Value MEWTWO GOLD STAR PSA 10

Hi,

what do you guys think is a Mewtwo Gold star in PSA 10 worth?

One sold in Germany at 4,199 EUR / 3,754 GBP in April 2020:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pokemon-Mewtwo-Mewtu-Gold-Star-Holo-103-110-EX-Holon-Phantoms-PSA-10-Gem-Mint/402019189722?hash=item5d9a3603da:g:LFgAAOSw6D9dHe53

There are currently two active listings on eBay at 3,300 EUR and 3,500 EUR respectively. Same seller, based in Italy:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISCOUNT-POKEMON-MEWTWO-Gold-Star-103-110-Ex-Holon-Phantoms-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/324211902852?hash=item4b7c890984:g:B~wAAOSwhCle1BIQ

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POKEMON-MEWTWO-Gold-Star-103-110-Ex-Holon-Phantoms-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-Charizard/324184180985?hash=item4b7ae208f9:g:B~wAAOSwhCle1BIQ

I saw it, but isn’t 3000 € + a little too much? I got mine for 1000€ on january.

Who’s to say what’s too much, if somebody is willing to pay that price? :wink:

In all seriousness, the market is in a very strange place at the moment. Prices for many cards and sealed products have skyrocketed within the last 6 months - I’m talking double, triple the price.

No-one can really say whether the current prices are sustainable, or whether they’ll go down. Maybe they’ll go up, who knows? Everybody has their own thoughts on the matter.

Either way it sounds like you got a decent deal on your card considering the current market value. I don’t follow gold star prices so maybe somebody else with more experience in them can offer you some different sales prices / data points.

3 Likes

Here’s an important lesson I learned a while ago: The value of a card does not equal the latest sold listing on ebay.

Gold Star Mewtwo PSA 10 was around 1200-1500 in January. I know, because I had my eye on one and was close to buying it but got sniped (it was an ebay offer from Germany). There was no purchase between this one and the one that apparently sold for 4200 Eur in April, at least none that I know of. So I would be hesitant to say that the Market value of Mewtwo GS PSA 10 is 4000 Eur because of one sale. For one, you don’t know if the sale was legit or if the ebay seller (who btw hides the PSA cert of all of his cards) bought his own card via second ebay profile to artificially increase the card’s market value, only to sell it later for the inflated price. Secondly, the current prices from the Italian sellers are probably based on the current market situation (which is highly speculative and risky) and on the 4200 Eur sale, which might have been fake. So you shouldn’t assume that you get a good deal if you buy this card for 3500 Eur instead of 4200 Eur, when the established market value is closer to 1000 Eur.

When you see a card that has been at a certain price sell for 300% all of a sudden, be very cautious. No organic growth behaves like this.

3 Likes

Absolutely this. Buying anything that’s jumped in price that much in such a short space of time will always be a risk. The market is behaving strangely at the moment.

I’ll just reiterate that I’m not an expert on the current (or past) prices of Gold Stars. I just wanted to share the eBay listings I found because I know UK/European listings sometimes don’t show up for those in the US.

1 Like

I’m hoping someone will be able to find some recent sales. There was a guy who on youtube to graded multiple PSA 10 gold stars jus a few weeks ago. I was very impressed with his card condition. He estimated that Mewtwo was worth $7000. That sounded crazy to me that this card is 5x or more it’s previous value.

There’s some more sales data here from 2019:

www.pokemonprice.com/CardDetails/3d155e4e-bfbc-445b-a7ac-d324dfd25ac0/mewtwo-holo-gold-star

You can filter by PSA 10 only below the graph.

@hisoka107 ,I think the last one sold in May for $2500. Still too high in my opinion, considering that the sold listings before the questionable €4200 sale were ~1300€. The only reason to buy this card for $3000 or higher right now is fomo, and even that’s not a good argument because English Mewtwo GS has one of the highest PSA 10 pops (99)

It’s July. January prices are as relevant as January weather in this market.

To those who *feel* the one sold listing is too high: what is a better price and where can I buy it at that price? Can you point me to the oasis of PSA 10 goldstar mewtwos that are going to reverse this price trend?

8 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster ,well, I did say that it’s too high in my opinion, not as a general consensus. And the question isn’t whether there are other copies avaliable for cheaper right now, the question is whether there will be cheaper ones in the future. None of us can predict the future, but we can take a look at the past, see the price history of the card and use that knowledge to make smart decisions. And when I see a card jump from 1100 to 4200 without any sales inbetween, I’m very cautious (and that’s just me, really), and I see it as probable that the prices will retrace because the high sale was likely an outlier or not legit. It’s GS Mewtwo PSA 10 itself that proves me right here. After the card got allegedly sold for 4200€ in April, the next copy got sold for $2500 in May. If the 4200 was really legit, the buyer let fomo take control and could have saved ~$1500-1600 with more caution.

You also gave the right cue: January prices are as relevant as January weather in this market
Who says that this market is good for buying cards? If the current market is as unpredictable as it is (and as you said), is it wise to spend so much money on cards? Especially on those that have a relatively big PSA pop count? If it was a super scarce card like some old trophy with 5 graded copies or less, then yeah, I’d advise to just buy it if you really want it. But I can’t give that advice for set cards with big pop counts.

2 Likes

Mewtwo Gold star PSA 10 population increase:

september 2017 - september 2018: +34
september 2018 - september 2019: +10
september 2019 - now: +2

Combined with the fact that Mewtwo is insanely popular, gold stars are insanely popular, and the overall price increase in the market, $3k - $4k does not sound that crazy to me.

How do you find this data. I’d really like to do this for other cards.

I checked the PSA 10 population of Mewtwo on www.pokemonprice.com/Sets. Then adding one year from their first datapoint and substracting previous values

99 copies is not that big of a pop. now if it were a caterpie…
gold stars are about as good as 1st edition base, so don’t worry about 3-4k on a card. future prices should trend positively.

You can’t rely too much on price history as well because a lot of other factors have changed in such a short period of time.

I.E. the number of people in the market, slowdown of psa pop increases (especially psa 10) which can be tied to fewer mint raw copies being out there, drying up and opening of sealed product, cards entering permanent collections where they won’t be sold again, etc. As we get further into the future, the increased income of the market participants could be another factor driving prices.

1 Like

I personally don’t think within reason one needs to be terribly cautious when purchasing something like a gold star mewtwo in PSA 10 condition. It’s a finite supply, relatively scarce (gold star rarity), an iconic pokemon and in the highest grade. If you’re in line with recent sales, you’re buying because you love the card, and you plan to hold it for 5+ years, buy away! Don’t sweat it too much if you hear of one selling for a little more or a little less right after you bought yours. Just ignore it. If you’re looking to flip or sell over a shorter term horizon for some reason then by all means you should be optimizing every last penny. Or if it’s a mewtwo versus putting food on the table, your kid’s college fund or something like that, do not buy the piece of cardboard for god’s sake. Only spend money you can afford to lose! I paid $3k for my mewtwo gold star in a private sale and feel great about it. But that’s just how I think when I buy collectibles. Am I biased in my opinion because I bought the card recently and because I love gold stars. Sure!

6 Likes

I agree with your first paragraph, but disagree tremendously with the last one. Not sure how you can say “no organic growth behaves like this.” Pokemon is a LIVE market. Card values are constantly changing.

3 Likes

If it helps i know of at least 3 confirmed sales of psa 9 gs mewtwo ranging from $1000-$1100 in the last couple of weeks. In my opinion a 10 easily falls within the $3/4k region given the price of the 9s.