" 1 of a kind" error charizard graded by cgc

This popped up in a fb group, not mine!
Thoughts?

Here are the helpful pictures :wink:

8 Likes

Thank you! Tapatalk is down for me

1 Like

All you have to know is there are no “one of a kind errors“ that are missing any center layer.

9 Likes

This card has been around for ages. It’s lacking the inner layer. The layer that should be present on all authentic wotc cards. I’ve handled it in person and done the light test at worlds. I believe it was denied by PSA a long time ago.

13 Likes

Glad you didn’t choose the bend test like Rudy xD

1 Like

cgc grading a non-authentic card and labelling it so it looks like a one of a kind unique card is a big yikes

6 Likes

I think it’s realistic to expect that since CGC is coming into its own with grading, that it’ll come across certain issues or errors like this early on. Better now than later and not run into the debacle of grading fakes that long-established grading companies still seem to have an issue with. **coughcoughallofthemcoughcough*

2 Likes

I like to think we all know there’s a bit more that goes into authenticity than a simple light test.

Here’s CGC Cards guarantee:

www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-guarantee/

CGC also hired a professional consultant specifically for Pokemon TCG.

At this point is anyone actually surprised Professional Sports Authenticators didn’t grade the card?

I’ve also held the card and heard the story: collector opened a box & every holo was like this.

To me, this is the riskiest card CGC has graded. I’m incredibly surprised. Cards in these categories can make or break a brand.

The card has a lot of things going for it and a few red flags. Some will believe the owner and believe it’s real, some will be against it. CGC putting their name behind it is too bold on a card like this. Demonstrate consistency before jumping on cards PSA & BGS have denied.

19 Likes

Can someone explain the concern here? That it is the most convincing fake ever just without a holo layer? I’m confused by the comments. Thanks!

@two, if a card does not pass the light test, there’s no need for further inspection to authenticate it as it will be a fake. Same thing for the rosetta pattern.

1 Like

@kaldoverde , Exactly, the card passed the light test by CGC or it wouldn’t be in a holder

2 Likes

The owner has been trying to sell this for years but every seasoned collector knows it lacks the inner layer and didn’t pass the light test. Ie it’s not authentic. No matter what plastic surrounds the card.

4 Likes

The person CGC hired as a consultant also felt the card at worlds and agreed it wasn’t authentic.

2 Likes

I actually wasn’t involved in the grading of this one, since I’m not traveling due to COVID.

The paper and the ink are both identical to Base 2. Each layer of the construction is identical. The card was aggressively tested for tampering and it passed in every way.

I think that the real question is: “Why is this a big deal?”

Its a wotc card missing the foil. If it wasn’t a charizard, no one would give a shit.

CGC ran the tests. Slightly more advanced than a feel or light test, which is what I would have had on the fly. Haha It checks out. It’s in a slab with a qualifier. If it isn’t legit, then someone mastered fakes over 10 years ago, never struck twice in the same place, and managed to not crash the market for the cards. That seems a lot more farfetch’d than another wotc card with something weird added to the pile.

33 Likes

Would the missing holo layer be the inner plastic layer people are referring to that would block light in a light test?

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in Charlie. The card does have a lot going for it, however it is a peculiar card. The main point is CGC deemed it to be authentic then also decided to put their name behind it. I believe the card is able to pass several tests, but to back the card as well is the major takeaway. It’s less about this card specifically and more about what CGC is willing to do moving forward. It’s a bold approach in my opinion.

4 Likes

As if I’m not scouring the internet right now for a Base 2 Chansey without the holo, LOL!

9 Likes