The Giant English Market Thread

+1000

Its called a two sided marketplace for a reason.

Love this, spot on. Just had this experience with selling an expedition mew holo. Been listed for £750 OBO for a while (which incidentally is about £500 less than the next cheapest BIN), plenty of low balls and passive-aggressive messages from market expert buyers. Someone comes along out of the blue with a nice close offer, very pleasant transaction. Great. It’s also like an elegant unspoken middle-finger to the low-ballers which makes a decent sale that much sweeter. Generally I’m honest with all my potential buyers though - if I don’t get offered the lowest price I’m willing to accept, I’ll just not sell it. Simple as that.

2 Likes

Wait…so buy what you like is a joke, but if you had bought what you liked, instead of BiG bRaIn InVeStOr and tried to time the market, you’d have a more satisfying collection and be financially better off?

29 Likes

sounds like paralysis by analysis.

All this intellectual discussion and most collectors who are heavily invested/have large collections just buy off instinct at this point. Buying the things I’ve liked has worked out 95% of the time and I don’t worry about timing jack squat.

15 Likes

Wait you’re telling me the whole market hasn’t been a steaming pile for awhile?

And don’t assume I’m those people. I ask for pictures of cards I’m interested in; nothing more, nothing less. I send offers based on recent sales.

Last one I did this on the seller messages ME telling me I’m an asshole for disrespecting his time because I had the audacity to request photos and because I didn’t send in a peak price offer from 4 months ago. They don’t have to sell me anything, but if they’re interested in selling right now they have to be realistic too.

“They’re holding.”

Maybe so, but ideally you shouldn’t be listing items for sale with a BO if you’re holding…

3 Likes

So you can only hold or sell, listing BIN above market, having a long term attitude, and not caring about current “bearish” trends is not a legitimate way of going about things. Sellers should cater to the Timmies who want their cards NOW at FMV! It’s not this cut and dry sell or hold, the seller can list above market and continue to raise the price over time if they want if the market catches up to the price. If an item isn’t rare and the market becomes saturated with that item then this strategy is suboptimal sure, but you complaining about it is just another teardrop of salt added to the endless stream of white noise on the internet where people get their jimmies rustled over things they have no control over.

1 Like

It’s all white noise, but I don’t see the point in setting a BIN, setting a BO with a lower minimum, and then sending me a angry message when I send in an offer you don’t like?

Sellers shouldn’t set a BO with a low minimum if they aren’t going to entertain that price point and going to get outright mad when somebody sends in said offer. Period. If you don’t do this, then my original comment wasn’t aimed at you.

Didn’t mean to derail the thread.

1 Like

Don’t try to butter me up like a dinner roll :rofl:

It was a fun time and I’m glad I was able to document it thanks to YouTube. Something like that would be nearly impossible today. PSA is a little stricter than before (they aren’t off terribly). I’ll show off where I am at the end of this year.

1 Like

This very much sounds like me. Once I buy a card (especially JP promos), I don’t even think about selling haha
My fav example being the Mario/Luigi promos…bought last year and never sold any. Wish I had a few more (although I have a few) :blush:

Agree 100%. I haven’t dropped prices on my stuff because I don’t really care if it sells any time soon. Still making sales on a pretty much daily basis, frequency has just dropped off gradually over the past few months. Never understood the people who bother to message me and ask if I can give them a deal because they can get the card cheaper elsewhere. Like… okay. Buy the card elsewhere! I don’t give a shit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m not Walmart, I’m not gonna price match to try and keep your business lol.

3 Likes

Switched a few of my listings to auctions after a desirable buyer ghosted me last minute. Ended up less than I wanted but the person was really happy to get the card so I’m choosing to focus on that.

Listed another card I hoped to sell for ~$75 at a $1 starting auction and it ends soon and hasn’t even cracked $10. Woof. Hopefully it gets a lot of last minute action.

I’m glad I sold my errant PSA 10s when I did though since I got a lot of money out of them.

Knowing how much my own sales have declined I decided to check out the asking prices for a few of my outstanding Neo Destiny 1st editions. Doesn’t seem like they’ve changed much, at least not the ones in the condition I want.

1 Like

Diamond hands always going to come out on top.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any data on what happens to old card prices when a new modern set drops? Ex.: did chonky Pikachu from VV cause a WOTC era Pikachu increase?

This is comparing apples to oranges plus saying “wotc era pikachu” is just too broad. Perhaps giving the name of x card could help so we can provide better data.

2 Likes

I know there are a few new Octillery collectors ever since battle styles…

1 Like

@ultraluxurycardboard, its hard to determine if x causes y. Most likely any trend you see may just be correlational.

2 Likes

Coincidental?

@admiral, yeah maybe even to that extreme

Tht mint base 1st set 102+ that sold today at goldin has me laughing. Amazing buy though for whoever got it

1 Like