The Giant Deal Thread

3 Likes

@caughtatpoint, It’s less frustrating to me now that I have accepted the very likely reality that it is simply a fraudulent listing. Not much to see.

3 Likes

Definitely!

2 Likes

right now, there are so many opportunities to get bargains because many people are not hyper aware of market movements/dynamics. i am seeing many deals right now which unfortunately due to assets being tied up elsewhere I just cannot go and buy them! ahhh…almost a similar frustration as a non-responsive seller.

Am I missing something here? A standard set of the 4 sealed WB Black Star Promos at an auction price over $250 with less than 24 hours to go… I just bought a few sets for $30 a piece last week! Is it simply the fact that it is TCA selling them that demands some ridiculous premium? Just found this odd when I searched through what is available.

2 Likes

Very much so! TCA Gaming has over 13,000 followers on eBay. That is to say over 13,000 people receive emails whenever he sticks up new listings. All it takes is 2 or 3 of those 13,000 people to think Hey, I want this! whilst also being too lazy to look up the prices of other listings to suddenly enter a completely pointless bidding war.

You see this with big name sellers all the time. Someone bought a PSA 10 Munch Rowlet from Scott for $300 whilst mine and about 6 others were up on eBay for around the $125 mark a few months back - some people just have more money than sense.

5 Likes

It’s not always laziness. Some people are willing to pay a premium for a seller they know from reputation will have no issues with vs a random low feedback user on eBay with the same card. I purchased a card from TCA Gaming this week that was about 8% more expensive than the other psa 10 on eBay because it would be stress - free and support an e4 member.

7 Likes

This exactly. Reputation and location from a seller are definitely worth more than a few % upcharge to me as well. I´ll gladly buy any card I want for 20-30% more from my own country and a seller that I know will cause no problems.

edit: import is already 20% in my country, add (express) shipping cost, extended wait times and currency conversion fees on top of that.

I guess I’m the only one that actively goes out of their way to buy from shady sellers with no or only a few feedbacks and account created 2 weeks ago?

85% of the time I get a bargain on the card as the seller is forced to sell the card for 85-75% of what it’s worth because no one else is brave (foolish) enough to do business with them, and 15% of the time I get scammed and just file a dispute and get my money back.

It hasn’t gone wrong for me yet.

I actively go on ebay and hunt for sellers with no feedback, negatives, new accounts and send them lowball offers.

That´s great, sometimes it´s worth to take a risk. Personally I want to avoid any kind of headache related to purchases as much as possible, there´s already enough other stuff to worry about ;D

1 Like

If you are continually filing cases with eBay as a high percentage of your transactions (~15%) they will likely take away your money back guarantee at some point. I have not experienced this but have read about it happening to others.

That’s distressing to hear.

Even if it’s because of fraud? If I open a case on ebay, that means that the seller I opened it on has probably 10 or more active cases open against them, and they are getting banned on ebay soon.

It’s pretty rare that someone will just sell one $100 card and be content, they always sell a bunch of cards, trying to cash in before ebay bans them.

Do they really hold it against you if you open cases against people that have 5, 10, 15 cases opened against them in the same 2-3 day period?

Some guy sold a collection of PSA graded 1st editions, like 10 different listings, and uploaded fake tracking numbers and then disappeared.

That’s the only case I had to escalate to ebay in the past couple years.

**The majority of sellers with 3 or 4 feedbacks and new accounts selling rare, expensive cards actually send them in the mail and it’s legit.**At least in my limited experience, I have bought maybe 20 cards on ebay in the past month or two, 1 guy outright scammed me and one guy lied to me.

That’s not that bad in my eyes for new sellers with no rep.

eBays system does take into account how many cases you open, but it’s more complex than just a number. The fact that you’re opening them against accounts that are routinely banned is a factor, and I’m sure most of the accounts that get banned will be removed from your total.

It’s also more likely to be a percentage threshold rather than a number, if you’re at 15% and majority of the members you open cases against are banned you’re probably within the threshold of safe buyer.

You’re not the only one who will buy from low feedback people. I don’t do it nearly as much as I used to (I don’t need to anymore) but I used to do it quite often.

2 Likes

Unlimited Ray goldstar on auction but it looks like it’s being shilled :confused:

www.ebay.com/itm/Rayquaza-GOLD-STAR-japanese-GEM-Mint-PSA-10-Pristine-Ex-Deoxys-SUPER-rare-BGS/254757138415?hash=item3b50b56fef:g:JaIAAOSwqARfkryt

Meanwhile there is a listing for a Kyogre, which is pop 12 compared to pop 106 of the Ray, available for $800 BIN. The Rayquaza tax is real.

2 Likes

That on was out of the ordinary as I had the BUY NOW up for $99.99 while the auction was still live.

6 Likes

Did your Latios gold Star sell? Noticed it went missing on your page.

“Rayquaza tax” ??

When are people going to understand that there is supply AND demand. Just because one card is low pop doesn’t mean it should automatically be more than a card that has higher pop. Rayquaza Gold Star is just an iconic card that a lot more people want. And if you think there is a pricing issue, buy the Kyogre lol. Should be free money, right?

1 Like

I think that’s what greenshoots meant lol. ‘Rayquaza tax’ = Rayquaza’s popularity leads to a large premium on Rayquaza cards. This is what I think he meant, at least.

3 Likes

In that sense I guess but it isn’t something to be surprised at / nothing out of the ordinary.