The Giant English Market Thread

I think it’s totally fair to say that Base Set was in a bubble. The market as a whole? Of course not. But no one (or at least certainly not me) has claimed the whole market is a bubble. But the people who claimed back in November/December that Base Set was in a bubble were correct. A bubble doesn’t mean that something goes to zero or that it goes back to 2019 prices. The fact that Base Set quadrupled in value and subsequently retraced back to the pre-Logan Paul prices = bubble formed that popped.

Of course. I mean, you’re talking to the person who advised people to sell during the November hype, not to buy in. There were a lot of people in this thread with the idea that Base Set was going to the moon and never coming back. What I’ve been preaching is to never buy something after it recently increased in value three or four-fold. It’s that sort of basic wisdom that has triggered quite a few people on this forum – people who evidently remain triggered.

1 Like

You quoted me but literally nothing you are saying here is relevant to what I said in my post

2 Likes

And who on this thread was claiming the market was in a bubble back in May? Certainly not me. Once again, a lot of outrage against people who don’t exist or at least are no longer involved with this forum.

1 Like

You’re right; I misread your post.

2 Likes

If someone bought at the peak it’s a tough loss right now. If they sell now and cut their losses they can reinvest into whatever else they feel comfortable with. Stop losses are recommended for a reason. On the other hand they can hold the cards and have faith that prices will gradually increase year to year and reach new highs 10, 20, 50 years down the road and in the meantime they have a sweet collection to admire. 1st Edition base was impressive back during the original Pokemania. 1st Edition base set was still impressive to collectors during ex, dp+hgss+plat, bw, xy, and so on. Regardless of the price it’s an impressive set to have. I personally don’t seek out 1st edition because it’s not my thing but I still understand its place in the hobby.

2 Likes

Prices don’t have to fully revert for a bubble to end. I think that belief is a big contributor to why it was turned into a joke on E4 to begin with.

Wikipedia defines a bubble as “a situation in which asset prices appear to be based on implausible or inconsistent views about the future.” (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble) A crash (or pop) doesn’t mean prices have to fall back to exactly what they were before, rather it’s something signified by a large drop in value. The 5 phases of a bubble as noted in the linked article are:

1. Substitution: increase in the value of an asset;
  2. Takeoff: speculative purchases (buy now to sell in the future at a higher price and obtain a profit);
  3. Exuberance: a state of unsustainable euphoria;
  4. Critical stage: begin to shorten the buyers, some begin to sell;
  5. Pop (crash): prices plummet.

My limited view (as a Pichu collector and not as a general Pokémon collector) is that we can attribute certain events to those stages:

1. Early 2020 (prices beginning to increase at a much higher rate than normal and collectors from other fields beginning to take an interest);
  2. Mid-2020 (lots of pumping, little dumping);
  3. Mid-Late 2020 (Logan Paul);
  4. Early-Mid 2021 (we are possibly here right now);
  5. ?

I haven’t changed my opinion about Pokémon experiencing a bubble since I wrote my thread you linked back in April last year. I’m not expecting prices to drop to pre-2020 levels as the benefit of all this happening is that it’s attracted a lot more people into the hobby - some of whom are sure to stick around and will provide more competition than we had in 2019.

The only people who can claim victory in a bubble are the people who sell at the peak.

3 Likes

If we can discuss pump and dumps, buyouts, retraces etc. without semantical debate then we should also be capable of discussing bubbles the same way. I don’t understand the aversion to that word here.

2 Likes

Because its become an overused meaningless term: Huge price increase = bubble. Huge price decrease = bubble. Big youtuber makes a video = bubble. Pokemon center sells out = bubble. Record auction = bubble.

Honestly its difficult at this point to think of a situation that hasn’t been called a bubble. Its better if people just explain why they think something is happening.

13 Likes

I always look forward to your analysis. The fact that you have been tracking Pichu as a baseline is a great starting point.

I waited all through 2020 deciding when a good entry point may be. Its been recently that ive been purchasing cards with caution as to where we are at.

Nothing turned me off to the hobby more than the Logan Paul open mouth Youtubers. Its really SMPratte’s platform that brought me around.

Im also of the opinion that there is no true bubble if you never sell. It really depends on your outlook is what I am getting at.

1 Like

I think it traces back to the “investment” word. Those 2 words have been thrown around since years ago, what changed is the frequency and context.

They got to a point where everything and nothing is a bubble, where every single common/random card is an investment so it’s kinda hard to keep track and discuss about it in a rational way .

3 Likes

I do agree that the word has been perverted, but I don’t think that warrants the same judgement each time it is used without looking at context. In October, saying “LP’s box break started a bubble because he is a big youtube guy” is much different than saying today “LP’s box break started a bubble which has since popped, as shown by prices moving from a to b and now to c between x, y and z dates”.

What I’m trying to say is any word is meaningless when the people using it are using it in a way that is meaningless. But every word has meaning when used in a meaningful way, so while it is very easy to treat the term “bubble” as meaningless banter every time it is used, it is wrong to do so.

I’m sure because of your position you’ve experienced much more perversion of the word than I have, so I do see your side. Though I still think valid evidence deserves valid discussion no matter what terms are used.

Has the logan paul “bubble” burst? Yes, that shipped has sailed. The majority of cards that spiked during that craze has retraced to pre-logan prices.

Has the “bubble” that was 2020 popped as a whole? No, i think the growth from spring to early summer was organic and that a lot of the new people that joined during that time are generally in the hobby for the forseeable furture ( I myself am in that group). I don’t see things retracing back to pre 2020 levels, but i think a stable base of the prices from spring/early summer of 2020 is a level a lot of cards will fall back to.

As a small example, PSA 8 1st ed T17 has fallen from its $1200 price point back to 700-800 where it was during early/mid 2020.

3 Likes

the sets logan blasted to the moon were largely base - team rocket. I dont think he has influenced the prices of other sets directly at all. You could argue the growth of pokemon overall is based on him but its much clearer looking at base - rocket

1 Like

Non holo/bulk cards were never really meant to be mass graded in the first place.

With the rise in grading costs across the board, I hope people get more selective with what they send in again.

It doesn’t make sense to send $2 cards and expect them to be worth hundreds.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Can you give some specific examples of specific cards in specific grades?

I want to see how bad it is

I mean; it was obvious that the vast majority of PSA-graded non-holos wouldn’t hold the ridiculous prices they were selling for. I don’t think that’s evidence of a bubble; it’s just the natural consequent of how many non-holos are in existence and how easy they are to grade. I and others explicitly said this many months back (to ridicule — likely from people with non-holos in the backlog lol).

2 Likes

Can we stop with the bubble/bubblebath bullshit? Base set being down is not indicative of a bubble. The term “bubble” is loaded and all it really does is spread fear, uncertainty and doubt. If you say, for example, “there was a bubble in the base set valuations that burst” - fine - but the overall market is not crashing. We are in a consolidation phase. Everything will be just fine.

9 Likes

100% agree. But I haven’t seen people saying the market overall is in a bubble? There are a lot of people complaining about people calling the whole Pokemon market as a bubble but very few people actually calling the whole Pokemon market a bubble.

As usual, I agree with the majority position. It’s just that, besides Passion Executive, I haven’t seen a single person on this thread call the whole market a bubble lol. It’s always weird to see people defending against views that aren’t held by basically anyone on this forum.

1 Like