The PWCC Megathread

No longer will I ignore the cgc 9.5s whilst trawling through pwcc. I’d punt a bonsly to get that growlithe for just over $10

11 Likes

12 Likes

It’s for the greater good little guy…

1 Like

How many cards really deserve to be slabbed in the first place?

Even vintage cards, when the grades are below an 8 why even bother? Even 8 is pushing it.

And then you have 10s of common cards - valuable to species/artist/niche collectors but junk to everyone else. 70,000 of 5ban Charizard Vs with 40,000 10s, sounds like a junk slab to me.

1 Like

What are we using as a definition of a junk slab exactly?

Typically a slab that doesn’t get any bids. And/or something that isn’t worth the grading fee. The latter can be more subjective, as there are common set cards that will be cheap but necessary for set completion. But there are just a lot of cards that have no added value graded.

2 Likes

There are definitely cards not worth grading, yes. But “vintage below an 8 grade” definitely there are lots of cards worth grading. A vintage set unlimited common - no. Most other things vintage, IMO yes.

My opinion of a junk slab is a slab of a card where the holder doesn’t add enough value to have made the grading fee worthwhile. Even for vintage, from my experience, a card with nice scans or photographs will sometimes push the value higher than what an 8 would get. That is not to say that the card in the holder is bad, or that the purchase is bad; it’s just that the card is in a pointless piece of plastic. A junk slab does not equate to a junk card.

If a card sells for below the cost of grading then someone has effectively paid you to take the slab from them. Pure junk

I know some people are slighted by the term “junk slab”. I think it’s healthy to understand that you may enjoy a card that few others would. “One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.” I myself have many junk slabs in my collection

6 Likes

It’s good to also remember though that what could be considered a junk slab today doesn’t mean it will always be. There are psa 8-7-6-5 vintage slabs that today might not be worth it but that I’d be surprised if over the long term they were still at those low prices. So much flies under the radar. In general, if Pokemon continues to do well, long term, lower grades for some things (not all) will become more valuable as 9s and 10s become out of reach for many. 7/8 is still a mint card.

If we’re thinking of todays cost only, sure. But I have cards I’d put in slabs that, yeah if I we’re to sell immediately I might not make money. But most of what I buy is not for immediate sell, it’s to hold. But I may be different. Basically, I’m always looking at slabs in terms of future value.

1 Like

While I agree that someday some junk slabs may not be junk slabs in the future, calling 7s and 8s mint cards is a bit of a stretch as anything below a 7 gets into LP territory. Additionally, I can tell whether something is likely to be a 7 or 8 from photographs alone, at which point I don’t really care about the card being encapsulated and I’d pay similarly as much for a raw copy; I’m sure there’s a similar sentiment among many collectors here. There’s still plenty of 7s and 8s for classic set cards yet to be submitted, and I believe any uptrends will be readily met with new submissions for quite a while. Even at $10/card, I do not think I would submit vintage holo and classic ex if I were to expect 7s and 8s. This doesn’t mean they’re bad cards to own, it just doesn’t seem worth it.

1 Like

Am I the only one annoyed of these collection? I really don’t care about Chumlee, if anything I would pay less for a slab with that title.

9 Likes

A pair of pliers and a flathead screwdriver solves that problem :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah makes sense! I’m only saying mint going by PSA:
PSA 7 - NM
PSA 8 - NM - M
PSA 9 - M
PSA 10 - GEM MT

I have no invoices but I’m getting this email?

2 Likes

Same, its probably just an error

3 Likes

Same boat haha chumlee :chart_with_downwards_trend::chart_with_downwards_trend::chart_with_downwards_trend:

Someone with sticky fingers in accounting hit send all instead of just send :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I have an idea of how to deal with all these junk slabs.
Think of them as lottery tickets. Each auction a few are randomly chosen to be the winning tickets with a prize attached to them. If every card auctioned including good stuff had an even chance of winning something good watch them fly out.

You just described Whatnot

15 Likes