Unreleased e-Reader cards?

So, I came across some images of cards from the e-era that possibly weren’t ever released? I personally don’t recognize the Pikachu, Pichu, Psyduck, Caterpie, Clefairy etc… There’s also a wall that includes these cards with many of the Pokémon VS cards. Does anyone know more about these?

Image of Pikachu

Image of Pikachu and Spearow

Pikachu, Abra, Spearow, Psyduck, Caterpie, Oddish, Wartortle

All the above minus Wartortle but added Dratini and Mareep

Pikachu, Pichu, and Eevee

Just Pichu

Just Pichu again

Lots of things + Clefairy

A wall of all of them plus VS cards

Clefairy

They all appear to say sample in the corner. These also seem too early for the unreleased Wailmer promo, but I also don’t really know anything about that one either to say anything for sure.

edit: I found more about where the images came from came from link 1, Link 2, link 3, link 4, Link 5

5 Likes

This is a great find! I have never seen them before but they seem identical to the English sample set. Maybe these are the Japanese sample/test cards they used to show off the e-reader technology.

That is awesome! There are definately some unreleased cards I have never seen before! Amazing find :slight_smile:

I have them uploaded on bulbapedia. I hope to work out something there about these cards. Anyway, This page has them. You should hopefully be able to see them there.

1 Like

The first image of the framed promos. Where was this taken?

1 Like

Those cards have a hole on the top right corner so one can waer it like a necklace… so those aren’t normal trading cards… probably they were just made for the staff to wear during the event…

It looks to me like the chains are just to keep them on a display, rather than to make them wearable. That’s fairly common for store or convention displays, at least for video games. Which would make sense that these follow suit.

great find! interesting stuff

1 Like

The english sample cards had identical holes as these. They were worn by the staff during the presentation. They are probably normal cards with holes punched through them just like the english copies.

1 Like

But there is/was an English sample set on ebay and there weren’t any holes in them?.. were there as well versions with holes or what?

1 Like

On the bottom right side I think I can see a “Sample”, so that’s probably what they are.

1 Like

Well, now that we know what they are, what should we do with this information? They appear to have been used at the same sort of event that the english ones were used for.

Something that I find a bit cool is that these cards aren’t actually reprints of cards releasing at the time. They all look to be new. Well…not “new” per say, but different.

1 Like

Wow this brought back memories. If I’m not mistaken one of the old Beckett issues had pictures of these cards. Wish I had my copies with me so I could look back.

1 Like

Sorry to necropost, but we’ve gotten some new members with lots of knowledge, so I was hoping someone could add to this thread (yes, I’m referring to japanime and garyis2000 :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes

I know I’m bringing back a very old topic from the dead, but we completely figured out everything that’s going on with these cards and I wanted to share.

10 Likes

Great research! Thanks so much for sharing!

2 Likes

Why Nintendo, why. If they would have produced more cards like the sample sets in terms of artwork I would have definately been all about that post 2002 collecting life. I mean look at that Wartortle: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wartortle_(Sample_Set) …they are not as polished as the final versions of those sets we got and that’s why I like them…plus they kept the neo elements.

Anyway, thanks for the update! Oh and if anyone comes across that Wartortle I would literally give up an arm…possibly a leg.

2 Likes

Incredible work. This gets my documentation wiener hard.

6 Likes

As long as you don’t give up a kidney.

I know it’s tempting, but it isn’t worth it!

OT: Sweet job with the documentation. Hard to believe there are cards that we are still learning about.

1 Like

I remember seeing an eevee in an auction way back when

1 Like