Haunter - Fossil - 1st edition with Ink Smear

Hi,

does anybody know how rare this error is on the 1st edition and its potential worth. can’t seem to find any sources on the internet.

I’ve only seen the error on unlimited as far as the blue/purple ink smear on the right side. I have heard of a similar error as the Hitmonlee on the left side (and a smaller smear) that is orange. It would make sense that one is only on the 1st edition version. Ever since I heard of it, I have not seen one. Price would depend on grade. I would assume a decent price (>$60 regardless of condition) since they’re not being talked about and have not appeared much.

Same here, I’ve only ever heard or seen it on Unlimited prints.

I own 4-5. all are unlimited. Every print I’ve seen has been unlimited. I’m confident it doesn’t exist in 1st edition.

@gemmintpokemon @scratchdesk @tony I own a 1st edition one. It’s got smugde/shadowy effect of central left side of card. Ill upload pick later.

1 Like

@1by1collector would like to see it, but the one we are talking about is this one:

Its a different type of error. I’ve seen one in my life many years ago. Have been digging through google with no luck. I guess it’s a one of a kind error or extremely rare. It has ink deficciencies on the left side of card on the text error that spills into the holo. I’m on my way too work and will be able to upload in about 9 hours time.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to find an ink smear holo haunter to buy recently <___> what a relevant topic

1 Like

I’m still willing to buy that. message me?

wow those offers are crazy high. this card routinely goes $20-$30 NM. I know it’s a 9 but damn

I haven’t seen any for $20-30 in a long time. The last that I saw on ebay ~ 6 months ago were trending around $60 in roughly Nm condition. I agree though, $200 is a very significant offer :flushed:

I just bought two NM copies off eBay for $30 a piece a week ago. I snagged them pretty quickly so you probably didn’t get a chance to see them.

1 Like

I didn’t. Great finds!

Attachment Deleted

Attachment Deleted

There it is ladies amd gentlemen. Been collecting since '99 and i think i remember seeing a pic once.

Got it in a bulk lot so i think im pretty lucky. Card has no scratches, is on center. Only issues us the notorious wotc silvering edge wear. Looks like psa9 or 8 to me. Would like to your opinion on worth.

Very nice card! It appears to have the same defect as the 1st edition Hitmonlee ink error, so they’re likely related. I have seen one other like yours about 2 years ago and none since, though the one that appeared had a larger defect area. As for value that is relative… the Hitmonlee error sells pretty consistently for ~$50 ungraded EX-NM, but PSA 8-9 copies have sold for $140 and up. I’d be comfortable valuing it at $60-$80 as it is. Maybe more to the right person! It’s a neat one :blush:

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. With the hitmonlee error, there is almost always one listed on ebay. I feel this is much rarer and would therefore fetch a much higher price.

You’re welcome! And I hope for your sake it does.

The ink smears remind me of using rubbing alcohol on alcohol based ink. It creates a similar color distortion. Not what happened to these cards, it’s just what it looks like in my mind.

Pretty neat card. I agree with @jkanly as far as value goes as well. You could get more to the right collector but in my eyes there is a big difference between one off errors/ misprints like your card and cards that have a run with the same issue. Cards with known printing defects are more commonly searched and collected thus demand is significantly higher. In the end though it only takes a couple people fighting over it to push the value up.

Hi all, i’ve listed it on ebay at an exhorbirant price. Let’s what offers, if any, do i get.

m.ebay.com/itm/Haunter-Holo-Pokemon-Fossil-1st-Edition-Error-Card-Extremely-Rare-/192148700359?hash=item2cbcf47cc7%3Ag%3AGKQAAOSw3utY5BRP&_trkparms=pageci%253A6c266d56-1982-11e7-bfb3-74dbd1a0979a%257Cparentrq%253A3afdc33215b0a785043a753afffcdd33%257Ciid%253A1