This has to be a fake 1st Edition Charizard, right?

Happy New Year to everyone!

I was looking through Ebay yesterday and saw a listing for a pristine 1st Edition Charizard for 4k (the listing ended this morning):

ebay.us/tu9W7x

I was surprised to see this card selling for a relatively low price when it looked like it was in good condition at first glance. Then I looked at the photos in the listing meticulously and immediately became skeptical:

I don’t own any English Pokemon cards from base set but the locations of the shadowing and shadowless areas in the front of the card looks incorrect. Specifically, the shadowless border seems to extent too far. The back of the card looks dull, doesn’t appear to have any glossy finish, and looks like it has an odd texture. Also, the whole in the “P” looks white instead of being black and blue (something that @rattlebear mentioned to look out for in fake cards in his video about a fake Gold Star Charizard).

Even the seller’s story sounds strange. Apparently, their brother found this pristine and rare card in a basement and just gave it to them to sell? The seller seems aware that they could grade the card and sell for a higher price but needs money immediately for moving?

I’m leaning towards fake but I could be completely wrong (maybe it’s a printing issue and the back looks strange due to lighting or it’s a rare variant I wasn’t aware of). Thoughts?

1 Like

yeah thats fake, not even looking at the colors or anything the 1st ed stamp is not in the correct spot

Looking at real 1st ed stamps there is not that big of a gap between the gold text box of “flame pokemon” and the stamp’s right edge

3 Likes

Definitely fake

2 Likes

Ok, I thought this card looked off. Pretty brazen to put a sketchy, fake story in the description for your fake card listing. I guess they thought it would add legitimacy for the low price?

1 Like

The hope is that someone falls for the story and is convinced it’s a real card. It only has to convince 1 person.

1 Like

f a k e

1 Like

Yeah, I imagine that the seller is trying to deceive with the description. It’s just odd the way they word it. It’s as if they are trying to feign ignorance about the rarity and desirability of the card but at the same time they come across as someone who knows what’s up.

Same one or a similar one is also for sale on an app called Vinted, which some of my european fellows might know,with the seller trying to pass it off as real

2 Likes

Wow, putting the same fake listing on multiple platforms. I wonder how good fakes will get in the future. There are some Pokemon cards that are obviously fake due to misspellings, having the incorrect Pokemon name on the card, or being far too dull or lacking texture. However, there are some fakes that you have to meticulously examine in order to spot out the flaws. Of course with modern cameras, sellers can use lighting, angles, and editing to their advantage.

MtG fakes have been getting wilder and wilder. I think that the thing keep Pokemon ones from being almost spotless is the holo patterns (most likely for now)

Lol “I have a 10-20k card but I definitely can’t wait the 2 weeks for grading so I’ll just sell it for 70% off”

3 Likes

This is a stupidly bad fake…

Exactly my thinking! You happen to stumble upon a highly sought after card in “pristine” condition yet you sell it far below market value because you cant wait?

There are some crazy fake Pokemon cards. This fake trophy kangaskhan is one of the worst I’ve seen if it was paid: ebay.us/91Putu

The holo pattern is the exact same as my psa 10 I have listed on ebay.

The bid history on this one is hilarious, 0 and 5 feedback accounts shilled it up for a 4 feedback seller.

That’s so crazy, I stared at that for like 5 minutes and still dont think I’d be able to tell it was faked…

Sorry for capturing the thread. I stumpled upon this

ebay.us/o02VOI

Seems original, right? On the last pictures, the holo pattern looks off though. What do you all think?

@pokemondanni The holo indeed looks off and this is definitely to good to be true. and if it is to good to be true it probably is.

1 Like

very fake.

1 Like

Got it! Just seems like a good copy then compared to op’s.