Typhlosion #17 PSA 10

Not really in the market for one - but this card intrigues me as I’ve never seen one come up on the market. What do you guys think this card can realistically fetch?

I would go as far to say that 8k+ isn’t that farfetched due to pure scarcity and I’m sure there are big dogs out there that need the card for set registry’s that will push the card way up

Guess I should’ve bumped a post from 2017 - my bad

Eh, I’m not sure anyone would pay $8,000 for a set card that isn’t 1st Edition Base Set Charizard. Maybe $3,000?

Umm no it’s at least a 5k card and I could see it going higher

I get that it’s impossible to grade, but that’s a lotttt for a set card.

1 Like

Where’s the cheaper option?

9 Likes

I think you misinterpret “set card” and the reason they don’t see promo/trophy card prices. This card hits those tiers because of the scarcity of the grade. You can say oh there will always be Typhlosion 17s on the market because they’ve been printed as a set card but you will NEVER be able to say there will always be a 10 on the market and likely will never be 2 at the same time as the charizard 1st ed has recently seen.

Let’s talk about printing:

• Some cards are printed with a black dot above the resistances at the bottom of the card = automatic 8 for majority
  • Neo genesis print lines = good luck
  • red dot error next to set symbol = if noticed could be deducted but have see atleast 2 receive 10s with this
  • a lot are noticeably off centered
    ——————
    Now this is noticeable by the lowest 10 rate of almost any Pokémon card, even though it is a set card.

Now take into the fact the card is 18 years old. How many more 10 candidates are you going to see? I’d venture to say there will be less than 10 per year and declining year after year (totally pulling this out of my arse)

So - this card even though it is a set card should not act like one on the market.

Which types of collectors does it hit (PSA 10)

• WOTC 1st ed collectors
  • Species collectors
  • Set completionist
  • rarity/scarcity collectors
  • investors
  • “rookie card” collectors

Edit: my bad - I meant to quote cerulean. I’m on mobile too much

2 Likes

All good points.

I think it’s a card that could fetch $5k+ easily. However, I see it having very little growth potential and high risk.

Low pop set cards are a dangerous area to dabble in. It only takes a few more 10s for a nose dive in price.

5 Likes

Charizard has multiple copies on eBay and still sells for $40k. If this card had 100+ copies graded and multiple on eBay, it would be worth a couple hundred dollars. There’s no comparison at all.

All set cards hit the first three categories you mentioned.
Are there scarcity collectors? Rarity collectors wouldn’t collect this card.
Investors most likely wouldn’t collect this card.
This is the second set of rookie cards, so I’d expect 1st edition base to outpace Neo Genesis.

1 Like

Yes - don’t get me wrong. Never would I ever imagine that it would outpace a 1st ed charizard psa 10. And I’m all in on 1st ed base being king forever and always I’m just speculating because we don’t know and probably won’t know for a little bit.

Charizard and Typhlosion are totally different agree. Typhlosion isn’t even in the ballpark as far as iconic presence and popularity. As far as bringing Charizard into this equation I was saying it because even the highest of end has had multiple on eBay at the same time. This card hasn’t had one since like what 2016?

And it does hit the rarity category for the grade. 6/368 = a sub 2% gem Mint rate. So that’s rare. The card itself under any other condition absolutely not, you’re right “set card”.

And I realize that better on set cards is tough but let’s lok at these statistics - since April 2018 There has been graded:
10: 1 (5/29/2018)
9: 51
8: 74
7: 17

• so while you potentially have a neo revelation Raikou situation - it seems highly unlikely. Also take into account no one is breaking open neo genesis boxes due to the risk of print lines

But I’m just doing this purely for the sake of discussion as it has intrigued me. I have no skin in the game and likely will never. I appreciate the responses!

1 Like

All excellent points mate, another one is that you can’t even settle for the cheaper option of art work in the unlimited psa 10 because even that is only pop 2. So you are talking about a card that is in a set card that is near impossible to find as a 10 on the market in either versions of the art.

What would you value the unlimted version at?

Honestly, did not even know this. That’s wild. I don’t have the slightest clue but evaluating markets always can be broken down to simply supply and demand. Like unlimited Charizard is generally always on the market (maybe not for auction but it is there) and it garners 1k+ now it has a much higher demand than a Typhlosion and especially being that shadowless and 1st are way out of people’s price range. But this having a pop of 2 shows no supply but I don’t know the demand. I could see 1k

Unfortunately, it’s one of only two cards preventing me from completing this set in PSA 10 . . . I will probably never own a 10, though I have personally bought about a dozen raw cards over the years, with most being 8’s at best.

2 Likes

Im currently doing the genesis psa 10 unlimited holo set and i was lucky enough to pick one up a while back. Ill say its a stunning card. But it does make me wonder what it would fetch if i ever did try and sell. I think gemmintpokemon owns the only other copy so i dont see his ever going into the market either.

9 Likes

TCA opened 4 heavy 1st edition Neo Genesis packs today and pulled a #17 Typhlosion and 2 Slowkings. Pretty insane. Unfortunately the Typhlosion won’t be a 10.

5 Likes

Exactly why this is so hard to obtain. Neo Genesis is just a ridiculously hard set to grade.

^^^The only two that I still need . . . and why I need them! Those two are next to impossible to grade 10’s. I did personally grade Meganium (#10), Pichu, and two Lugia’s in PSA 10 over the years though. Those ones are also pretty tough to grade! :sunglasses:

1 Like

My word they are stunning cards. Genesis has the best holo cards imo.

2 Likes

I have literally send sooooo many of these in, never gotten a 10. Neo Genesis is so hard to grade if you compare it to other sets.

As for price tag, I am pretty confident this card is valued over 5k at the moment, even a year back people were offering 3k for the card and I haven’t seen any up for sale since then.

Pop is extremely low and it’s a lovely card aesthetic wise, would love to own one someday

1 Like

I bet a completionist would pay $10k for a copy if the pop report for 10s doesn’t increase for a while