup released in each language. Russian and Polish will be the most difficult, but I believe I can acquire the others fairly easily.

• A total of 33%+ for the entire Piplup line + Dawn/Hikari/Akari all-language master set. I’m currently at 25%.

Here’s to another great year in collecting!

6 Likes

Leftover goal from 2022:
CD Promos.

Continuing goals, for 2023:
Illustrator collections
MtG Lands

5 Likes

I’ll keep in mind looking for the Polish and Russian ones. I’m looking for the Typhlosions in those languages as well.

3 Likes

2023 goals:

Continue to add to my PSA 9 1st Ed base set
Complete my 97’ carddass binder

1 Like

I want to grade (and maybe sell) some stuff in 2023. I have some light boosters I want to grade, those are going regardless, maybe a shipment of cheaper cards now that PSA is back at it. I hope to finally get one or two shipments of my most expensive cards out the door, this is the big one that’s been hanging over my head for 2 years now, that potential 5-digit upcharge buffer (which I’ll have to pay 25% tax on as well) haunts me in my dreams.

I’m currently in the process of completing my all-DI, all-digital B-rig recording studio in the garage and I still have some really expensive parts to buy so I don’t expect to have any money to spend on Pokemon other than grading fees and shipping.

If I get lucky with the grades and upcharges, maybe I’ll treat myself to some 1st ed or Shadowless stuff, I don’t see myself buying anything else.

2 Likes

My main goal is to complete my VS Series binder. Apart from that I just have some smaller collection goals at the moment, like completing the CHRs/CSRs from 2021/2022.

4 Likes

I didn’t grab many cards this year because I ended up focusing on other collections, but I’m cooling down on those so maybe there’ll be more cardboard in my future? Goals:

• Finally get a new binder for my Magnemites
  • Finish my English Magnemite collection (about 2/3s there, but the most expensive card I have left is the Neo Discovery holo 1st and most of the rest is just hunting for ex era codes)
  • Like other species collectors in here, get a Magnemite in every language. I’m at 9/15, with two of those being the obvious Russian/Polish.
  • Super long term goal would be get my Luigi Pikas graded since those aren’t getting to cheaper to grade anytime soon
1 Like

2023 will be my Trophy Kang year :smiley: I finally want to add this grail to my collection :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Let’s first look back at my 2022 goals:

1. Keep up with FA Supporter, Seviper, and English Pikachu releases

Done. :slight_smile:

• My FA Supporter & Character Rare collection is still complete, except for some incoming cards.
  • My Seviper collection is almost complete, only missing one Traditional Chinese Seviper from the Darkrai Vstar deck (there is a Dark + Lucario decks eBay listing for ~85 USD excluding shipping/import fees, so a bit too high for my liking) and the three new Simplified Chinese Seviper (haven’t found a good source for Simplified Chinese singles yet).
  • Apart from the holo SwSh League stamped Pikachu that was given at World 2022 apparently, I’ve kept up with all English and Japanese exclusive Pikachu releases a.f.a.i.k.
  1. Try to find the Swedish sealed Moltres

Done. The sealed portion of my Moltres collection is finally 100% complete. :smiley:

1. Try to find the German/Spanish Surfing/Flying Pikachu promos (not too realistic in terms of rarity and availability, since I’ve only seen two each ever - but the only realistic Pikachu cards left in terms of prices from the ten missing, since the others are: one English Art Academy Pikachu; four Japanese Art Academy Pikachu; and the Japanese SNAP Photo Contest Pikachu.

Nope. I knew this was a long shot, since I’ve only seen them twice each in the past 7+ years. Ah well, I hope to find them one day.

1. Try to find the matte bronze, silver, golden, and shiny golden Seviper figures and Seviper Amada stickers (and perhaps some other missing non-TCG Seviper stuff). Apart from one Chinese knockoff figure that’s sold out everywhere, those metal ones are the only Seviper figures I’m aware of that I’m still missing.

Unfortunately another nope. I saw earlier this week I missed out on the matte golden Seviper figure on Mercari. :sob: So I’m still looking for these 4 out of 5 metal figures; the Chinese KO figure; that last pesky Amada Attack Entei sticker; and anything else on my wanted list.

As for my goals for 2023, it’s basically the same as last year minus the sealed Swedish Moltres. :person_shrugging: (I am still looking for a GRAAD-9+ graded Italian Moltres; Platin-9+ graded German Lavados; and CGA-90+ graded corrected English Moltres to 100% complete that collection, though.)

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

I like it nice and simple so I would say my goal for 2023 is to continue the quest for my ultimate vintage information Pokédex, yup… Sounds good to me. :smiley: This does include research because I still have allot to learn. :smile:

1 Like

My life will change in big ways next year so the one and only real goal is to get that topps chrome sparkle muk finally in my collection. I don’t want to consolidate my collection other than what’s a must to get that sparkle muk but i did have to cut a lot from my future goals i was planning, mainly from side collections but some from slime army too. Probably also a good thing to keep things in control but still always hurts to abandon the idea of having some specific cards

2 Likes

I know you are helping to build the Old Back unnumbered promo list, but I would also love to see your Japanese Promo collection. Good Luck with all the goals set for the next year.

Cheers!

1 Like

I was able to get Fan Club Eevee so that’s big win, other than that I didn’t buy anything. 2023 I would like to buy some raw english gold stars, nothing too impossible hopefully.

3 Likes

Somehow find a way to spend more on cards and not on bills and stuff :sob:

1 Like

Continue to collect Japanese promos. To be more specific:

• Complete ADV-P promo set - 17 cards missing. Very affordable, just hoping to find some in decent condition.

• PCG-P promo set - Reach 85% completion. Currently on 56% , missing 69 :smirk: cards in total.

• DPt-P Promo set - Reach 90% completion. Currently on 61% , missing 20 cards in total.

• Try and buy 1 prize card

• Write atleast 3 new articles on this forum.

Wishing everyone success on their collection journeys and goals for the coming year.

Cheers!

6 Likes