The Craziest Message, Ever

I received hands down, the craziest letter in the mail today:

20 Likes

Our kid took the Japanese contest prize card to daycare. Mmmmm yeah.

5 Likes

I actually spoke with the husband on the phone, he apologized and was a super chill guy. He said that his wife doesn’t know what the hell she is talking about.

There was also a photo of the kid attached, as well as a note with a 70k offer.

Wow, I’m glad you edited that, it sounded like they were offering a kid for your card!

2 Likes

Wow yep that one takes the cake. all I can say is WOW!!

1 Like

I wasn’t taking the “offer” seriously. Still cannot believe the gumption of this lady. I have had these messages before, especially a couple years back when there was national coverage of the card. Never had someone send me a letter, with a photo of the kid as well.

Now that you mention it, I pulled up the auction and that appears to be my card! Thank you for finding it!! My dog actually buried it in the backyard and we believe thieves dug it up and sold it online. I will PM you my address, otherwise the Sheriff of Pokemon will be called.

I really shouldn’t poke fun, she sounds like she might have some legit issues.

8 Likes

I love that a 70k offer was attached.

“Listen, that’s my card. It was stolen. You better give it back. Also I’ll offer you 70,000 dollars for it.”

I bet she would have put their family in debt for that thing, just why

I would frame the letter. This is just too good!

1 Like

lol this made me laugh a clear example of someone not knowing jack s**t about Pokemon xD Yea ok your kid won it at a Pokemon tournament at the age of what 5 ? xD

1 Like

Some people have too much time on their hands lol. I wonder if she actually thought this would work xD

1 Like

Oh the kid’s real… The story must be true as well!

Ha yeah! I bet the picture she sent is the first one that comes up when you type ‘child’ into Google Images!

I explained to the husband that unless she specifically paid a ton of money, there is literally no way her son could own this card. I was polite and explained that unless her kid was somehow a kid in Japan, 1998, participated in the coro coro design contest, won the contest, and was handed the card in person, she doesn’t own the card.

Oh and to add to the level of crazy, this individual was never a customer and found my address…

A possible theory I surmised is that she purchased a fake copy of the card. She did mention she bought a copy from an individual, which was around the exact same time the abundant fakes were on ebay and eventually removed by Pokemon Nintendo.

If this did occur, it is a great example of why fake copies are terrible.

1 Like

But also hilarious… Unfortunately for her that is. If she truly purchased a fake though I don’t see why she would all of a sudden try get the one that is graded and also quite a few thousand dollars more expensive than hers?

Damn Crazy alright! I guess the value and the ‘illustrious’ notoriety of the card means you get bat shit crazy stuff like this!

I just think some people have right balls to try this on, I mean honestly how did they expect you to respond :laughing:

1 Like

@woolsluk I am probably trying to overly rationalize the irrational and give her the benefit of the doubt. I honestly don’t know what she expects.

@cljdavis Unfortunately this is not the first of this type of message. This is the first physical letter I have received, but I have had nut jobs message me on ebay with unreal demands. People saying I need to donate the card, that I am apparently a multi-millionaire (news to me) and need to give them the card. I have had life stories, and so many other bullshit opinions that I guess are indicative of the social media era.

2 Likes

I’m going to enjoy these messages once i post my ex series collection for $100k. I’m hoping it’ll transition into card leads but the odd messages will be unexpected joys.

1 Like