Unique "Ripped Wing" Base Set Charizard Error

I’m also aware holo lines and factory scratches or whitening are a negative aspect while valuing a card. But in the other hand, crimped cards or miscuts do pump the prices, and they are also factory damage.

Uniqueness can be a very good thing, especially on a Charizard! That particular mark would be really interesting from a variant collecting standpoint, especially if it was reproducible on other unlimited Charizards. I’ve not seen any others like it, but I will keep an eye out for it.

The location does provide some ‘character’. Its very likely a factory production mishap (no evidence of chemical alteration).

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@professoroakcali, No problem, I’m glad you like it. I’m aware that this isn’t an insane holy grail item like a trophy card and that most collectors value condition factored with scarcity above all else. Although, in my opinion this isn’t damage as the surface of the card where the the misprint occurred is flawless condition wise, as the misprint occurred in a printing layer underneath the surface layer. Yes it may not be that cool that the card graded near mint, but I think the uniqueness of this misprint is something that can be appreciated. I probably should have titled it as a misprint rather than an error.

@taylorj , your very welcome!

While I don’t think it was your intention to invoke a discussion on financially “valuing” this card, I can assure you that if the only “flaw” on this card is that print mark and the card is otherwise MINT (especially a PSA 9 level clean holo and no edge wear), its def worth much more than the garden variety PSA 7s.

Value is not something that is decided by talking about it…LOL. Post this PSA 7 on eBay, which you suggest contains a “flawless condition otherwise” with clear pictures and a detailed and accurate description, and I am certain you will see offers that far exceed that of a typical semi-played NM PSA 7 charizard.

Best of luck defending the value of your collection. All charizards are great :blush:

Where did the OP say “flawless condition otherwise”?

I think it’s the “gotta catch em’ all” slogan that got drilled into our heads.

1 Like

You could be right though I understood the opposite, that it was like a PSA 7 and had that flaw to boot.

Unclear atm, perhaps taylorj, can provide clear pictures of the full card front and back. I certainly wouldn’t mind more pics.

Key factors to why you might get a tad bit roasted. I know for a fact you’re trying to raise its popularity for selling at a higher price. To be honest the printing “error” is extremely annoying and I’m sure it’s part of why it received a 7. Send it to BGS maybe they will explain why it won’t qualify for a grade higher than a 7.

2 Likes

As someone who’s worked in factories all my career, I can’t help but see these “factory error” cards as junk that came out wrong.

5 Likes

If you post this to instagram with a few flame emojis I’d bet you could raffle it off for a grand

In! before an E4 burner account comes in to defend this… on another note it does sound plausible.

2 Likes

I hate how the word error is thrown around so much.

This is an unintentional error made during the printing process. In the context of Pokémon, errors occur before they hit print or are subject to different printing processes than were planned.

Examples:

Stage Error Blastoise, this error was due to an oversight in the creation process that was overlooked before it went to print.

Toxapex Texture Error, this error was caused by the SR cards being put to print with the HR version and being given the same texture as the HR.

Random ink dots, missing print, unfinished printing / low ink printing or anything else that happens as a result of a printer or is generally unrepeatable is not an error. That’s a mistake or a misprint. These items tend to have low value due to them having a low eye appeal compared to the regular print.

That’s not to say some people don’t or won’t value them higher, it’s just a market trend where the majority will not.

1 Like

This is a neat one-of card that I actually would value more myself. Too much unnecessary negativity here… I get it’s annoying when people ask the same type questions/blanket statements but it’s good to remember everyone starts somewhere and we should educate not belittle. That being said similar to the above post I would not classify it as an “error” unless multiple copies with the exact same print defect surface on the market.

If you take something like stamp collecting where ‘errors’ lead the market here’s a guide I copy pasted:

Errors: Error stamps have serious visual mistakes that are repeatable, which have come about because of a failure at some stage in the printing process. This means the stamps do not appear as intended and, as a result, are very scarce.

Freaks: Freaks have minor variations or less serious defects, caused by a one-time error in the stamp production process, which make the stamp unusable. Unlike major errors, which are much more desirable to collectors, they do not massively boost the value of a stamp although the most visually striking examples are worth a little bit more.

3 Likes

Let me attempt to make a nuanced post on the internet.

First, it’s possible to hold multiple ideas at once: I personally think this is negligible damage, but I support anyone collecting whatever they desire.

The “negativity” here isn’t pointless, it is a litmus test of the market reality; most people don’t care. If this was more consistent, and/or it significantly affected the design (d edition butterfree), it would have much more appeal and significance.

Ultimately this is damage, which isn’t consistent, and doesn’t add anything aesthetically. Whether it was done in a factory or second hand is negligible.

Again, collect what you enjoy. But the “negativity” is simply a reflection of the market reality, which is completely fine.

6 Likes

I’m not referring to people saying this won’t add value. But there are posts on this thread that are snarky for the sole purpose of being snarky.

If I was new to collecting and really excited about an “error” card and wanted to share, and got these replies, I would not return to the forum.

Is this an error card? No, and that should be explained, but plenty of collectors have hyper-niche interests, and this is pretty clearly different from holo scratches that occur post-production. Even if it was 100% a worthless acetone scratch… we can just say “sorry it’s not worth anything special it’s purposeful damage” instead of making fun of OP.

2 Likes

I think one of the issues is the original post reads like a shopping channel script. Someone trying to pump a card they own. That reddit screenshot supports this

If you’re just going to come here to try to get people excited to buy something you own, you’re gonna have a bad time

12 Likes

It is certainly over the top. However I remember pulling a crimped card in like 2008 and posting to PokeGym about it in an equally excited manner.

I should add… there are plenty of people very into the fact that their 1st Ed. stamp was created when the stamp was low on ink… something something glass houses.

3 Likes

That helps the point I was trying to make earlier. The stamp variations have more consistency. They are more discernible. Where one off esoteric misprints are just that, one offs.

Also I think your experience is a bit of a conflation. OP and their other account are hyping this here and reddit. If anything the “negativity” is partly a response to the inorganic pump attempt. If the approach was more curiosity rather than forcing everyone to validate their hype, it would be better received.

5 Likes