To all you veteran members on here

Welcome to the forum! Always happy to see another Species collector.

I have a few faves but one that I can’t seem to shut up about (I’m so sorry) is my signed 1997 May calendar by the artist, Kagemaru Himeno.

Her and Komiya have been my favorites for years and I was a huge fan of her earlier work. Getting to spend the event with friends, witness amazing experiences, meet and speak to her lead to an incredible memory. I brought a bunch of Gyarados memorabilia of her art and we spent like 10 minutes talking about it. She asked if I only collected Gyarados and when I confirmed, she said “Gyaradosu, Gyaradosu, Gyaradosu” for every heart she drew on the calendar. Her contact lens also fell on my card when she was first signing it which led to a hilarious conversation. It was only when I was at the airport waiting to get home did I realize she never personalized the calendar.

Getting to spend that time with new and old friends was literally a life highlight and I always go back to the experience as a whole when I look at it.

23 Likes

Thats awesome! My wifes gonna love that one too. Ive never owned an auto before but i did have a conversation with uri geller via email trying to get him to sign my skyridge and 151 kadabras, no dice though.

What is that postcard from?!

HA Thats wild! Great story! That would be such a cool memory im glad you shared!

1 Like

My favorite card is my masaki gengar. I bought it cuz I thought it was cool. knew nothing about it, but It was not expensive at the time, and clearly more rare than some other things. I enjoyed it. Great holo pattern, solid 8 or 9 condition. I’m tempted to grade it, but I just can’t justify selling it, and that’s the only reason I’d grade it. haha :sweat_smile: But honestly, it reminds me that I need to enjoy collecting, value be damned, because at the time, this was not valuable. Yet, I still enjoyed it immensely.

Still, if I ever get Arita to sign a FRLG squirtle, that’ll likely be my favorite… :grin:

21 Likes

Love the simplicity in the buy. Such a good purchase

1 Like

Are you referring to the ‘Special Card’?
It was a postcard given to people with a certain amount of points in the Fan Club back in 2000 or 1999… I really don’t know enough about it lol.

The product with the munchlax is actually a storybook. Super rare with only 200 copies printed.
You can find all the art and contents on pokemon 's YouTube channel!!

9 Likes

Yes this one! Thanks for sharing, it’s extremely cool.

Though 200 copies is disappointingly low🥲

Cheating and posting 4 cards but they are a set

17 Likes

Woah thats bad a$$!

1 Like

Favorite part of my collection is this PSA 10 Charizard Mega Battle Greninja. It is my favorite Greninja art. I originally bought it as a CGC 8 because I figured I would never get a PSA 10 version due to the cost of it. After sometime, I decided to crack it out and submit it to PSA. Super happy that it managed to hit a 10! Its the centerpiece of my Greninja collection.

5 Likes

What’s the story behind the card?

I don’t know if I’d consider myself a “veteran” as I only started posting on here a couple years ago, but anyway I’ve been collecting on and off since I was a kid. I’d say my favourite overall card at this point is my 1st Ed English Charizard.

Even for a PSA 5 the holo is in great shape to me. Has a good amount of whitening on the back, but nothing too bad overall. I would have loved to have most cards in this condition back then:

2 Likes

I always liked this Aerodactyl and wanted one growing up. It was one of the first cards I purchased when I got back into the hobby. I still have my Pokémon price guidebook from 2004 that has a bunch of high quality scans of cards that I would stare at for hours as a kid. This book really cemented my love for ex era, as much of the book consisted of those cards. It’s neat to think that over 15 years later I would purchase the Aerodactyl that I stared at many times. The book prices are not that accurate now I’m afraid.

12 Likes

From Bulbapedia-

In Japan, it was released as an unnumbered Holofoil XY-P Promotional card and awarded to those who accumulated 7 Play Points by participating in various events held as part of the Charizard Mega Battle, held at the Pacifico Yokohama, Yokohama on the weekend of May 3-4, 2014, and at Intex Osaka, Osaka on the weekend of May 17-18, 2014. Eligible events included the Tag Battle, the Mega Charizard VS Battle, the One Day Battle, and the Gym Leader Challenge, all of which were held on the second day of each weekend.

2 Likes

This is awesome! I love collecting oddball products, and this is right up my alley.

1 Like

My forever favorite pieces in my collection are my first edition Dragonite, Blastoise and Gyarados cards that simply bring me back to my my childhood whenever I look at them.

I was an exclusively English collector up until a few years ago and now the Japanese floodgates have opened. I don’t know why I never looked into Japanese cards before, but I have fallen in love with different exclusive promos that have unique stories behind them. For instance, the Masaki promos, from the Communication Evolution Campaign, had such a fun concept in how they distributed those cards to fans. My two personal favorite JPN promos are the Grand Party (Trainer Certification Card) promo and the University Magikarp. I’m never going to be able to afford the original one, so the Web reprint is probably the best I’m going to do.

Apart from loving the artwork on both of these (Magikarp using Dragon Rage is just fun!), I love the backstories behind how they were distributed to fans. There is a wholesome element to kids/fans going to these Pokemon events in person and participating, learning about the game, and interacting with others. I lived in a small city growing up and never had the opportunity to go and participate in any of these types of events. When I learned about these different promos and the fan events that were put on for them, I felt nostalgic for events that I never got to experience as a kid. The late 90’s were a magical time for the Pokemon TCG and new fans entering the hobby, and I’m not sure they can come close to being able to replicate that magic nowadays. I just think of the chaos that ensued for the Van Gogh Pikachu. We all have different reasons for collecting but the memories and joys that these cards brought me as a kid is the reason I love to keep exploring and hunting down new cards today.

If you love promo cards, like me, this website does an amazing job going through the English and Japanese promo timelines and provides photos/backstories on the special events that were held when these were distributed to fans. Timeline - Pokumon

15 Likes

mine would have to be my unlimited base blastoise. not a huge cardi know, but it was the card I pulled from my very first pack. I was so excited and tried to keep it in as good condition as possible. Back then we just stuck cards in our pockets to take to the playground wrapped in elastic bands haha. I got it graded 2 years ago just for the nostalgia and it came back a PSA 8! Not bad considering.

3 Likes

One of my favourites! Just sent my holo to psa, hoping for a 9 you have exquisite taste Candle

5 Likes

My favourite pieces though, Arita’s feraligatr just does it for me, has everything you want from a classic! And the t17 was a birthday pickup i found on ebay that I had graded

9 Likes