The Giant English Market Thread

Holy crap did 1st ed really deflate that much? The entire set sold for less than the zard is worth alone.

1 Like

For 1st Ed. Base, weā€™re almost at the pre-Logan Paul prices for many cards. It was clear that it was going to retrace from the highs, but Iā€™m pretty surprised to see that pretty much all of the gains have eroded.

4 Likes

I dunno why people are sending expensive Pokemon things to Goldin though,

Goldin sucks

4 Likes

People want that sports collector money

Goldin was a poor choice lol; whoever won it can piece it out to make money imo

1 Like

If, as you say, there are much cheaper options. Just buy those instead of trying to convince some seller to sell at 35% of their asking price because itā€™s ā€˜fmvā€™

Any thoughts on new federal legislation, INFORM Consumers Act, including a provision attempting to re-classify sellers based on total sales and customers ā€” $5K or more to >= 200 buyers ā€” which is lower than the current requirements.

I assume this is for tax purposes, and economic affects aside (Iā€™ll leave moderation to the powers that be - mods, Gods, Arceus, whoever) what kinds of effects do you all think will come of this within our little corner of the eBay/small business market? Decrease in availability? Decrease in appeal of selling? No effect because $5K is not a low enough bar?

1 Like

People on this forum just seem to really hate the term ā€˜bubbleā€™ lol. Which I can understand ā€” itā€™s pretty hyperbolic. That said, I think it clearly does apply to Base Set given that it quadrupled in value overnight and now is back to what it was before.

The only thing that was surprising to me was how much itā€™s retraced. I didnā€™t think that things were going to literally retrace back to pre-Logan Paul prices. I thought that the event would have some sort of enduring impact.

And with a PSA PokĆ©mon card backlog in the millions (most of which is Base Set + modern), I donā€™t think weā€™re finished yet, either. For a certain segment of the market, Iā€™d bet that we havenā€™t seen anything yet. I think we all know what the PokĆ©mon card backlog at PSA consists of. And itā€™s not gem mint 1st Ed. WotC/EX.

8 Likes

I sold my first card thru goods and services. It was delivered Friday but my money is still on hold. How long does this process take? Thinking about only selling on Tcgplayer after this because I was depending on it clearing by today at the latest. It says they pay one day after delivery but clearly thatā€™s not true

This is probably because you didnā€™t sell on GS before, PayPal wonā€™t keep the money ā€œfor security reasonsā€ anymore when you sold a couple more times. The buyer can confirm arrival of the goods so you receive your money instantly - usually the tracking should do that automatically but sometimes it didnā€™t work for me like it didnā€™t for you here. Over the two dozen or so times Iā€™ve sold over PayPal only, issues like this only got less frequent with time.

3 Likes

Not sure what the dollar amount was, but I bought from some first time PayPal sellers who had their funds held for a month or so even when I was doing all I could from my end to help expedite that. PayPal will look for tracking to show as delivered and also the buyer to ā€œmark as receivedā€ and verify to some extent that the transaction was successful. The times where it took really long in my experiences was when the amount was $10k+ and it is very likely the seller was just missing requests from their end to get it all finalized.

Iā€™d go into PayPal and make sure your account is fully updated. Verify e-mail, phone numbers and whatever else they want. If the dollar amount requires it (which for next year is only $600 in gross sales, this year $20k AND 200 transactions) you may have to upload a government ID and provide your SSN. If you are going to be requesting an ACH payout, get your bank connected and verified. Specific to the transaction make sure you upload tracking and get in touch with the buyer if they received and ask them to see if there is anything PayPal is requesting from that end for them to mark it as ā€œall clearā€ essentially.

Sometimes buyers have to manually confirm a package has arrived on their PayPal. As a buyer, that happened a few times before for me. I would just message the buyer to ask if they could confirm its arrival on their PayPal so you will receive the money, assuming the tracking was correct and they did indeed receive it (sometimes itā€™s marked as delivered, but still at the local post office for pickup). In most cases this should happen automatically through PayPal, but this isnā€™t always the case for some reason. The buyer also wonā€™t get any notification from PayPal, so I would advice to send them a message as seller yourself, to make them aware of this.

Greetz,
Quuador

Thanks yā€™all. I messaged the buyer to confirm with PayPal. I was just aggravated for it still being on hold so sorry for my rant. I also should have prepared better so I wasnā€™t depending on it clearing. It also triggered that old anxiety button and Iā€™m two days from payday from my job. It was just spending money for next few days

1 Like

Reminder that the attempted ā€œcensorshipā€ ie. Automatically converting the word bubble ā†’ bubblebath (which happened before I was a mod, otherwise I would not have stood for this OPRESSION) happened at the beginning of May 2020.

You can see for yourself.
www.elitefourum.com/t/are-we-in-a-little-bubble-for-psa-cards/27132/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/are-we-in-a-bubble/26973/1

This is the price trend for Unlimited base holos, the line is when the bubblebath joke became a thing

Letā€™s not try to revise history. The Great Bubblebath Debate happened 5 months before Logan Paulā€™s box opening. When we get back to 2019 prices, maybe then the bubblebathers can claim a victory.

7 Likes

What are peoples thoughts on the state of prices right now for PSA 9 1st Ed WOTCs?

This has always been my value buy, basically having almost flawless cards at a fraction of the price of 10s however its tough to justify purchasing when we are facing downward pressure and it doesnt seem like the PSA Populations are relenting in 9 grades.

Slowking from Neo in a 1st Ed for example has I think 5 copies going through in this PWCC auction block, this is a lot tbh and when checking the pops it only seems to be increasing. The prices however are pretty strong too so definitely a tricky one!

I think that is important to note that a lot of people that came in and paid at the peak, for them, certainly is a bubble. If you had years in the hobby, most likely you couldnā€™t care less for retraces since your entry price point was so low that you know, most likely, they wonā€™t go back to those prices (unless something very unusual happens).

3 Likes

Oh sorry about that, I will mark it as arrived. I didnā€™t know that was an issue

1 Like

Considering that 4XXX and 5XXX cert 9ā€™s often have the same and sometimes even better quality than 2XXX cert 10ā€™s, Iā€™d say thereā€™s value in them specifically.

4 Likes

I agree with you about base cards being in a bubble. A bubble bursting isnā€™t a bad thing unless you were looking for a quick flip and bought near the top. I prefer to make purchases when the market is in a period of stability. Iā€™ve held off from purchasing my favorite cards which is primarily wotc base-fossil as well as anything old-back and Japanese, because the prices exploded and kept on going up at an exponential rate. Of course I didnā€™t want to stop collecting Pokemon so I went after cards that havenā€™t seen as large of rises such as various periods of post-wotc, some foreign language cards, and even modern Yugioh. Recently I started buying select graded vintage again as I personally believe they wonā€™t go much lower. For example a few Japanese Neo holo CGC 9 sold for about 30$ recently. Precovid that was about 10-20$ for a PSA 9 at auction. A few months ago those Japanese Neo holos were selling between 80-150$. On the other hand if those Japanese Neo Holos sustained for 80-150$ for a year or two with little fluctuations Iā€™d be comfortable buying their new price peaks. Of course cards can crash to zero or go to the moon but I just prefer to buy when things are stable or at least increasing/decreasing at a slow rate. A lot of ā€œinvestingā€ talk in this post but as someone who is buying cards for a collection, monetary value is important to me and I donā€™t want to buy a card just for it to fall 75% the next month so periods of high volatility are important to consider when making purchases.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what this has to do with what Iā€™ve said here. My point is that asking ā€œare we in a bubble?ā€ in May 2020 is not the same thing as asking it in November 2020. It would probably be intellectually dishonest not to call whatever Logan Paul did to base set a bubble, but that is not what people were talking about in May

1 Like