Unique "Ripped Wing" Base Set Charizard Error

Just my opinion ofc, I know something about printing process and ink pattern and card authentication, but I’m not an expert on the subject.

@mads, If you view the photo of the ink pattern I just uploaded you can see that this is how it came from the factory, if it was altered with acetone the ink pattern would be wiped away where the error is.

1 Like

@taylorj,Okay, buddy. I just called my buddy, who is also a printing expert and he said this: The scratch defect, ups I meant printing error is totally correct and you’re sitting on a million dollar card. So congratulations with the nice score

As fair my understanding goes, foil cards are printed differently than regular cards. They do get an extra layer of ink before the regular colours so when the CMYK is printed on it, it will allow the holo to show or not. This layer can be fully applied (no holo shows) or be on a scale so it allows part of the holo to be seen. In this case (just imo) what happened was somehow indeed a particle was on the way of that underprinting layer and it made a hole in it, not allowing this “mask” to be fully applied. Then when the ink patterns were printed, as there is no layer to support it, it was just printed on top of the holo as OP ink pattern photo shows, making it impossible (again, imo) to replicate outside of a WOTC printer.

Edit: I attach the OP photo of the ink pattern on top of the holo

Personally I don’t see the value in the “ripped wing”. For me it devalues the card. Goodluck to you though! Maybe someone will share your appreciation.

Yeah, what you are saying involving the printing process is bringing back to memory the conversation I had with the printing expert a few years ago that I had mentioned, and what you are saying is pretty much exactly what they had said.

Yeah, I think that it gives the Charizard great personality and it is quite mesmerizing seeing the holo peek through the hole in person. I had attached a video of the holo shifting under the hole.

It’s a cool card and a very nice finding. Thanks for sharing it. Don’t be upset by people not caring at all, even if it’s a charizard, misprint market is kind of a nitch. Hope you can find someone who appreciates this kind of stuff, I think it’s very cool and personally would pay extra for an error like this, even if it’s not an “extreme” misprint.

1 Like

“Hey bud/buddy/friend/pal, what’s the lowest you’ll take?”

1 Like

Kind of cool, I don’t see it commanding a huge premium though

1 Like

People will do anything to claim OMG ERROR ONLY ONE IN EXISTENCE :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Why so many salty members? XD

Every week there is a “unique 1/1 error”, which are typically just a negligible ink blot or damage. More power to the owner if they enjoy the card, but it most likely won’t affect market value.

6 Likes

It’s odd to see the distint differences between sports card collecting and Pokemon collecting. In Pokemon there seems to be a premium paid for ink stains,blobs, and dots. These are completely frowned upon in the sports world. Also, noticed a premium for oc cards, which also knocks the value on the sports side.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I don’t know any other hobby that values OC more than pokemon!

1 Like

Ofc I’m aware, but it’s better to inform the OP about it being a minor negligible misprint, than to post a cocky comment. If OP doesn’t understand and claims blindly that it’s a holy grail, that’s his problem tho. But no sense being rude from the beggining. And I do deal with this stuff since 2008.

Well, MTG has a big market for misprints even negligible ones. So each community it’s own.

Not sure it matters when the defect happened. It’s still a defect that negatively affects the condition. Pretty soon we’ll be talking about pack scratches on the foil and the more scratches the higher the value lol.

3 Likes

It may suit a misprint collector and may even pay a bit more for it. To overall public, it doesnt matter and it’s a problem, so they will offer less. He just needs to find the right person if he wants some extra for this, but I won’t say it doesn’t matter when the damage is done, because if it happened within the wotc printers, it’s considered a misprint.